No rating

Cathedral Catholic High School

Private | 9-12 | 1730 students

Living in San Diego

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $672,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,380.

Posted February 21, 2010

I chose to go to Cathedral over all the other schools in San DIego county, including the local public school which is in the top 100 in the nation. The first 2 weeks at CCHS were great but then it all went downhill from there. If you aren't super outgoing and high spirited in the first weeks of school you're automatically judged. Over the first semester i'd come home crying because I was having such a horrible experience. I thought the people were very judgemental, snobby, not including, and very materilisric. If you aren't super rich then it seems as if you are looked down upon. also its horrible having people come from all over the county because then on weekends if you do try and hang out with them its next to impossible. I was so unhappy i left at the end of the 1st semester.

Posted February 9, 2010

We could NOT be happier with the school. The teachers are superior at their jobs, but more imporantly they care about the students and really go out of their way to help them do well. The atmsophere is friendly and encourages social activity, with lots of dances, sporting events, rallies, and so forth. The counseling team is awesome and the principal is a truly good and decent man. We feel blessed to have found this school.

Posted June 21, 2009

As a recently graduated student, I found my experience at Cathedral unfortunately disappointing, largely because it was such a new school, still in the process of developing its curriculum and individual 'spirit.' Despite this, I believe the school had steadily improved since my freshman year, and will continue to do so in the future. Students who end up attending the best colleges excel strongly in either academics or athletics. A significant complaint among academically oriented students is that there is heavy grade deflation that often leaves the best Cathedral students at a disadvantage when applying to colleges and gaining admittance. This is why very few students ultimately attend Ivy League or other top schools. Cathedral is still making a name for itself among top universities, and will likely not catch up to its counterparts (including Torrey Pines, Bishops, Francis Parker, and La Jolla High) for some time. Most students come from North County, and although Cathedral may be criticized for having a lot kids with a sense of entitlement, there are definitely some down to earth, practical students. Cliques maintain a strong prevalence on and off campus, but there is no reason why any student can't find their particular niche. The more advanced classes tend to have the better, more experienced teachers, but as is in all schools Cathedral has its lemons. I know plenty of people that have become enamored with Cathedral, and to end up truly happy with the school; it takes the right individual. When choosing a high school it is very important to determine what you are looking for, and what your goals are in the future. For students who are more self reliant, I think they would feel stifled at Cathedral and could thrive much more at another local school, but for students who are less confident and need some coddling, Cathedral is a good place.

Posted June 15, 2009

I absolutely love this school. I just completed my freshman year and am looking forward to the next 3 years at CCHS! It's such a great school and is strong both academically and athletically. All of our teams are very prestigious, which makes it an even bigger deal once you make one. The teachers are so dedicated to their jobs and really give their 100% all of the time. They are always open for tutoring before and after school and if you're ever failing a class they make sure to give you special attention so you can bring that grade up! There are so many opportunities to grow as a person at CCHS-we have amazing sports teams, many clubs, and ASB, Campus Ministry, and Ambassadors! In my one year spent at CCHS I have grown as a person in so many ways.

Posted May 23, 2009

Not a particularly good value for your $$$. Expected more from a Catholic high school. School admin is mostly interested in higher performing academic and athletic students who will bring 'prestige' to the school (and hence more $$). Not so much attention paid to those students who struggle..teacher/admin attitudes are inflexible to these poor 'step children'. Great athletic programs which is the one reason we kept our student enrolled there, but if your student doesn't play a club sport, the likelyhood of being able to make a team is greatly diminished. Overall attitude of students is that of 'entitlement' which reflects the socio-economic class that enrollment is drawn from. We would move our student if there was a better alternative, unfortunately the public schools in San Diego are worse.

Posted March 25, 2009

As a parent of a non athletic student who is challenged academically, I find the staff and resources at CCHS too limited or unavailable to students requiring useful outside classroom assistance. There is no justice for all here. The administration asserts the right to harass, interrogate and insult students that make decisions that may be immature yet common for teenagers. As an educator in the public school system, I feel the tuition, lack of personal care and attention to matters that concern all are worthy of anyone's concern. I guess my money pays for the lovely campus and extracurricular activities offered. The high school experience here does not bolster self esteem or treat all students with due respect. I teach students and my family that respect is a two way street and to always forgive, forget and move on. Such is not the philosophy at CCHS in my opinion.

Posted February 20, 2009

Cathedral has been a bit of a disappointment for our family. Our freshman a strong student academically, came from a public school setting & had a hard time transitioning. The sports teams are extremely difficult to make roster if you are not the 'cream of the crop'. We were really hoping that our son would have a balanced high school experience, but that hasn't been the case. We think the campus is beautiful, but that does not make a school. We are transferring back to our local high school in Tierrasanta where most of his friends went to begin with. Admin has been a bit lax on dress code & some conduct of students (PDA) has not been addressed. For our family, not worth the money spent. Such a shame...

Posted December 7, 2008

I really enjoyed attending Uni/Cathdedral. I attended four years of extracurricular activities including Campus Ministry and ASB. Teachers are good. I'm sorry but dress code is not strictly enforced, they just like saying that for some reason. I give safety an A+. Lovely campus, awesome people. I loved my experience there and thank God for being an alumni. I recommend joining a club or sport.

Posted November 15, 2008

super strict, takes away any sort of school spirit, an ok school if you like being around rich snobs all the time

Posted June 12, 2008

For the amount of $$ spent on our child's education our expectations for a well prepared college entrant were quickly dashed and the staff was far more concerned with self esteem and not 'ruining the student socially' than interested in helping us turn the poor grades around.

Posted February 16, 2008

it is so fun and has great academics. My son loves it cause there is a surf teeam!

Posted August 21, 2007

Cathedral Catholic High School truely has a warm and welcoming atmosphere rooted in the values of the Catholic Christian tradition. I was very pleased when I arrived on campus for the first time freshman year! Coming from a public school I knew almost no one, but I found the students at Uni/Cathedral to be extremely amiable, welcoming, and embracing. I was very pleased with my experience over the past four years at Uni and Cathedral.

Posted January 19, 2007

Very good school, great teachers teaching very many levels of classes that will surely be a fit for any student academically. Overall the classes are wonderful, the AP programs especially. If you are a student looking for very challenging college preparatory work this is the place for you. If you are below average student however this place is probably not worth the money. Sports wise cathedral packs it in with the various programs, some of the best are our top ranked basketball, football teams as well as out swimming that received a number one rank for the girls team in 2005-2006 year. Safety and security are paramount at Cathedral, I have never felt endangered at any time. Dress code is strongly enforced so student need to be aware of that.
—Submitted by a staff

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mr. Stevan Laaperi
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of San Diego

Sports

Boys sports
  • Baseball
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5555 Del Mar Heights Road