San Diego, CA
Students enrolled: 2,372

Westview High School 1

Posted November 18, 2014
The staff was very rude. I was trying to explain a mishap on the phone with a lady that works at Westview Finance. My daughter was explaining her situation and I wanted to speak to her. She wouldn't allowed me to speak within her behalf. After my daughter out of the phone with me, the lady yelled at my daughter for being "rude" and "unprofessional". She made my daughter cry with her hurtful comments and it was unprofessional on her terms as well. The staff is supposed to care for a students' needs, but lashing them with hurtful comments.

Westview High School 5

Posted October 24, 2014
My son is a Sophomore at Westview this year. He has had a fabulous experience so far. The 4x4 schedule can be challenging for some, but you have to choose the right classes each term. Obviously, you will be overwhelmed if you choose four tough subjects. The great thing about this schedule is that is allows for the students to take many different electives or even an off-roll period every term. My son does very well because he only has to focus on three subjects of homework each night! The teachers have been caring, encouraging, motivated and well trained. The class sizes are huge, but somehow they managed to reach, and even get to know, my quiet son. They seem to truly care about how each student does in their class and go out of their way to be helpful. My child is involved in sports and several extra curricular activities. The workload is challenging, but I feel Westview is doing a great job preparing him for the real world.

Posted September 03, 2014
Very disappointed in this school. Was surprised that the teachers were so mean and actually bullied and ridiculed the students. Our recent experience explains and confirms the recent negative national news reports regarding Westview.

Westview High School 1

Posted June 19, 2014
My child was expelled from Westview two weeks after the counselor called me in to discuss my child's special needs and low test scores. The local chater schools are full of struggling learners expelled by Poway schools.

Westview High School 5

Posted June 11, 2014
Westview High School is where my grand daughters are going to school. The academic standards are high, the sports programs excellent and they have done quite well. They both have taken numerous AP courses and have GPAs above 4. Having high achieving Asian students is generally a plus although some of them are not very helpful to their peers. Overall--top notch.

Posted December 28, 2013
Personally I am a student and I believe after transferring to this school sophomore year I've seen my GPA drop by a huge amount, not because I've gotten lazy but the school is incredibly hard classes are rushed , and the teachers aren't the best but I can't lie if ur son or daughter is a fast learner and puts in several hours to study then I guess they should go here but I think it's a bad school , the students r stuck up and don't care for one another , except to get help or use eachother for good grades but the kids who aren't that smart r pushed away and don't get attention as much as the smart kids and the counselors and teachers don't give much attention to the not so smart students so in my opinion bad school and I really wish I could transfer it's to much pressure and now I am a junior

Westview High School 3

Posted December 28, 2013
My son currently attends Westview and I must admit it is a great school in it's academics but it's to much stress on a kid and I've seen my son depressed because he doesn't feel he does good enough and the 4x4 schedule is completely insane, I'm doing everything to move my son to another school as soon as possible and I encourage other parents to stay away from this school

Posted October 21, 2013
westview's 4x4 is ridiculous. i go to westview currently and the workload is way too extreme for me. i have never been all that smart anyway but westview is making my life hell. i am an athlete and honestly, sports is all i really have going for me, but if westview keeps moving at such a rapid pace, i wont even get into college. im a junior right now and ive been academically ineligible 3 times already. because westview is so focused on AP classes and sending kids to ivy league colleges simply for publicity. it leaves students like me that are working their tails off but just arent smart enough in the dust

Westview High School 4

Posted August 20, 2013
This is challenging school academically. It caters to the needs of a large Asian (and other races) population that possesses an admirable culture of academic achievement. In my opinion their obsessive emphasis on education is almost unhealthy; where every aspect of their children s lives are consumed with academics or filling in a box for community service credit. My child transferred into the district from a school program on the other end of this spectrum. But I have to say it was these very high standards and the diligent help of the teachers, counselors and administrator staff that over a two year period helped her transform into a competent student that lettered in a sport and will now go on to purse higher education. It changed her life and I am very grateful for her experience at this school. Parent

Westview High School 3

Posted August 11, 2013
The last two reviews are pretty much spot on. In addition there seems to be a focus on academic competitiveness at the expense of actual teaching. Even if your child has been a great student at other schools they can end up feeling like they are getting left behind due to the attitude of SOME of the teachers and administration. If your child has been an average to below average student elsewhere the problem is compounded. The best recommendation I as a parent can give is to be a strong advocate for your child, and have them avoid getting into the whole "who is best" business that seems to be encouraged by some teachers and staff. Again, be a strong voice for your child.

Westview High School
13500 Camino Del Sur, San Diego, CA  92129
(858) 780-2000
Last modified Westview High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westview High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top