Public charter
San Diego, CA

Posted August 11, 2011
Explorer gives children an opportunity to become deep, caring thinkers, engaged learners, and excellent communicators. None of this would be possible without a great minds of this community working together to design a learning program in which everyone -- children, parents, and staff -- are a part of the process. Explorer's use of gifted-level learning strategies for ALL children makes it a place children LOVE to learn. Excellent principal, outstanding staff, supportive parents, great volunteers working together to help children learn that the world is a beautiful, complex and wonderous place to learn and grow.

Posted August 01, 2011
As the martial arts enrichment instructor at Explorer Elementary, I have to say that I have never seen a more tight knit faculty and a more nurturing principal than Jill Green. She genuinely cares deeply for her teachers, parents and students. Each time she has stopped by my class, she treats the children with such kindness and love and is respectful to me as the instructor. She has definitely created a comfortable place where children feel safe to be themeselves and also where teachers feel safe enough to express their creativity.

Posted July 30, 2011
The founding principal of Explorer Elementary changed our lives for the better when we received our acceptance letters! We as parents feel that her profound, unique vision brought Explorer to the heights it stands tall at today. She communicates well with parents and has always made our children feel safe, loved and heard. She is excellent at helping children come to peaceful solutions when there is conflict and we have personally witnessed her calming very emotional children is such a soothing way. The social and emotional curriculum is phenominal. Her parenting classes are so enriching. She and the teachers treat the children like real people and address their emotions so lovingly.

Posted June 28, 2011
We joined Explorer Elementary the first year it opened in La Jolla and followed when it moved down to Pt. Loma. Jill Green, the principle welcomed us with open arms 11 years ago and made each and every day special. I have a debt of gratitude to Jill Green and the faculty of Explorer for helping us educate the our children, as well as educating us to be better parents. Our children feel that they are a part of Explorer and that Explorer will always be a part of them. Jill Green's vision of what a school should and can be is the foundation of what has made Explorer so successful. I truly feel blessed to have been able to have my family be a part of this community. Thank you for 11 amazing years and a lifetime of memories!

Posted June 28, 2011
Finding a school that supported children's social and emotional development inspired our family to send our children to Explorer. From our first day at the school, we noticed the friendly and welcoming culture and environment found from the hallways to inside classrooms. This special school was established and guided by the founding principal's vision and leadership. Her love for all students is apparent when she tells a personal story about every graduating fifth grader for over 10 years.

Explorer Elementary School 4

Posted June 01, 2010
Love the school but i do not think the job-sharing is good for the students.

Posted April 29, 2010
Explorer Elementary has given both of my children a priceless foundation of emotional and social intelligence as well as an incredibly impressive academic experience. We feel extremely fortunate to have been a part of Explorer's community.

Explorer Elementary School 0

Posted April 18, 2010
I love this school and I have had the privelege of being there when we first opened,and have had two graduate from their and am on my third child going ther and I would not want her anywhere but Explorer..

Posted March 17, 2010
Explorer is an amazing school. The 2-star review included in this section is completely inaccurate. We have found Jill to be extremely accomodating & responsive (she holds Principal-Parent meetings regularly & always available in her office). I have never met a parent who hoped for a larger teacher:student ratio. The school is an excellent one & we consider ourselves extremely fortunate to be part of it. Nowhere else have I experienced Kindergarteners learning about Pointillism, Matisse, Picasso - while balancing social-emotional educational opportunities & fun experiences. With regard to violent behavior management - my experience thus far has been such that any inappropriate behavioral interaction of any kind is met with swift, firm guidance. This is an amazing school & one that will no doubt continue in its excellence.

Explorer Elementary School 2

Posted March 16, 2010
Explorer has a multitude of part time teachers. They do fund raising yet have 4 teachers per class/not an effective use of money. The principal is great with the kids but difficult for parents to communicate with. She cannot handle any criticism. People who donate more with kids who are violent will not have their kids kicked out. Many of the teachers are awesome, however their are too many on the payroll.

Explorer Elementary School
2230 Truxtun Road, First Floor, San Diego, CA  92106
Last modified Explorer Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Explorer Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top