San Diego, CA

Posted September 12, 2014
Some of the reviews are considering the old administration and the now-retired internship coordinator. Sara Leonard is the principal now, and is getting the school year off to a great start. She's engaging in team building for her staff and the first week of school was dedicated to building community among the students. She's aware of the fractured past and is sensitive to the needs of her remaining staff and the unique qualities of all the students. Change is a painful thing .. and this school, being 10+ years old, is experiencing some growing/changing pains. Some of the teachers have resisted that change and have voluntarily moved on. There are some new hires that are learning the new culture. I have a sophomore who loves the school and the program. It is unique; classes MWF only. Internships and Learning Through Interests on T & Th. Self-directed, motivated, and engaged kids do well here. Kids who fit outside the traditional school 'box' will fit well here. It is a small school, personalized attention, and engaged advisors are the key to success. It is a Big Picture school [1 of 200 world-wide]. It is not a one-size fits all. As a parent you need to be open minded.

Posted September 02, 2014
I strongly suggest that you do not send your child to this school for many, many reasons. When I started here, everything seemed perfect and I, along with my parents, were happy with our decision. However, the school is not what it seems. We were drawn to the school due to the internship program which we found to be a joke. The internship coordinator is a bully and often made both teachers and students cry, myself included. The staff does not care about student safety. I received continuos violent threats from another student and when I reported it to the assistant principal, he did nothing. The school is obsessed with self image. The principal would bring potential students and their families into classrooms and have students recite lines about how great the school is. Not only is the school horrible on the inside, it's credibility is now questionable... The school got into trouble not too long ago for wrongly changing student grades from F's to A's and B's! The concept of the school is great but the execution is absolutely horrible. If you are contemplating whether or not to send your child to The Met, I suggest you continue/begin to look at other, better non-traditional schools.

Posted February 19, 2014
I would not suggest this school to the majority of new high school students looking for a forever school the curriculum is flawed and insufficient for the required and "normal" high school student. Hopefully this review is respected and considered.

Posted January 23, 2014
I sent my child here and it's a wonderful school. I recommend this school for every child .

Posted December 06, 2012
This is a really great school for non-traditional students or students that don't do well sitting in class all day. We are given a lot of free time, and our internships give us so much experience. Tuesdays and Thursdays are used for internship days, and people who don't have internships come to school and do extra work or finish homework. The teachers are totally supportive and the principal is a doll, she's so sweet and understanding. The staff is completely nice, except for the Internship Coordinator, watch our for her. The Met is a really, really awesome school and I would completely recommend it to others, however , it is a non-traditional school. It is easy to slack off and miss class, but the teachers make sure you're still passing class.

Posted January 04, 2012
I am a parent of a senior at the MET, and we have had an amazing experience there. I know there is a different experience with each advisory class, but my daughter is in a fantastic advisory, and has gained more than we could have asked for by attending this school. She is able to speak comfortably in front of people, and has gained immense experience in different career choices through the internship program. In addition, she has been able to attain actual college credits through the college classes offered instead of taking AP classes that most high schools offer. She has had challenging courses, and it is not simple to get an A there. Those students have to work hard. Expectations are high, and the teachers are very involved in the well being of every student. We are extremely particular, and we are extremely pleased with the MET.

Posted September 06, 2011
I am a returning Junior to the San Diego Met. The concept of this school is great however the execution is terrible. This year more than half of the administration has left. Numerous amounts of students have transfered or are trying to transfer. I am one of these students desperately trying to get out of The Met. My recommendation to all parents and students is it may look all magnifcent and perfect on the outside but on the inside it is a terribly run school. I would not recommend this school to anyone. In fact I try to recommend students not to attend. besides all of this, the so called "challenges" that are presented at The Met are a joke. I am a straight A student there and barely have to apply myself or put any effort into my studies. All in all, do not attend. You will be disappointed.

San Diego Metro Career and Tech School 4

Posted March 04, 2011
I'm a parent of a 9th grade student. It's definitely an alternative school, not for those who want the 8-3, five day a week school experience. My child's class has more than 45 minutes for English and History, more like 2 hours. The principal does run a tight ship, but I like that, and she know every single kid. It is strange dropping off your 14 year old at a college and it's a PITB to go to the office ( you have to get a parking permit, and find a space...), but all in all, we've been very pleased.

Posted June 19, 2010
Be careful. The first sign of trouble is the principal's lack of proper grammar, spelling and punctuation when writing. How can students be expected to perform at a high level of excellence if the head administrator can't? She runs a very tight ship, is borderline mean, and never, ever smiles. This school boasts a high rate of matriculated students who are admitted to college. What they fail to disclose is poor performing students are expelled rather than guided through their difficulties. I believe the expel policy skews the school's actual performance data.

San Diego Metro Career and Tech School 3

Posted March 04, 2009
I'm currently a junior here. The Met sounds great in concept - internships 2 days a week, college classes during 11th and 12th grade, based on a college campus - but it doesn't run smoothly in action. We only go to school 3 days a week and on the days we're here the teachers are scrambling for time to teach. For example, our humanities teacher has 45 minutes 3 days a week to teach English, history, and college prep work. This might be okay if we were given a framework for independent study, but instead we have to do a few very spread out assignments that don't give us any cohesive knowledge base - it often seems like work for the sake of doing work. I think academics here need to be more carefully reviewed and appreciated, and SDUSD should evaluate our school by more than just test scores.

San Diego Metro Career and Tech School
7250 Mesa College Drive, Room L-501, San Diego, CA  92111
Last modified San Diego Metro Career and Tech School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Diego Metro Career and Tech School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top