Posted October 24, 2013
My son is enjoying his second year at MRES and we are so pleased with the school and how much he is learning. He is very happy there and we couldn't be happier with the way the school is run. Two thumbs up for my son's current teacher, Mrs. Underhill, an excellent teacher!

Monterey Ridge Elementary School 4

Posted October 24, 2013
very good school with great third grade teachers. The leadership and parent involvement is great. a good multicultural school.

Posted October 08, 2013
I couldn't be happier with MRES. My daughter started kindergarten there this year and it has been fabulous. Her teacher and ESS program is outstanding! The school has a great principal and structure. They are very informative keeping parents updated on a weekly, sometimes daily basis. I want to comment on the last 2 reviews listed here. About the parent who moved to CA-Yes, PUSD is one of the best. Im sorry you didn't do some researching on CA schools before you moved, but blaming PUSD for your regret of moving is atrocious. Obviously CA is not the "NE". PUSD is lucky enough to have such great teachers/parent support that they can overcome the budget cuts CA endures. A class size of 28 is not uncommon at all. Not sure where the class size of 35 comes from, as I believe 28 is the max. To the comment about the lottery system-I believe its best to blame the district about their systems, as opposed to the school. It was no secret that this school does a lottery. I don't think its fair to blame the school for something the district obviously decides.

Monterey Ridge Elementary School 2

Posted May 30, 2013
We moved to California in 2011. Everyone told us that PUSD was the place to be for our kids to get a good education. I think maybe for CA schools, PUSD and this school might be considered great. Unfortunately I am horrified at what people consider a "great" education in San Diego. The programs (art, music, a real GATE program for elem) offered in our old school are nonexistent here. The class sizes are huge, 35 kids in one classroom is not acceptable. 22 was the max in the public school my kids attended in the NE. The schools are under funded and it shows. The teachers are really only teaching to test standards and not really caring if kids enjoy learning or are even learning at all. The whole thing makes me very sad and wish I had never come to CA to begin with.

Monterey Ridge Elementary School 1

Posted May 22, 2013
It is ridiculous that you have a lottery for children to attend your school. especially those that live across the street, insane. No matter how great your school is, the fact that you prohibit children that live less than 500 feet to not go to your school, is poor administration. My child feels he is not good enough, as well as the fact I paid 7 years of melaroos to go to a 22 year old school and not the one RIGHT next to my house.

Posted June 25, 2012
I am very happy with this school and it's staff. My child just completed kindergarten, and Mrs. Stokes was an AMAZING teacher, who was very patient, attentive, and caring towards her students. She encouraged students to do their best and enjoy their education while learning. My child could not wait to go to class. She was also very engaging with parents providing weekly updates of what was taught in class and tips with how to continue that learning process at home. The school is also one of the few to still provide music and PE. As principal Dr. Newman is a complete advocate for each student to reach their potential and have the best educational experience possible. He was very active in the student population and very approachable for students and parents. He will be missed by everyone as he is moving forward in his career and commitment to children's education.

Monterey Ridge Elementary School 4

Posted July 25, 2011
Overall this is a good school. Some of the teachers and staff can be unprofessional at times though.

Posted June 13, 2011
This school is a great environment for children of ALL abilities and talents. My son has an IEP and I've been very pleased with the advocacy of staff and administration working together with parents on behalf of all children. Dr Newman is a tremendous leader in the local special needs community.

Posted May 21, 2011
An amazing place! I never dreamed our children's school epxerience would be this rich. My child loves going to school. The principal is everywhere and leads a great staff of teachers who care and teach with great passion. As a parent I a encouraged to be part of the school and particpate. A wonderful place and there is such a feeling of community on campus.

Posted May 18, 2010
This is the best school hands down and we would not want our 9 year old anywhere else! The Principal is a true visionary making sure the children get the best education and ensuring the staff are maintaining a very high teaching standard. The scores from the last CST prove this is working. In addition, the school environment is one of love and guidance where parents are involved and always welcomed. There is a wait list for new teachers and new students to get into this small gem which says a great deal about any school. My entire family feels fortunate to be able to be a part of MRES. Keep up the great job!

Monterey Ridge Elementary School
17117 4s Ranch Parkway, San Diego, CA  92127
Last modified Monterey Ridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Monterey Ridge Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top