Posted April 22, 2014
This school is great - teaching kids to learn skills that will help them to reach for the stars, you can create anything if you put your mind together with others.

Posted April 21, 2014
Awesome school! Both my kids love it, though they were hesitant at first. Didn't take long before it has become their second home. Small enough that they know everyone and feel safe. Love the team projects, the dress code, the small amount of homework and availability of the teachers and staff for any questions or problems. Also love the diversity and strong teaching.

Posted April 21, 2014
My son attends High Tech Middle. He loves the fact that is project base which means they work in groups a lot when they are working on a projects. They problem solve in a group and get to combine all that they learned in one project. They have a wonderful group of teachers that have so much passion for their job. Also they offer a great before and after school program that is free o.f charge for all students. This is a great and unique school and I'm honored to have my child go there.

Posted April 17, 2014
Love the small size, the director knows every kid personally, the teachers are incredibly hardworking, and nice. My child was initially nervous going to a school where he did not know anyone, but its not been an issue at all. He's thriving and proud of his work, can't ask for more than that! Only negative is traffic in/out of Point Loma.

High Tech Middle School 2

Posted November 05, 2013
Now that my child has graduated HTM and moved on to a public school, I see a big difference in the education/curriculum. I'm torn because HTM offered some great things as a superb atmosphere, strict rules about bullying, free movement while learning instead of sitting behind a desk in class, and the kids seem very happy. However, the curriculum lacks the ability to prepare the kids for college. There are no English classes therefore the kids writing skills suffer greatly; there is no biology, and no Physical Ed classes. I will say that Judo Math is an excellent program they recently added. All schools should have Judo Math! The projects are somewhat elementary and no college uses project-based learning. While POL's help with public speaking skills, the projects in the POL aren't significant or challenging enough for the kids. The materials for the projects are paper, cardboard, etc, nothing high-tech. While I loved how happy and safe my child was, having no books, no development of writing skills and no AP courses just doesn't adequately prepare kids or college. I wish I could combine this school with another school and create the perfect school. Tough to choose.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 02, 2013
High Tech Middle has been a supportive, creative and academically challenging environment. The students are not only taught academics but also life skills to help transition them from a school environment into the real world. The teachers are caring and supportive and the students often stay in touch with them even after they have moved on to college.

Posted August 16, 2012
I am going into 7th grade this year. I attend High Tech Middle, and it is the best school in the world. Our teachers are the best in the world. The drama class is advanced and amazing. We learn everything from blocking to being in our own school play. If you are thinking of putting your child here. Go for it. You will see your child bump up his grades if they were bad before. This school makes you pay attention in class by adding fun to everything. It's hard not to get an "A". I assure you that when summer comes next year your child will sure miss school. I sure do. We get a time at the end of the day called "X-Block" where we get to choose out of many activities including Lego's, tutoring, skateboarding, plays, movie time, football, soccer, baseball, tech class, guitar, drums and even yearbook staff, etc.. We get an hour of any fun X-Block class in the school a day. We get the privilege to go to liberty station on short days to get what we want. During lunch we have a park to eat at, the food court, or the big school area. At the end of the year we go on a really fun trip to celebrate the end of the year. We went to soak city. And we are 1 of the few schools that has 1 week camp.

Posted June 29, 2012
This school is absolutley amazing, I am a student going into 7th grade, and the staff are all young, energetic and creative. No one is grumpy or mean. I had Mrs. Strong and Mr. Shaddox. Mrs. Charlie was my art teacher and she was fantastic she made you want to do your best with fun activities. Mrs. DeAnna was also amazing, as my drama teacher. She was funny and entertaining. I look forward to 7th grade. I was actually sad to leave my school on the last day.

Posted May 22, 2012
I think its a great school. Honestly I think they do push kids and reading the comments from a few years back they seem to have made some adjustments from what I see. My daughter has always been an upper level student and very proactive in her classes and this school so far has given her the right challenges. Her match teacher recognized that she is advanced beyond the rest of the class and does push her with more advanced work after she completes and shows her knowledge for the standard lesson. I do agree this school probably isn't for everyone but I feel it is a great school for my daughter and will be getting my 2 younger ones in there for middle school. The school also offers softball in which my daughter is a travel ball player so that also is a positive that there is great academics as well as sports. For the people complaining about no football at the high school for their son..I believe if a sport isn't offered you can attend a different school for that sport? At least in high school we had a kid on my basketball team play who came from a charter school.

High Tech Middle School 4

Posted March 16, 2012
We found the teachers really cared about how the kids did, how they grew and matured and whether they were happy there. The director (MsGriswold) was fantastic. Our kid learned some valuable lessons on how to talk to others, plan projects, meet deadlines and present information during a meeting. Made good friends and did not get exposed to some of the nastier bits of middle school. However, I do not feel the work was rigorous. It required very little effort to get As and too much time during projects painting and hotglueing stuff. Also because the school draws from all over San Diego the students enter the school with very varying abilities so my kid spent many math classes staring out of the window or teaching other kids. We decided to move to a regular public high school. It was a shock to the system to get plenty of homework and a much more rigorous schedule. My student is less bored in class now and has to work much harder to get good grades. I don't much care for the public school system but our kid is learning to work there. If you have a motivated student they will do well, but school does not push kids who don't push themselves.

High Tech Middle School
2291 Truxtun Road, San Diego, CA  92106
Last modified High Tech Middle School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
High Tech Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top