Bad
Good

Kearny, with it's focused "schools" might make a good charter school, but it's not a charter school. We moved into the area in summer and were told this was the school she MUST attend if not using school choice (which closed in April, so we really had no choice) From the GreatSchools info, we thought this would be a good school. Then we moved here. You see, when one moves here right before senior year (this being a school with military housing in its district) and the first thing one gets told is "You likely won't graduate since you haven't been here for the full four years." it gets a little disheartening. Not graduate because your military family moved from out of state? When we asked if she could take a math class offered at the "Internation Business" school, we were told that "That's not really done." Then, my daughter sat for about a month in front of a blank computer waiting for the password for an iHigh class. When she finally got on, it was 11th grade English, which she already had credit for! We gave up by October, actually broke our lease and moved to get our daughter out of that school, as the district pretty much left that (or not graduate?) as our only option.

Let's be honest! The fact of the matter is that this is a bottom tier school district. It is easy to win awards and be recognized when even an average performance in most school districts is top performing in this one. This is a perfect example of how schools across the country are lowering their standards and requirements for graduation in order to accomodate those students who have no personal drive to succeed, boost grad rates, and mislead state and national agencies as to their actual progress. Stellar "4.5" students are graduating w/o being able to spell a simple word like PRINCIPAL...a word that most students here should be very familiar with. Should have kept the "2.0" at least it was more realistic. There is a reason that greatschools is not posting ACT and SAT scores and the state test scores it does post shows an 8% rating in subjects like geometry even when the state average is an embarassing 14%, well below the national average. CA consistently ranks 30 out of 50 states in education with little fluctuation and that is taking into account the more affluent districts that exist in Cali.

I'm surprised to see any poor ratings for the school of Digital Media and Design. This is an excellent school and it has won all kinds of awards. The staff cares so much about the students, far more than any of the schools I went to as a child. This school is a model for how to fix our public schools; it has gone from being a program improvement school to one of the best public schools in San Diego. DMD is a caring environment with rigorous, demanding courses that I think really prepares kids for college.

This school did not prepare me for college. I graduated in 2009 and I feel like I was not challenged academically, I feel like the Principal and the teachers just passed me and had me graduate so it would look good for their graduation rates and numbers, they do not care about the students

I love this school and the principle. My grades went up from a 2.0 to a 4.5. the teachers care DMD class of 2009.

This school needs to be re-organized. I am embarrased to say my child graduated from this school. The 4 Principals are self serving and hide behind each other as they make bad decisions. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

My son is in DMD and I have been very pleased. His grades are better than ever. The teachers, staff and coaches have all been wonderful.

The school is excellent .My son moved to this school from Scripps Ranch High and it proved to be a great move. His GPA has increased and he understands the topics more thoroughly .The project based learning helps to bring the things he learns together.Things such as the AVID classes, and the Mesa Fast Track Program have helped to prepare the students for college .The teachers have provided my son with a very caring enviroment and the staff is dedicated to the progress of the children.Overall a good school

This school has encouraged me to take my kids out of public schools. The staff does not care for the kids. They only care about test scores and graduating rates. The small school idea was a bust. SDUSD took a great concept and ruined it. There are 4 Principals on campus and what it turns out to be is competition between all 4. There is no collaborative effort between the 4 of them and they operate like they are on an island by themselves. I would stay far away from this campus even if this is your home school.

I like how they prepare students for college. My son is a very good student but he but he had to improve his note taking skills to prepare him for college. He was pushed to do better and he is now an even better student because of the study skills learned.

Last modified Kearny Digital Media & Design School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.