San Diego, CA

Posted June 12, 2015
I am a former student going into the 7th Grade this upcoming year. I came here from a different school 2 months before school ended this year in 6th Grade. Everyone was nice and rarely insulted each other, and if they ever did, It wouldn't be on purpose and they would usually apologize immediately. This school provides a positive environment, and I learned a lot from two months. I came from a not too good school, and I loved this change. The students here are wonderful people and I love this school. In my other school, I used to be called "emo trash", in this school, no one cares scene/emo or not. I love this school. People of all types and different backgrounds are accepted with open arms.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 12, 2015
I learned a lot in two months. Imagine how much you can learn in a whole school year!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 12, 2015
Considering this is an independent study, it's just right. They are very through. The parents are always involved and know what is going on.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 12, 2015
They treat students like little college students and each teacher loves their students and takes personal interest in them.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 12, 2015
They fix every problem immediately to finding a cigarette butt on the ground to fixing the swings to providing extra events to make students feel special.

Mt. Everest Academy 4

Posted May 24, 2015
We've had a positive experience at MEA. This is our third year. We come from a homeschooling background and this has been a nice addition to our kids' education. Definitely worth checking out if you think a mix of homeschooling/traditional school could be a good fit for your child. The school offers the usual state textbooks and worksheets, but there is a lot of flexibility to do what you want at the elementary level and a good bit at the middle school level (though the optional once-a-week classes are more useful in middle school if following similar curriculum at home). I've been impressed with the high school teachers and think many teens could benefit from the freedom and responsibility MEA provides. I find it to be a positive, tolerant, and encouraging environment. A big thanks to the teachers, staff, and families that share their love of learning at Mt. Everest Academy!

Posted June 06, 2014
My daughter is finishing her 2nd year (8th grade) at this school. Enrolling her at Mt Everest was the best thing we ever did. She can progress at her pace, especially in math where she is 1 year ahead. She learns much more on her own at home than she would be by sitting in a classroom everyday for 6 hours. One day of study group with the teachers and others kids is plenty. She is learning to work independently and howt avoid procrastination. The teachers are great, very supportive and always available when they are not teaching. The school offers a lot of extracurricular activities, field trips, performances, etc... We are hoping she can stay at the school until she finishes high school. However, there is no magic: if your kid is not motivated, doesn't work well independently, especially for higher grades, a more traditional school is better. We tried it first for a couple of months before making the jump.

Posted March 23, 2014
For the child who is not challenged at his/her current school, this school is a marvel. The staff takes a personal interest in each child and the children are encouraged not only to strive, but to take independent ownership of their education. My child is in 5th grade and we did not see such "independence" on the horizon for some time to come in our previous high-performing charter school. My child also likes the fact that he can participate in classes according to his ability, not his age. He is taking math a year ahead of his grade, and a language with high school students, both of which are a challenge that he hadn't previously encountered but is excited to meet. It has been a great experience for him and he likes it so much that he is working hard to ensure that we don't feel the sting of the extra parent work to keep him here. That is good because it is indeed considerable extra work for the parents. Also note, this school isn't for all kids. Those who need to be motivated to do school work will find the lack of structure to be challenging. We have a younger son that we'd love to send here, but it just won't work for him.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 24, 2013
If you are looking for the best of both worlds, look no further. The staff is extremely supportive for your home schooling efforts and really come alongside you to assist and encourage you. The class size is unbeatable and with having freedom to use my own chosen curriculum (for younger grades), I can't complain. As long as we are working hard and meeting standards, we are given all the choices a regular home schooling family could want. The only difference is you get a regular group of kids to meet with and they are taught by certified elementary teachers who know how to teach and what best practices are out there. That with the combined elective choices and free resources- MT Everest is hard to beat. I love seeing the principal walking around campus engaging in the student body and parents every time I'm there. It's hard to imagine putting my kids in a regular school after doing this one. Visiting is what sold me, and although I'd love to keep it a secret, I have to be honest and say as a former teacher- this school is amazing! You just have to see it in action to believe it.

Posted September 03, 2013
My school is amazing. In my ten years of school, I have been to eight different schools, always returning to this one. I'm a student, and I think this is a good school for kids with initiative. The teachers expect a lot from us, and it's hard. But for people like me, with a want to learn as much as I can and get into a good college, it's perfect. It's not at all anti-social, in fact we are better speakers than most other kids. I think that people leave our school because they feel they are not getting enough support. Bu the teachers will help anyone who wants it, as long as they ask. My history and English teachers are amazing, and I wouldn't leave this school for anything.

4350 Mount Everest Boulevard, San Diego, CA  92117
Last modified Mt. Everest Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mt. Everest Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top