Posted April 28, 2014
My daughter attends kindergarten here and it's been good for her, so far. She enjoys going to school everyday and though there are 21-23 kids per class, the children are able to maintain a relationship with the teacher and the teacher is able to give her attention to each child's needs by organizing after-school classes.

Posted October 24, 2013
I was concerned when my child started school here because it seemed large (about 700 students), but it is organized and run in a way that makes it seem much smaller. We have strong parent involvement and an incredible teaching staff. Love it!

Torrey Hills School 4

Posted March 09, 2012
Torrey Hills Elementary is such a wonderful school. My oldest daughter attended 6th grade and my yougest daughter started in 1st, now in 2nd grade. The communication between parent and teacher is wonderful (email and websites in any school is helpful!). The neighborhood is so safe. Parents drive a bit fast but I guess that is CA for you. NO bullying! Every child is so sweet to each other. There is a buddy reading time...6th graders spend time reading with the 1st graders...so cute! PTA is VERY active! I hope the lack of funds in the school districts don't mess with these GREAT SCHOOLS!

Posted February 09, 2012
I am extremely happy with this school. My son started kindergarten in August and his teachers have been the best. He is a very energetic little boy that takes a lot to keep him focused and they have done a wonderful job and been very patient. He went from the beginning of the year only knowing how to write his name to now writing short sentences and he can read over 50 sight words (they learn on average 5/week). I was suprised when the principal helped him out at drop off, and he knew her by name! So I think its safe to assume that she is involved with the children's activities. Also, the parents are extremely involved, and often there is a parent volunteer in the classroom virtually every day. The kindergartners only go for 1/2 days, but one day a week they have an extended day which is split up by the individual educational needs of the children. So if one child is reading chapter books, they attend their extended day on a different day from a child who is still learning the sounds of the letters. This is very important so that each child has a more individulalized education when at this stage there is great variance in 20 different kids.

Torrey Hills School 4

Posted September 16, 2011
My review was cut off. It was supposed to say, "we are very sorry that the Principal that was there from September 2007-June 2011 left very suddenly in June" . . .

Posted August 02, 2011
Love this school. The staff is very caring, and really takes the time to look at each child as an individual. The principal is on grounds, active in after school activities and always available to assist parents. She knows each kid by name. The education the kids are getting is top-notch, including music, art and extra science instruction. so lucky to be able to send my kids to this school.

Torrey Hills School 3

Posted December 13, 2010
As a former student here who now attends Princeton (although I still live across the street and my sister currently attends) I must say that this was one of the shoddier elementary schools I've been at, and I attended several. Many of the teachers I had (and which are still there) were young and probably there only because they were intellectually incapable of teaching anybody at a higher level. Since I've graduated, Principal Wilson and the few quality teachers I had there have since moved on. As far as gifted programs go, when I was there it was virtually nonexistent and about just as useful, and students from other schools were able to accelerate further in math before entering middle school (ie taking Algebra I in sixth grade). The arts programs were quite good (the music teacher, who I hear is still the same, and the band program were both highlights) but the science and technology programs are grossly overrated. As far as I know, the state of affairs here is much as the "two-star" parent commenter wrote (the one who used arbitrary capitalization and noted that things are going downhill) but it still remains difficult to get into this school.

Posted September 09, 2010
I am happy with my child's overall development in the school, especially when she joined mid term last year.

Posted August 18, 2010
My child has enjoyed a very enriched environment at this school. The principal is very involved, and it is clear that she cares about the children. Its scores are consistently in the top 3 in the district, which is saying a lot since all of the DMUSD schools score high.

Torrey Hills School 2

Posted July 13, 2010
Sadly, this school is slowly beginning to sink into the deep abyss of bad schools. Yes, it's a harsh criticism for a school that was once a distinguished school, but that's what happens when you lose a Top Rated Principal in a district that is struggling financially, with Board Members fighting amongst themselves and against the ex-District Superintendent, who was hired after the Board fired the previous Superintendent. Now we have a new Superintendent . You do the Math. It s a mess. I heard and saw warnings from other parents, there are a large number of parents who have done intra-district transfers to other schools in the DMUSD, some have out right moved, and one parent I met last week said he now Home Schools his children because of his experience with Torrey Hills. Yikes. If this school year gets any worse than last year I'm gonna Home School too.

Torrey Hills School
10830 Calle Mar De Mariposa, San Diego, CA  92130
Last modified Torrey Hills School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Torrey Hills School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top