10-12 & Ungraded
Public charter
San Diego, CA

Posted April 13, 2015
As a former student, I personally believe that the HTH community is ahead of other high schools by revolutionizing learning, education, and the social environment in its campus. Instead of attempting to simply reach the learning standard, it develops the students innovation, professional skills, and self-efficacy. Through projects, this institution permits its students to explore and apply his or her knowledge and creativity. Its Multimedia classes gave me new skills applicable to professional and college life. The Humanities curriculum not only developed my writing and critical reading, but it also enriched my understanding of peoples opinions and world conflicts through different perspective. Besides preparing me for college level math, its Math department and faculty motivated me to pursue a career in the engineering field. Because of HTHMA and its teachers who are constantly trying to improve and provide the best education for its students, I was able to achieve my goal in attending the United States Military Academy.

Posted March 13, 2015
I graduated from HTHMA and felt that I was actually more prepared for college than most of my peers. In HTHMA they give the students a lot of freedom, which is excatly like college. The teacher provides you with knowledge and all the tools you need to complete a project. They will give you ample time in class and after school to work on it and receive help. But at the end of the day it was up to us to chose how to spend our time. In college no one is holding your hand to make sure you get something done. It really gave us a sense of responsibility which made us take such great pride in our work. Also no one is going to tell your HTHMA student that Christopher Colombis 'discovered' Amercia. We learn real facts. And often times had debates about various historical and present events. I learned to listen and really try to understand other people's points of view while also not being afraid to express my own opinion. To accept that not everyone comes from the same background or culture as you that how to actually have an intelligent conversation. I believe this school creates responsible and respectful people and I wouldn't trade my high school experience for anything in the world.

Posted March 12, 2015
I have many stories to share about how much they've done for me and many students in my graduating class would be able to share the same. If I were to give any advice to an unsure parent, I would say, allow your student to experience this school for themselves. Communicate with their teachers and the schools leadership. Talk to current students and alumni and ask them about their experiences. Allow your student to grow at this school and experience learning in a different way and you will see them blossom into scholars, ready to take on higher education without hesitation.

Posted March 12, 2015
HTHMA provides a wonderful learning environment where students are treated are like adults- where they are responsible for their own learning and have the ability to interact with their teachers one-on-one and develop relationships with them. I am a HTHMA alum and I have had no issues with college-level courses. I scored very well on my SATs and was accepted to all of the 4-year institutions I applied to. As I said, the education at HTHMA is what you make of it. The most valuable experiences I had at HTHMA were the ones that I couldn't have had anywhere else. I interacted with my teachers, worked on projects hands-on (as opposed to tests straight out of a textbook), and I had internships that opened my eyes to what the world outside of school is really like. Truly a great opportunity for parents who see the value in a well-rounded education.

Posted November 06, 2013
I agree with all the negative parent & student comments. Fortunately for my daughter I recognized these flaws about the school within the first months of school and started looking into the school's accountability act, and meeting with principal and teachers about the curriculum, or lack thereof, but getting nowhere. Staff is all well prepared to avoid answering direct questions, which basically cleared up any doubts I might've had about the school and made my decision easy. Unfortunately, I had to leave my daughter through a full year of HTM (8th grade) where she earned As and Bs -based on the school's standards , which are basically nonexistent. My daughter's freshman year of high school was tough, and even though she missed her HT friends she was glad she was back to a 'real school' where she was being tested and pushed to do better. She is now a 10th grader and is in full swing of high school and preparing for college, because contrary to what HT claims public schools do prepare kids for college. Sorry to all the parents who are seeing their kids' college careers be a struggle to them. I knew more of us would start speaking up and unveil the truth behind this school.

Posted September 27, 2013
College is hard, and anyone who is not responsible enough to care about their own future will not succeed! Sure, there are a few students who are used to having parents or guardians telling them what to do at all times. And when they fail, they must blame someone else. I graduated within 4 years of a 4-year university, and I was not a straight A student. I must admit that, I took remedial classes in college myself but I went to summer school and made up for those credits. The exhibitions, POLs, internships, and projects that are though at HTHMA really help students to get an idea of college, and to be prepared for it. You don't get any of this at a regular public school! When sitting in a 200 student class, I would participate and ask questions. This is because when I graduated HTHMA I was confident enough to know that I had the right tools to navigate in the 'real world'. Some of the classmates that graduated with me, didn't even attempt to stay a full semester because they needed a 'break'. Who is to blame HTHMA? Every student is responsible for their own decisions! The school is diverse, just like college, just like the world. - HTHMA Alumni

Posted September 21, 2013
This school is not successful in keeping teachers around and keeping students in college. The administration brags about all students getting into college, but this is only true because they make their students fill out community college applications (community colleges accept all students). Students who do go to college often drop out within the first semester or flounder through community college for several years before giving up. I recently saw my son's friend working at Home Depot (they both went to High Tech High Media Arts). When I asked what happened to her schooling, she said she felt overwhelmed and needed a break. When I asked when she would return, she said she was not sure she would. My son is struggling in college as well and, like other parents have mentioned on this cite, he has been put into remedial courses at his college. I did not know that the success rate for students going to college and succeeding was so low. I am very disappointed. My son was an A and B student and did "well" at this school. Hopefully, through tutoring and help from professors he will be successful. Holding my breath..... Disappointed Dad.

Posted September 19, 2013
If I had it to do over again, I would not send my kids to this school. I was disappointed in so many ways. The environment was chaotic & noisy, teachers had little or no experience who pounded extreme liberal views into young minds. It's nice to get good grades, which they did, but both left ill prepared for college. If you are looking for solid education with college prep, go elsewhere. There are plenty of great schools that actually teach high school curriculum- you won't find it here.

Posted September 13, 2013
I'm a senior at my university and hoping to pursue a PhD after. HTHMA made me who I am now and without the help of the phenomenal counselors, I wouldn't have gotten a full-ride scholarship. The projects I did in HTHMA inspired me to pursue a degree in international relations due to the emphasis on global citizenship and world affairs in various classes. With its project based learning approach and diverse body of teachers, HTHMA provided me the knowledge to succeed academically and also professionally. While at HTHMA, I participated in 2 internships which later helped me in college applications. In addition, I was placed in advanced writing due to the strong emphasis in the argumentative writing I was exposed to at HTHMA. While there are many reasons why I consider this school my second home, I think that the connection I had with my teachers was essential. Many of them stayed after school to make sure we understood the material, and incorporated our artistic talents to create innovative projects. HTHMA is place for the future problem solvers, and without the guidance of my teachers, I wouldn't have gone to college. Submitted by an extremely proud HTHMA alumnus

Posted August 20, 2013
This school is like a circus, mostly flashing lights and colorful distractions. Teachers are nice, some have experience and some don't. Seems like a very smart staff but not very effective teachers when it comes to state standards and college testing. My son has had a lot of turn over with teachers. Would have liked him to have more stability. He is worried about getting recommendations because so many have left or were fired. Students are nice to each other, although my sons class were cyber bullying each other to the point where their emails were shut down. My son is not testing well on SAT, and he says that is because they teach that tests are not important. I tell him that while that is kind of true, his future depends on them. I confirmed that they teach this mentality with my child's friends and other parents. My son complains about the principal and feeling scared /uncomfortable around him. He states he is not the only one. If I had it to do over, I would send my child elsewhere. I was sold on the idea but not convinced by the product.

High Tech High Media Arts School
2230 Truxtun Rd., San Diego, CA  92106
Last modified High Tech High Media Arts School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
High Tech High Media Arts School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top