Bad
Good

We love our school. The staff all really know and care about each student. The principal a;so knows all the children, and what more could you ask. I believe this school is a total gem I have had two other children go thru and it was the best experience.I believe its like a private School,but a Charter School. We are so blessed.

oh and (I had the previous comment) I just read the comments about bad academics, and I respectfully disagree with you, I went to a very test oriented elementary and each year I have been here my advanced star test results have increased approximately 10 points each year. If you are a parent debating this school for your child it is the BEST choice! I have talked to all my friends at muirlands and pb middle and I like my school much better and get better test scores than they do!

I love this school. I went to a different Elementary school, where I got bullied and terrible grades. So when I went into a new school, I was ecstatic, but I had low expectations. I couldn't have been more wrong. I'm friends with everyone in the school, everyone supports what I do, and the teachers actually care! There are absolutely no text-books, and you can go at your own pace in learning. Knowledge isn't crammed down our throats, but instead we learn to understand through clever metaphors and funny personal stories. The project-based learning is just an added bonus! We get to create awesome stuff while unknowingly learning stuff! This school is good for all kinds of kids! Here, we learn to love, care and respect each other, and try to learn things in an 'outside of the box' style. HTMMA is the best. I remember when I attended my old school, my dad always told me that every year, the teachers would care less and less about you, and now that I go to HTMMA, he couldn't have been more wrong.

My daughter just completed 8th gr @ HTMMA & will be moving to HTHI.I agree with many reviewers in that project based learning is not for everyone. What I have learned in working with the system is there are great programs for top tier, disabled & ESL students. But if your child falls in the "great kid, plenty smart but not genius" category, it is incredibly easy to fall between the cracks. The staff at HTMMA will not allow that to happen. Every student is treated as an individual and appreciated for their unique contributions to the school and the world around them. When my daughter arrived at HTMMA in 6th grade her confidence had been shattered by her 5th gr teacher. She was struggling in school for the 1st time. By December of 6th grade, she was herself again. Enthusiastic about school, loved her teachers and friends, and came home excited by what she was doing. That pattern has continued every year since and her grades are excellent. When friends hear about the projects they are amazed by what these kids are exposed to. They'll try anything! It's summer break & she volunteered to spend a week helping the middle school teachers with the new 6th grade class. That says it all.

Project based learning isn't for everyone and some times it's hard to tell who's running the show at this unique charter school. Kids can spend a month making bottle rockets, and never really get the principles related to the project. (physics? cause-effect). Huge marks for building confidence and independent thinking, not so high marks for covering academic standards and setting a high bar for academic knowldege. We never had a strong math teacher in our three years at the school, and found our student to set lower expectations for himself because he wasn't expected to push himself beyond average. Student love this school, know their teachers, and have lots of fun building and creating things - if that's enough for you, then apply here. If you want strong academics, organization, and thorough academic understanding, you might want to take a look around. Be prepared to always be in fundraising mode, and know that budget cuts effect Charter schools more than anywhere else. Lots to love here, but lots of critical pieces missing, and for those who really want their kids to cover the same material that is taught in the public and private schools, you'll need to supplement.

My son was in the first 8th grade at HTHM and graduated from HTH International last year, a year early. He went to HTH after years in a terrific private school.. he loved the project based learning, he did a lot of reading from his own chosen texts. His teachers were aces, all of them.. they encouraged him to color outside the lines in terms of his own thinking and talents and capacities.. He is now happily ensconced at the greatest public university in the world, UC Berkeley, and though NOTa science major, in fact he is a humanities and music guy, he said he was surprised at how easy his requisite science class is for him, due to HTHI training... he says it is fairly easy for him to work independently at the college level, as he did the same thing at HTHI...

Great for average kids - unfortunately very inflexible for the bright ones.

Amazing school with an equaling amazing staff.

It a wonderful place designed for the students to enjoy while they learn. Absolutely the most dedicated and caring teachers in San Diego.

Great school, caring teachers and connected to real life.

Last modified High Tech Middle Media Arts School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.