Bad
Good

I've worked at Golden Hill K-8 for three years now as an Ed Specialist and I know how hard all the staff from Pre-K all to 8th grade work to help our students perform and push towards more proficient test scores and more demanding standards. Staff is constantly being provided with trainings, new technology, and better ways to handle classroom behavior. Our new V.P. is doing a great job with the culture of the school and really understands the students needs. Our new dual-language program is helping all students excel in both English and Spanish understanding. We are starting to have more after school and before school programs such as running club, and Primetime that allow students to be in a safe environment while their parents work. The kids are good kids and they want to achieve their best. The PTO does a great job with fund raising and adding to the school spirit. We are fast becoming a school to look out for in all grade levels! Come visit us and see!

Golden Hill's new dual language program is phenomenal. My daughter entered kindergarten not knowing any Spanish and now is a 1st grader who is reading and writing both English and Spanish. My daughter has been challenged academically and is very happy with her teachers and fellow peers. I would recommend this school to anyone, especially those looking for a Spanish and English curriculum.

My daughter is currently in first grade at Golden Hill. She started in pre-school, than kindergarten and now first grade. From pre-school on, all the teachers have been caring and encouraging. They have a lot of activities ( father-daughter movie night was my favorite) and they really try to get the parents involved. We are going to be moving soon, so we will have to say good bye to Golden Hill. I feel my daughter got a great start to her education here. I will truly miss Golden Hill and the teachers and the principal!

Golden Hill k-8 was lacking a lot of activities. With the help of PTO, ASB and new VP we have been able to get this school moving. Staff is great and students have a lot of potential. The school has a lot to offer. They just need to open up more activities. Specially because it's a middle school as well. It lies in such a beautiful neighborhood! Academics are getting better and better every year. There's a lack of parent involvement, but I know that'll change fast.

I was very impressed with the art exhibition the school had recently. The CARE program from Balboa Park worked with the third, fourth, fifth and sixth graders for seven weeks teaching them about drama, photography, painting, and art. The cumulative activity was the exhibition. It is wonderful to see the museums (MOPA, La Jolla Playhouse, Mingei, and MOA) working with schools in their community!

my childs 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Ashley Norousky is hands down the best teacher ever.!!! she would stay late and actually make up individule homework packs, depending on what your kid was having trouble in. she would say how much she loves teaching. But too bad she was only a temp. golden hills lost.. FOR ME MRS. NOROUSKY MADE ME LOVE THIS SCHOOL-2009-2010

This is a wonderful school with caring teachers and great staff. Emphasis in media and art means that kids have music, TV production and other classes available. Project based for kids who are creative.

My twins started Kindergarten in September and we are so happy with the school. They are in two separate classrooms which has allowed us to interact with different teachers and we are pleased with both of them. Teachers are caring and the school in general is run very well. Lots of opportunities for parents to be involved.

Teachers are very good, motivating and compassionate. Principal and counselor are unprofessional and not working towards the best interest of the student. I agree with another comment where both principal and the counselor berate the kids which is totally inappropriate when dealing with kids. They do not get to the bottom of issues/complaints stating that 'things need to be investigated' and not taking the things seriously and basically being pushed aside. Front office staff also need to be more respectful and helpful of parents. Nurse is a caring and wonderful person-5 stars for her! Special Education personnel are too!

This school has incredible teachers - one could make a documentary showing the love and dedication of the teachers. The front desk is always courteous and helpful. The nurse is great and the Special Education support is good. Unfortunately, the Principle is unprofessional, inappropriate with children (berating them in unacceptable ways), and basically unapproachable. My child has some behavior issues which between he and the behavior counselor are not being handled well. The standard is to not get to the bottom of the problem, blame the person most likely to have done it, and then suspend. This is coupled with a lack of respect to parents when trying to resolve issues, lack of follow up and inability to conflict resolution. Most parents are newer immigrants from south and central America who may not have the time or skills to deal with this issue.

Last modified Golden Hill K-8 is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.