San Diego, CA
Students enrolled: 1,224
Before care: Yes

Ocean View Hills School 3

Posted July 29, 2013
I am the parent that wrote about having three children at the school last year! First of all I have met with the teacher, assistant principal, counselor, RSP teacher. Through out last year I had many many meeting. The 8th grade teacher IS very unorganized, I have talked to many parents that have the same problem with one of the teachers. Children would turn in work get it signed and turned around and get no credit. When parents speak to the child, and can prove they have done it, then take it back to teacher. Teacher tells student in order to get full credit you have to redo. REDO something teacher has signed. Not right at all. I understand that the 8th graders are being prepared for high school, but it is way overwhelming. 8th grade final for PE - write an bio as if you are 70 yrs. I think this is something more for English not PE. What happen to PE being about PE? Looking forward to see what the school has to bring this year.

Ocean View Hills School 4

Posted April 01, 2013
I have had children in OVHS almost since the school opened. My children have received a quality education at OVHS. They were well prepared for high school and college. The recent homework debate here is something that needs to separated from the review of the school itself. I don't feel that my children have had excess homework while at OVHS. However, I do understand parent's concerns about the need for a break from school work. In fact, Harvard recommends such a break for high school students and I have seen the stress in my oldest from never having a true break in HS. (she was one of the ope students in her graduating class). I have another child in a HS with a traditional calendar and like having the summer break. If homework is an issue it is always a good idea to talk to the teacher and keeo in mind that high school will probably be similar.

Ocean View Hills School 4

Posted March 29, 2013
To the Parent complaining about the amount of school work.. Both my kids attend this school in fact I my son attended first grade when they opened. From the beginning the Staff & Parents wanted the curriculum taught to help our kids prepare for high school & so they could take the Honors or AP courses (for College Credit) Both my kids are in high schoool (they have 6 different teachers) & are enrolled in Honors/AP classes so they have alot more homework now. I feel that they are doing well in their classes because they had to learn how to manage their time & began to develop study skills in the 7th & 8th grade. I know it's tough to see your child not be able to enjoy their vacation or have to sit in another room because they have homework. I remember having to cut trips short or cancell plans because my son or daughter had to finish a report or project. The Teachers understand this but they also know what your child will be facing next year so they are trying to teach both the kids & Parents about time management for studying & develop better study skills. I'm almost positive the Teacher does not want your child to fail which is why all 3 of you should meet to resolve this matter

Ocean View Hills School 3

Posted March 27, 2013
I currently have three children in this school. I have a 8th grader, 6th grader, and a 5th grader... We have so many problems with the 8th grader teacher. The teachers act like this is college or something. The children are not allowed a break. When the children have day or week/s off they assign so much work. My 8th grader is behind in work, but its a never ending battle and my child is unable to catch up due to the amount of homework. I really dislike a few teachers. We have had problems with work being turned in and signed by teacher and still get no credit. I have talked with other parents and have found out that this is not only happening with my child but other children. This is WRONG! I hope the teachers are able to enjoy their spring break, because my child is not able to... My child has not been able to enjoy any breaks. They only get 5 weeks off for summer, That is the only time my children get to be children and enjoy themselves.

Posted October 21, 2012
I wouldn't recommend this public school to anyone. As being a student since kindergarten, the students that embody the school aren't good role models to the younger grade levels. Even if they modernized the buildings and classrooms, the school overall isn't so great. We're behind in science and social studies and ever since I moved I don't think this school helped me at all. And each year they aren't improving; no, each year it's getting worst. The students become more liberated, the staff, teachers, and council get lazier, and there is no sign of improvement in this school. But OVHS has potential and luck, but they aren't using their resources wisely. Just to let you know for all the parents out there that are thinking their kid would be happier and would process the right education for the average American learning standard, think again. You may notice a dramatic change in your child's behavior and a drop in their grades if they hang out with the wrong people. As I have said, I was a former student of this school and kids here are just way too liberated. If you don't want your child bullied, then don't enter this school.

Posted August 14, 2012
This school cares more about the money than the students. They cram as many children in one room as humanly possible and then assign only one teacher for all the kids. They recently built a brand new school and originally had one teacher for every 15 or so kids but now they have one teacher for 32 kindergartners. What's worse is they made the children not only change up classrooms but teachers and the way they learn as well. If you want your kids to actually get an education then do them and yourself a favor and do NOT send them to this school.

Posted June 24, 2012
Awesome school. Wonderful teachers and staff. My child recently completed 8th grade from Ocean View Hills; started from Kindergarten. Kudos to all the teachers and staff throughout those years for doing a great job. The school is focused on the success of the students, providing guidance and challenges. Aside from the outstanding academic teaching, there are sports, music, news blog, and other activities that help kids develop leadership, teamwork, and social skills (while having fun). Overall, this school is awesome.

Posted March 26, 2012
I've been a student at this school since kindergarten.I am now in sixth grade. This school has definitely progressed throughout the years and made me proud to see it grow. The staff work hard and they want the best for everyone. There are plenty of sports and after school activities. The teachers always plans stuff out as grade teams and figure out a way for the students to get what they are learning in a very fun way. You be amazed at how much we learn and how much we actually remember! The principal knows me and she is very nice. All the students here are very creative and bring new ideas to this school. For example, a group of fifth graders last year created a clean-up committee to help out the school. Overall, this school is really amazing. All the kids are very welcoming to new students and barely no one bullies at our school anymore. So you should give this school a shot. It is really AWESOME!!!

Posted January 22, 2012
It's been a great experience at this school-- teachers and principal have great academic program. They have high expectations of students and parents and provide them with support and structure. I had bad experience in other school with daughter were they led me to believe she was doing fine in all areas. But here I discovered that she wasn't and with teacher advise and support my child is now at level. I thank them for showing care about the kids!!!

Posted November 30, 2011
We are very disappointed and naw quite frustrated with the indifferent and often rude attitude of the school principal Mrs.Rivera Several occasions she approached to me in a very aggresive manner,in my opinion the principal is a detriment to the school.Teachers are average,well we are in public school :/

Ocean View Hills School
4919 Del Sol Boulevard, San Diego, CA  92154
Last modified Ocean View Hills School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ocean View Hills School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top