Westview High School 1

Posted June 19, 2014
My child was expelled from Westview two weeks after the counselor called me in to discuss my child's special needs and low test scores. The local chater schools are full of struggling learners expelled by Poway schools.

Westview High School 5

Posted June 11, 2014
Westview High School is where my grand daughters are going to school. The academic standards are high, the sports programs excellent and they have done quite well. They both have taken numerous AP courses and have GPAs above 4. Having high achieving Asian students is generally a plus although some of them are not very helpful to their peers. Overall--top notch.

Posted December 28, 2013
Personally I am a student and I believe after transferring to this school sophomore year I've seen my GPA drop by a huge amount, not because I've gotten lazy but the school is incredibly hard classes are rushed , and the teachers aren't the best but I can't lie if ur son or daughter is a fast learner and puts in several hours to study then I guess they should go here but I think it's a bad school , the students r stuck up and don't care for one another , except to get help or use eachother for good grades but the kids who aren't that smart r pushed away and don't get attention as much as the smart kids and the counselors and teachers don't give much attention to the not so smart students so in my opinion bad school and I really wish I could transfer it's to much pressure and now I am a junior

Westview High School 3

Posted December 28, 2013
My son currently attends Westview and I must admit it is a great school in it's academics but it's to much stress on a kid and I've seen my son depressed because he doesn't feel he does good enough and the 4x4 schedule is completely insane, I'm doing everything to move my son to another school as soon as possible and I encourage other parents to stay away from this school

Posted October 21, 2013
westview's 4x4 is ridiculous. i go to westview currently and the workload is way too extreme for me. i have never been all that smart anyway but westview is making my life hell. i am an athlete and honestly, sports is all i really have going for me, but if westview keeps moving at such a rapid pace, i wont even get into college. im a junior right now and ive been academically ineligible 3 times already. because westview is so focused on AP classes and sending kids to ivy league colleges simply for publicity. it leaves students like me that are working their tails off but just arent smart enough in the dust

Westview High School 4

Posted August 20, 2013
This is challenging school academically. It caters to the needs of a large Asian (and other races) population that possesses an admirable culture of academic achievement. In my opinion their obsessive emphasis on education is almost unhealthy; where every aspect of their children s lives are consumed with academics or filling in a box for community service credit. My child transferred into the district from a school program on the other end of this spectrum. But I have to say it was these very high standards and the diligent help of the teachers, counselors and administrator staff that over a two year period helped her transform into a competent student that lettered in a sport and will now go on to purse higher education. It changed her life and I am very grateful for her experience at this school. Parent

Westview High School 3

Posted August 11, 2013
The last two reviews are pretty much spot on. In addition there seems to be a focus on academic competitiveness at the expense of actual teaching. Even if your child has been a great student at other schools they can end up feeling like they are getting left behind due to the attitude of SOME of the teachers and administration. If your child has been an average to below average student elsewhere the problem is compounded. The best recommendation I as a parent can give is to be a strong advocate for your child, and have them avoid getting into the whole "who is best" business that seems to be encouraged by some teachers and staff. Again, be a strong voice for your child.

Posted January 17, 2013
Westview does have excellent teachers overall. . The leadership is lacking in the past two years. The current principal delegates matters of real import that might negatively impact the school's image to someone else and associates himself only with those positive aspects of the school. Doesn't seem to take ownership of the entire school just the "good stuff." There is a lot of "good stuff." Unfortunately, there are also serious issues that need to be addressed and valiant vice principals who get little support from the Principal are swimming upstream. This is a community that has entitlement issues and students who are differently abled learners do not get the support they need to become academically successful independent adults. Classes represented as "collaborative" being taught by a general ed and special ed teacher together really taught by the GE teacher and an aide w/o credentials. "special needs" are funneled into one size fits all Learning Strategies classes which after four years often leave them truly disabled. The focus is on the high performing students and those with challenges that could be overcome with proper support will not likely progress.

Westview High School 4

Posted October 01, 2012
I've got a self-motivated kiddo (11th grade) who is taking Honors/AP classes and I am wondering if we made the right decision. She's always been a top performer but sleep is an issue...the workload isn't possible. I am wishing we'd saved the college level classes for college.

Westview High School 5

Posted July 17, 2011
I honestly loved my time at Westview. I got involved with the yearbook staff my freshman year, and it enabled me to grow into a well-rounded, knowledgeable, and active student. By the end of my high school career, I was going to at least one club a day, and loved being at school every day. The 4x4 schedule was a great preparation for college, and I'm very glad my course schedule was organized in that way. The "longer" class periods allow for a lot of material to be covered in the course of a day. In particular, I truly enjoyed all of my honors and AP English course teachers. They certainly prepared me for the volume of writing required in college. Westview as a whole is definitely academically competitive. Many students will work very hard to get straight A's, and if you aren't an amazing student, it may be a little discouraging. All I can say is that I haven't met a teacher there who wouldn't be willing to help you out if you just ask for it. There's also so many ways to get involved at the school, it's incredible. Students are always creating new organizations to get involved in. The only way not to enjoy oneself at Westview would be if one doesn't immerse oneself in the school.

Westview High School
13500 Camino Del Sur, San Diego, CA  92129
(858) 780-2000
Last modified Westview High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westview High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews.