San Diego, CA

Posted February 12, 2015
There seem to be differences in how kids who are magnet/choice are treated from zoned/neighborhood. It's the only viable option among the 4 programs, but if your kid doesn't want an IB diploma, it may not be worth it. They do a good sales pitch, and try to do their best to be responsive, but truth is, this is just a public high school. It's just OK, nothing special. It's tons of work, they constantly request parent donations and participation. Tried to talk our kid into switching to Sci-Tech, but she wouldn't, now GPA is low (in our old high school it was 3.0, here it is always around 2.0). If your kid is a magnet kid who really wants IB Diploma, then this is a good program (Not great, but good), certainly cheaper than a private school, but understand off the bat you do get what you pay for. It's also overcrowded, there are too many kids in the program, classes are 30+ kids per class, teachers and guidance counselors make no real efforts to build rapport to optimize student success, everything is like pulling teeth. Also, this is the only IB school I've ever heard of that demands AP classes - which are total opposite educational philosophy of IB.

Posted April 11, 2014
Our school offers a top notch education to all students; we don't hand-pick them. The majority of our students pass the CAHSEE on a first attempt and take at least one International Baccalaureate examination. I'm proud that our AVID classes facilitate the burdensome processes of both applying to get into college, as well as applying for financial support.

Posted February 08, 2014
My daughter went to this school for 1.5 yrs and had a lot of problems with bullying to which the administrative staff offered to help with,The last day when I picked up her transcripts one of the staff stated I was the 2 parent that week who had moved her child and was extremely mad about how the principal handled the situation.

Posted January 22, 2014
My daughter has been at IS since September and likes the school. I have had issue with the Spanish and Biology teachers - haven't been impressed with their teaching abilities. While overall it seems to be a good school, it could use some improvement.

Posted September 30, 2013
My school is amazing! The fact that this school has the International Baccalaureate program makes it outstanding. Definately reccomend this high school to all high school students. Amazing teachers, clubs, campus, community, etc...!

Posted August 08, 2013
My daughter was recruited to this school by the principal. It turns out that the school principal was later fired. Up until the middle of last year, this school basically let the indians run the place. Teachers bring their personal views to the class room, actually applying them to overall grades. My daughter is very structured, knows what she wants from her education and rather than work with that, there is this overarching need to change her mind to meet the mind of the teacher. I am very dissappointed and really hope that the new principal will clean things up.

San Diego International Studies School 2

Posted January 11, 2012
I'm a freshman at SDHS IS and maybe it's just that the school isn't for me but I can't wait to transfer. The academics are fine, they offer a great number of classes and extracuricular activities and maybe it's because i came from a smaller school but I feel intimidated by students from the other five schools, the teachers, although I have two good ones, seem highly impersonal. They haven't even bothered to learn my name or find out what I need in their class. Maybe that's just high school but I feel overwhelmed and intimidated and I can't wait for next year when i can leave this school. If you are in eighth grade looking up high schools I would suggest another school. Of course if you are set on this school I suggest Video Production and Physics, the teachers are amazing and the only reason why I am staying a whole year rather than just one semester.

Posted November 16, 2010
Our son is a sophomore who came from a small private school. We have been continually impressed by the commitment and dedication of the faculty. The principal makes an effort to interact with the kids and parents and the program is very academically challanging.. Students are encouraged to develop their own leadership skills and take initiative for their educational success. We are so pleased to be a part of this richly diverse campus experience.

Posted April 22, 2010
awesome school.... has many electives and classes that not the whole district has. they even give us college credits for some classes!

San Diego International Studies School

Posted April 14, 2010
My daughter is graduating this year with an IB diploma. She has had wonderfully challenging and rewarding four years. The teachers have for the most part been terrific, both in terms of the high standards they ask of their students and in their caliber of teaching. A great school for the dedicated student. My daughter and her friends have excellent universities that have accepted them.

San Diego International Studies School
1405 Park Boulevard, San Diego, CA  92101
Last modified San Diego International Studies School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Diego International Studies School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top