No rating

Cathedral Catholic High School

Private | 9-12 | 1730 students

Living in San Diego

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $672,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,380.

Posted today

I was lucky enough to attend the famous UNI high for 2 years before we were forced to transfer to Cathedral. Although I missed the hallowed halls of USDHS, Cathedral was wonderful. The modern feel and beautiful layout made you feel at home. The sheer privilege of attending this school is often lost upon the more privileged children that attend. None the less I miss the classes, teachers, and atmosphere of CCHS

Posted September 5, 2014

I am a junior at this school and I absolutely wish I could switch to an another school. Although the campus is clean and nice, the education is not worth the 14,000+ tuition. I transferred from a public school in a bad area- quite frankly, I got much better grades there and the teachers were more accepting and open. As a freshman, my math teacher was fired because of his lack of ability to teach. The following year, a decent teacher, left to teach at a different high school because Cathedral does not pay their teachers a fair amount. This year, 2014, CCHS hired new teachers and some of them are definitely unqualified, as well as the councilors. (They have also changed the schedule- only a small fraction of the students like the change) Also, I feel pushed to become more social and popular, as it seems like many of these students are sheltered by their rich parents and seem very judgmental. When I transferred here, I felt very unwelcomed. The entire community is gated with security; in some terms this is good, but while walking around school I feel like I am doing something wrong and will get a detention any minute.

Posted July 24, 2014

This school was horrible for my child. She was influenced in drugs and alcohol to the extent where I felt I had to send her to rehab. She told me the "wealthy" environment was judgmental and I didn't want her around that. The teachers could care less about the students. I wasn't happy with CCHS, if you're child isn't a jock or advanced student, don't send them here. After my terrible experience, I sent my child to La Costa Canyon and was thrilled. She got great grades and instantly loved the environment and school. Check out LCC if you would like to better your child and prepare them for the life ahead.

Posted July 7, 2014

CCHS is my home! I absolutely love this school and everything about. When you walk on campus and look up at the crosses all around you and admire the buildings named after saints, you can just feel the spirit of God and rejoice in the catholic faith! I love that we go to mass each month and gather as an entire student body! I love the teachers and that each one just wants you to grow not only as a student and academically, but mentally and by preparing you for the future world beyond high school. If your faith is important to you and you wish to learn more about faith in your own life then come to cathedral catholic. You will not be disappointed. If academics are important to you come here because I assure you, you WILL be challenged! You will have fun and meet so many great friends. Not to mention have many many opportunities to find what you like and get involved by joining sports and clubs. CCHS is my home and always will be. I hope you will consider this amazing school that I had the privilege to go to.

Posted September 27, 2013

2nd year in, our honest opinion is CCHS is academically the best school we have encountered. Our son has excelled both in sports and school work here due to dedication from coaches and teachers. Teachers are fun and engaging and so far....excellent. Financial assistance is offered if you need it. Have not been aware of any bullying at CCHS. Great school spirit and football games are a blast when many alumni come out to watch and they do!! Also, they have a good mix of students from different cultures and backgrounds, even international students come over to attend CCHS. So far, very happy with it and it has been a very very good fit for our child.

Posted August 31, 2013

My daughter has attended Cathedral Catholic all four years and will be a senior this year. This school is fantastic and I feel my daughter will be prepared for any Ivy League school . The classes are small , teachers seem enthusiastic and she has always felt very supported . We have always needed a little help with financial aid and have received it. We are not rich and your students have the choice who they want to associate themselves with. My son went to Torrey Pines first with over fourty kids in each class and some teachers that could care less about his education. He also took a physics class at Torrey Pines that did not require enough classes to have a good outcome with the class. Cathedral makes sure that you take the necessary classes needed to be successful in the next class you take. I hope my youngest middle school student is able to get into Cathedral next year because it is worth all sacrifice for our family. Excellent high quality experience overall.

Posted May 29, 2013

My daughter is about to graduate this weekend after four years at Cathedral. It is NOT worth the money. The administration is rigid, judgmental, and unresponsive. My daughter is being denied the honor of wearing the CSF sash, even though she made the grades all four years because she didn't turn in the paperwork one semester. The principal will not even return my calls or emails. This is but one example...I could go on and on. I have a freshman at Del Norte High School and LOVE it. Love the principal Greg Mizel who goes out of his way to award students. So bummed we paid the money for Cathedral for four years. Would love a refund.

Posted May 14, 2013

My child is a Freshman and just finishing up the school year at CCH$. Unfortunately, the school was a huge disappointment from the top down. The culture of the school is to protect those who donate the most money to the school and to allow their children to harass, bully and create a hostile education environment. The principle, president and athletic director have created a triad of self protection for themselves. Most of the teachers have the best intentions but are powerless due to the weak administration who chooses financial donations versus doing the right thing. Athletically, the school allows parents to coach their own kids and becomes a repeat of youth sports where daddy ball is allowed and those who practice this behavior are protected by the AD and academic administration. Also, team practices for various sports are arranged AROUND outside clubs who pay to rent the facilities therefore, those who are paying tuition are given a second seat to those who bring extra revenue to the school. I thought our tuition was to cover school expenses? Before making a commitment to attend (giving your money) I encourage you to interview a wide range of student/parents past/present.

Posted March 18, 2013

Many teachers in this school does not grade student work. The students end up with bad grade due to "missing assignments". Your kids do their jobs but teachers at this school cathedral catholic high don't do theirs. Their homeworks pile up under their desks. They only pay attention to who kids parents are rich and famous. who kids parent are working hard to afford the tuition seem forgotten. Your kid future is ruined by their teachers laziness. I wonder the principle of this school even makes sure his staffs do their jobs.

Posted January 27, 2013

My daughter is in 10th grade and absolutely loves CCHS. She is an excellent student and is appropriately challenged by her teachers. She is also an athlete and enjoys playing on the school teams. She also has wonderful friends who are good kids with strong character. As a parent, I am thrilled with all that my daughter has received from the school in the pas two years. My son can't wait to be able to go to CCHS in two years. There have been a few teachers that were not the best, but overall my family loves this school and can't imagine putting our children anywhere else.

Posted November 30, 2012

The high influx of reviews over a short amount of time tells me that most of these five star reviews were written by someone on the faculty. I graduated from this school two years ago and had a miserable time. The schools two main priorities are athletics and handing out detentions for minor uniform infractions. Yes, the school is challenging, but there's a difference between having good academics and just having a heavy workload. I've had teachers that were completely unqualified for their positions, something that is completely unacceptable at a school with a tuition that's $14,000+. A large percentage of the student body is from a wealthy family. I've met some of the meanest people I've ever met here. It's full of sheltered rich kids who have no desire to do anything but social climb. Anyways, the high tuition is not worth it. The campus is gorgeous and you get the satisfaction of saying you go to Cathedral, but the years of mental anguish (stemming from being surrounded by so many awful people) and the excessive strictness didn't make the school worth it for me. I knew I would have been happier spending my four years elsewhere.

Posted September 15, 2012

The only reason that I am giving this school a five star rating is because there isn't six stars available. Both of my kids attend CCHS and they absolutely love it. The campus is so five star it's not even comparable to 90% of the other schools in San Diego. Yes it costs a lot, but that's what you have to expect when you want to send your kids to private school. I have personally met with multiple administrators as well as teachers and they are all really great people. I would highly recommend that everybody send their kids here.

Posted September 15, 2012

I am a student at Cathedral and I absolutely love it. As a freshman I was unsure about it because I had gone to public school all my life, but now as a senior I couldn't be more happy I decided to go to Cathedral. The teachers are really great and super accessible and will help you when you need it. You are also treated as an adult and I feel I am much more prepared for college and what the future holds for me not only because of the great education I get but also because of the values the school teaches and the people I have met. I love this school and am so glad that I go here.

Posted September 13, 2012

This school is pricey, however it is well worth it. Both my kids have been well prepared for college. They had to work hard at their classes, and we had to sacrifice to send our kids there. We could barely afford it but nevertheless this was a once in a lifetime experience for them. The staff members are truly nice people.

Posted August 31, 2012

I recently graduated from CCHS and it was the best four years. The students are all so friendly and welcoming, it is a blessing to be around everyone. The teachers get to know the students so well and are really passionate about their jobs. They are outstanding at what they do, and love helping the students. They give each student the attention and help they need in order to be most successful, and they push us to do our best. My favorite part of Cathedral was the community. It is such a fun place to be! No matter where you come from, what you believe, what sports you do or don't play, or what you like to study, you will find a place at Cathedral. I loved Cathedral Catholic more than anything and I can't wait to go back and visit! Cathedral has the most school spirit I've ever seen before. Whether it be at our school masses, a sporting event, a rally, a school dance, or even just day to day on campus, the students are very proud of their school, and love to show it. Cathedral Catholic High School is the place to be.

Posted August 29, 2012

So glad we found this school and got out of the horrible San Diego city schools!

Posted August 20, 2012

My son will be a sophomore at Cathedral and he enjoys the challenging classes he has. There is no bullying that he has seen and he has.not mentioned any differences between the rich kids and others. Had he not gone here he would.have had to go to Mission Bay. This is a very good school and he is happy to go there. Bill

Posted August 17, 2012

I love working at Cathedral Catholic High School and reading some of these reviews makes me sad. I am sorry that some of these people had negative experiences. I have had many, many positive experiences here and I love the people I work with. I have been teaching for 15 years and have taught in several different schools, both public and private. I left a very high achieving public school to work here and I have never regretted my decision. I believe Cathedral is a special place because of the faculty, staff, families, and most importantly the students. We have some truly amazing and talented kids in our community and I feel lucky to get to interact, discuss, debate, challenge, and learn with them. Our school community really does feel like a family to me. I love this place and hope to spend the rest of my teaching career here. I invite anyone who is interested in our school to come and visit and see what we are all about. We would be happy to see you.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 16, 2012

My son is student in this school. He has a really good GPA but they didn't help him to even change one of his classes in his schedule. he has 3 AP classes and 2 of them are in the same day with precalc. Principle is so rude and they don't help you at all. All they want is your money and thats it. there are 1700 students in this school because of that teachers cant pay attention to all of them. so if your child needs someone to push him for studying don't choose this school at all. This school is just a big fancy one with wealthy students. thats it. If you want to waste your money go ahead and send your child to this school. All they want is your MONEY

Posted August 6, 2012

My son came to Cathedral after finishing middle school at a private Catholic school (Cathedral was his choice). While Freshman year was an adjustment year (as I think is the case in ANY high school) he absolutely loves it. The campus is practically drug free and extremely safe. Weapons and gang activity are non-existent. To me that is worth all the money in the world. He is entering his Junior year this year and while he complains about the work load and too much testing, the knowledge he has gained there is evident to me when I talk with him about his classes. I must say he has had maybe two really bad teachers (one was his Spanish teacher who everyone seems to have a problem with) but that can happen in any school. My son's friends from Cathedral have spent a lot of time with our family and are the nicest kids I know and a joy to be around. The school has high standards and my son has risen to meet them, because that is what is expected of him. If all schools were like Cathedral, there would be a lot less troubled youth in this country. Great school, great principal and worth every cent in my opinion.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mr. Stevan Laaperi
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of San Diego

Sports

Boys sports
  • Baseball
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5555 Del Mar Heights Road