San Diego, CA

Posted March 22, 2015
Under new leadership, this school is regaining its 'legs'. There is a new internship coordinator, Mr. Fung, and the advisory teachers are more involved in internship placements. Sara Leonard, the principal, is working on creating a more trusting, professional work environment for her staff. The school is currently undergoing its WASC accreditation from March 22-25. The WASC committee will be meeting with parents and students and sitting in on classes to observe the educational process. No place is perfect. Not every student should be advised or encouraged to go here. This is a unique school -- excellent for motivated learners who may want to take college classes in their Sophomore Spring semester and Junior and Senior years. There is the expectation of 100% internship placement each semester, except for the first semester of freshman year during which time students take Business Environments preparing them for internships.
3 people found this helpful

Posted March 22, 2015
A lot of these reviews are old and don't address the fact that there is a new principal who is incredible. There's a new principal, internship coordinator and business skills and ROP class, and new set of buildings. The principal, Sara Leonard, takes time to check up on students and is always willing to talk and listen to students. The internship program and counseling is now run by all the teachers (including math, science, and Spanish) instead of one person so that the load is shared and so each student gets equal priority and so that the students can build a closer bond to that teacher. The paperwork and internship facilitator, Robert Fung, is incredibly caring and helpful. I've only had positive internships experiences as of now (I'm a sophomore, meaning four internships). My only negative experience has been with the advisor Douglas Craig Hall. If you go to the Met (and he's still around) make sure you do not get him. He misrepresents the ideology of the Met and after spending three months in his class I switched to the other 10th grade advisory. I really enjoy the Met and I think that anyone has the potential to get a great experience out of the Met.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 02, 2014
I strongly suggest that you do not send your child to this school for many, many reasons. When I started here, everything seemed perfect and I, along with my parents, were happy with our decision. However, the school is not what it seems. We were drawn to the school due to the internship program which we found to be a joke. The internship coordinator is a bully and often made both teachers and students cry, myself included. The staff does not care about student safety. I received continuos violent threats from another student and when I reported it to the assistant principal, he did nothing. The school is obsessed with self image. The principal would bring potential students and their families into classrooms and have students recite lines about how great the school is. Not only is the school horrible on the inside, it's credibility is now questionable... The school got into trouble not too long ago for wrongly changing student grades from F's to A's and B's! The concept of the school is great but the execution is absolutely horrible. If you are contemplating whether or not to send your child to The Met, I suggest you continue/begin to look at other, better non-traditional schools.
2 people found this helpful

Posted February 19, 2014
I would not suggest this school to the majority of new high school students looking for a forever school the curriculum is flawed and insufficient for the required and "normal" high school student. Hopefully this review is respected and considered.

Posted January 23, 2014
I sent my child here and it's a wonderful school. I recommend this school for every child .

Posted December 06, 2012
This is a really great school for non-traditional students or students that don't do well sitting in class all day. We are given a lot of free time, and our internships give us so much experience. Tuesdays and Thursdays are used for internship days, and people who don't have internships come to school and do extra work or finish homework. The teachers are totally supportive and the principal is a doll, she's so sweet and understanding. The staff is completely nice, except for the Internship Coordinator, watch our for her. The Met is a really, really awesome school and I would completely recommend it to others, however , it is a non-traditional school. It is easy to slack off and miss class, but the teachers make sure you're still passing class.

Posted January 04, 2012
I am a parent of a senior at the MET, and we have had an amazing experience there. I know there is a different experience with each advisory class, but my daughter is in a fantastic advisory, and has gained more than we could have asked for by attending this school. She is able to speak comfortably in front of people, and has gained immense experience in different career choices through the internship program. In addition, she has been able to attain actual college credits through the college classes offered instead of taking AP classes that most high schools offer. She has had challenging courses, and it is not simple to get an A there. Those students have to work hard. Expectations are high, and the teachers are very involved in the well being of every student. We are extremely particular, and we are extremely pleased with the MET.

Posted September 06, 2011
I am a returning Junior to the San Diego Met. The concept of this school is great however the execution is terrible. This year more than half of the administration has left. Numerous amounts of students have transfered or are trying to transfer. I am one of these students desperately trying to get out of The Met. My recommendation to all parents and students is it may look all magnifcent and perfect on the outside but on the inside it is a terribly run school. I would not recommend this school to anyone. In fact I try to recommend students not to attend. besides all of this, the so called "challenges" that are presented at The Met are a joke. I am a straight A student there and barely have to apply myself or put any effort into my studies. All in all, do not attend. You will be disappointed.

San Diego Metro Career and Tech School 4

Posted March 04, 2011
I'm a parent of a 9th grade student. It's definitely an alternative school, not for those who want the 8-3, five day a week school experience. My child's class has more than 45 minutes for English and History, more like 2 hours. The principal does run a tight ship, but I like that, and she know every single kid. It is strange dropping off your 14 year old at a college and it's a PITB to go to the office ( you have to get a parking permit, and find a space...), but all in all, we've been very pleased.

Posted June 19, 2010
Be careful. The first sign of trouble is the principal's lack of proper grammar, spelling and punctuation when writing. How can students be expected to perform at a high level of excellence if the head administrator can't? She runs a very tight ship, is borderline mean, and never, ever smiles. This school boasts a high rate of matriculated students who are admitted to college. What they fail to disclose is poor performing students are expelled rather than guided through their difficulties. I believe the expel policy skews the school's actual performance data.

San Diego Metro Career and Tech School
7250 Mesa College Drive, Room L-501, San Diego, CA  92111
Last modified San Diego Metro Career and Tech School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Diego Metro Career and Tech School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top