Posted November 07, 2014
Main consideration should be whether it's a "fit" for your child's learning style. In some ways, constructivist, project-based setting works best for self-motivated kids. Lack of structure/accountabilty can be problematic unless parents are strong advocates There are some amazingly invested, talented teachers here but also a handful who use lack of structure and tolerance of alternative methods to justify an "anything goes" mentality. Problem is made worse by a principal who is strong on theory and concept and leads from her heart but lacks leadership skills to manage staff, delegate real authority and to confront obvious ongoing problems that impact staff and parent morale. As a result, the school seems stuck in a pattern of unrealized potential due to the extraordinary amount of energy that goes into managing drama in an organization where chaos reigns. Often feels like school is more about handling adults' needs than kids'. Perhaps all schools have these issues? However, their strength in social/emotional arena is priceless and I credit them with the fact my kids are happy, well-rounded, creative and love school. SO, what are you going to do?
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 28, 2014
very alternative school. I really like the educational field trips. I joined this school starting 5th grade because my son needed smaller class size and a friendlier environment. This school is perfect. My son is very happy and seems to be learning..........

Posted August 23, 2013
SDCCS is the most amazing school ever! I have learned so much and, contrary to what others have said, the middle school math standard(especially seventh grade) is quite high. I have gone from a third grade to a grade level education in two years, getting straight As, over 90% on test scores. I don't care what others say, this school is the best school in the entire world. We have caring teachers who are all like parents to me, and sweet people everywhere. Zero bullying is tolerated. Once two people had to apologize in front of the entire school for sending a rude email to a fellow student. I highly recommend this school. Love it! <3 <3 :) (: c:

Posted August 17, 2013
I have a 15 year old who started in kindergarten at SDCCS and is now doing very well in high school. I also have two sons who are currently enrolled at SDCCS in 7th grade and 1rst grade. I can honestly say that I wouldn't send them to any other school. I believe in the philosophy and have seen how it plays out over a 9 year period with so many kids who started in kinder with my daughter....this school fosters emotional intelligence, curiosity and confidence which is so important in the development of a child's ability to problem solve. They know how to help themselves!I really trust the community at the school and appreciate the importance placed social issues in all grades. After being there for over 11 years (with 7 more to go) I can honestly say that I don't mind some of the chaos that also goes along with a place like SDCCS with it's pets and gardens and festivals and parades and field trips and science projects happening in the hallways. It has worked extremely well for all my kids with their very different personalities!

Posted August 17, 2013
This school has been life changing for our entire family. My kids couldn't feel more loved, nutured and cared for by not just their individual teacher but by the entire staff. Academically they are challenged to taught to be critical thinkers. The social emotional cirriculum has been a postive force in guiding the school community. SDCCS students are more empathetic and caring than I could have ever dreamed. You really have never seen a school like this one!!

San Diego Cooperative Charter School 3

Posted June 03, 2013
Although I think this school is making growth and overcoming adversity, I am still concerned that my son is not learning what he needs to be successful. I don't believe standards and the need for academic challenges are of interest to many of the primary teachers. I love that my son has made many friends and peer relationships are strong, however he has yet to bond with his teachers and this worries me because the 'male role model' he needs in his life is not to be found on staff in the primary grades. He will have to wait until Middle School (unless I relocate him sooner) to receive great teacher-student interaction with the male staff. I think you are doing many wonderful things SDCCS, but there is a need for new faces or a 'changing of the guard'. Teachers that have been there for over a decade need either a new role or a new setting. I know charter schools have the authority to remove educators that aren't a 'great fit' for kids. I wish the administration would recognize this and do what is best for the kids, not just keep teachers around because they are friends with one another.

Posted March 25, 2013
Wow, this school has grown by leaps and bounds in the past several years. It seems that the staff are always trying to take things up a notch and make the school even better than it already is. Don't worry about the poor rating this site has given to our wonderful school. The raters have no knowledge of this schools fabulous social/emotional curriculum, hands-on learning activities, unbelievable art program, loving dedicated teachers, kind, generous and supportive families, and hard-working leaders. When the school began recruiting some children who did not have all the advantages of the more affluent families the result was an immediate drop in test scores. It is unfortunate that the school is penalized for trying to help children who have fewer options. It's a win-win for my children though because in addition to the impressive curriculum they are also making friends with kids from many different backgrounds. To me diversity is an important consideration when looking at schools. I know this school is awesome when strangers ask where my kids go to school because they are so impressed with their behavior, thoughtfulness and intelligence. Thank you SDCCS, you are the best!

Posted May 16, 2012
I have2 kids inSDCCS, both very different with regard to learning style and temperment. Both have thrived in this supportive, nurturing environment. I too have concerns about test scores and academic rigor but I also recall that those considerations are fairly new for elementary age children. To me, this school is about what K-5 should be (and used to be) about- primarily social-emotional development, a foundation for problem solving and developing an enthusiasm for lifelong learning. New research shows over-achieving kids packed full of facts for testing are entering the work world without the ability to think creatively about complex problems. Also, with info at our fingertips, the key is knowing how to critically evaluate and apply that information. Teachers here love what they do and it shows, my kids come up with solutions to things I never considered, and Even in 3rd grade, they still play for hours on end using their imaginations. The second-step social-emotional curriculum has given us tools 4 emotional growth and I love the focus on arts, the environment and parent involvement. This school gives us alot that we used to get from neighborhood family connections.

Posted May 14, 2012
This is one amazing School. We came from out of state and we spend several months in Rady children's Hospital. My daughter had some special dietary and other needs that the school was very willing to help with and help her with continueing her education. The teachers are awesome and the staffing has been beyong top notch! If you get the chance to attend this school, please do so! you iwll never regret it!!! Thank you to everyone and the staff for all you have doen and do. They do the most amazing job with kids and are truely caring and helpful.

Posted January 11, 2012
I am an alumni at this school and I simply love SDCCS. I was definitely prepared for high school. And I can't believe some of the things that has been said about this amazing school. This school is not taught to the test and is project based learning. This method was perfect for me and I excelled and even got the flying pheonix award. (which is all A's and E's both semesters the eighth grade) I go to San Diego High now and I am perfectly capable of dealing with the homework load, the method of teaching which is by all means NOT project based. I think that going to this project based school followed by a 'taught to the test' school is a perfect pair for almost all students. However if you are a parent looking for a school with amazing test scores, as you can obviously see this is not the school for you. I for one got advanced in all my test scores but some of my friends didn't. I had the best time at SDCCS and I always look forward to when I can visit my old again. I treasure the memories I have there and I adore watching my siblings go through this school all the while learning so much. Thank you SDCCS I will never forget you.

San Diego Cooperative Charter School
7260 Linda Vista Road, San Diego, CA  92111
Last modified San Diego Cooperative Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Diego Cooperative Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 68 reviews. Top