No rating

The Cambridge School

Private | PK-8 | 191 students

We are best known for academic rigor and spiritual vitality.

Student diversity

Living in San Diego

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $450,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,740.

Posted March 18, 2014

Sadly, we recently moved from San Diego and ended our time with The Cambridge School (TCS) for now. After studying Latin for 3 years at TCS, our 4th-grade twins walked into their first-ever Spanish class at their new school for gifted students and used Latin training to pick it right up. Their new Spanish teacher is thrilled! Also, because of TCS's excellent elementary Mandarin classes, they are already at or near the top of their class at the new school. In addition, they are among the top students in math, reading, and writing in their new school. But most of all, their new teachers are quite taken with the twins' personalities. They describe them as calm, confident, well-spoken students who bring a "light and joy" and a love of learning to their classes. We feel strongly that TCS played a big role in this. And we would add "God Loving" to that description as well! TCS is that rare gem of academic rigor, character focus, and Classical Christian training rolled together with parent involvement. We recommend it and its outstanding teachers and staff without reservation. Embrace this school if you get a chance. There are few like it anywhere and we miss it tremendously.

Posted May 17, 2013

Our family is so fortunate to have found The Cambridge School. This school has been such a blessing to us. My son (Kindergarten) has flourished here at TCS. The curriculum (especially for K) is amazing and you can tell that the administration has put in a lot of time researching and developing what they believe will work best in educating young minds. He even teaches me Mandarin and Latin vocabulary! My son's teacher has always been very accessible (email, phone, and conferences). When speaking to her, I can tell she has put a lot of thought into my son's progress, his strengths and things he could work on. The teachers here are phenomenal. Although my son is only in Kindergarten, after school one day I happen to be speaking to one of the second grade teachers. I shared with her that I was impressed with the second grade sentence diagrams and that I wasn't sure if I could possible do it...well she enthusiastically told me she would teach me if I had time and she started clearing off a space at her desk! This enthusiasm for teaching is inspiring and you can feel it from all of the teachers. Everyday I drop my son off at school I am at peace knowing he is where he should be.

Posted May 14, 2013

Amazing is the first word that comes to mind when I think about The Cambridge School. What my child is learning is far beyond what his peer group is learning in the surrounding public schools. I absolutely love everything about this school, from the teachers to the administration. The Cambridge School is everything that I prayed for a school to be and more. I can only pray that other families will read these wonderful reviews and come and see how amazing this school is.

Posted March 4, 2013

Some of the negative reviews from 2007 and 2008 have everything to do with our having been a brand-new school and nothing to do with the mission,vision and values espoused and instilled throughout the curriculum and culture. It is reasonable and safe to say that in its 7th year of existence, The Cambridge School is everything all these positive reviews have to say and more! Also, just FYI, with God's blessings, we will be receiving our WASC accreditation in July of the year of this review.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 1, 2012

We came to Cambridge from another top Christian School in the area and we are just truly amazed by this school. The curriculum is like nothing we've ever seen - a rigorous Classical Christian Education - that our kids just love and thrive on. The faculty are phenomenal. All of the teachers we have encountered are so passionate about what they teach and so passionate about our children. The Administration fosters a culture of partnering with families and takes the time to really get to know and understand each family. The other families are so genuine and real...we feel like we are really part of a community here. There is strong emphasis on character and virtues incorporated at every level of this school from academics to athletics, even enrichments - which creates a peaceful, loving environment. We feel so enriched as an entire family to be part of such a stellar academic and spiritual school the has the education and values in exactly the right place!

Posted August 9, 2012

Our two sons attend The Cambridge School. One is going into 2nd grade, the other into K. This school is amazing. Just yesterday both of our sons received letters from their teachers expressing their excitement for the upcoming year, how they have been praying for my kids and how they look forward to what they will learn this year. The small class sizes along with a teacher's aide in each classroom provides our kids an optimal learning environment. That along with the classical christian approach to education is putting our kids on the path to become life-long learners. They also provide other learning opportunities to round out our kids' skills including athletics, academic competitions and clubs/activities (such as fencing: what 5 and 7 year old boy would not enjoy learning how to use a sword!). Very thankful to have found this school and be a part of something great!

Posted June 20, 2012

Our daughters are entering 3rd and 6th grade this year, and we couldn't be more pleased with The Cambridge School. Our elder hated being in front of a crowd; after six months at TCS she was volunteering to enter a recitation contest. Our younger daughter is a firecracker; we are thankful that at TCS developing godly character and cultivating the virtues is as important as developing ones mind and have seen her learn to love to do both. Having homeschooled, I found TCS uses all my dream curriculum (including Singapore Math and Institute for Excellence in Writing). The teachers love their students and love learning themselves. The 20 minute drive each way is worth it.

Posted February 21, 2012

Fantastic school! I have a child in the first grade and K4. They love it here. Mrs. Lowing in K4 just loves her kids and really reached out to them. Mrs. Clevenger spends quality time with the kids in first grade. The class sizes are small and a room mom or aide is usually in the room. My son started to read this year in first grade and is constantly buying books when we go out and reading them. My daughters energy level is sky high with excitement to attend school everyday. Both my children hate holidays because they really enjoy going to school here. My son told me the other day, I can't wait until Friday!! Why? I love Latin!! Other parents are pretty easy to approach and are outgoing. I haven't noticed any stuffy crowds. Most parents are really involved with the school and tend to volunteer when needed. Sean Giles is a huge asset. Barbara in the front office is Ms. Courtesy of the year. Always willing to help out. We love this school and so do our children.

Posted January 16, 2012

We moved 2 of our children to this school last year (2010) and had such a great experience that we decided to move our other child there too starting in 2011. We moved from an "excellent" public school to The Cambridge School. The difference is unbelievable! I expected to see a change for my children who needed smaller class sizes and someone to help them get excited about school. What I didn't expect was the change for my child who I thought could do fine anywhere. I didn't even realize that she had lost her love of learning. She is so energized about school now that her joy is evident all weekend long. I could go on and on about the curriculum, teachers, and the Christian values but fundamentally if you want your children to love to learn, this is the place for them!

Posted October 24, 2011

The Cambridge School is amazing - it has actually exceeded our expectations! We never imagined educators who care so much about our child. It has developed a dynamic vision of education and has hired talented, passionate teachers to carry it out. Their system works. Our daughter learned more in the first 9 months of school at Cambridge than she did the entire previous 4.5 years spent at another private school. I believe this school offers some of the finest, if not the finest, primary school education in the San Diego area. This makes their tuition a surprisingly good value for our family. And given their commitment to my child's spiritual development as well, Cambridge is in a class of its own. Icing on the cake: Our daughter loves going to school!

Posted October 20, 2011

We are very blessed and honored for our daughter to attend The Cambridge School (TCS); she is now in her third year. TCS is truly in a class by itself and offers no less than a transformational learning environment. The combination of a classical education (eg, math, science, arts, languages) coupled with a Christian worldview is powerful to affect both the hearts and minds of the students. The TCS environment is academically rich and nurturing, so students are not just informed with facts and knowledge but transformed in this setting. TCS sets a high standard for the faculty who have advanced degrees and a strong creative passion for teaching the classical-Christian curriculum. The teachers also love and pray for each student and work closely with parents on their child s progress. TCS lays a solid foundation and love for learning for life; students are challenged to excel but also have a lot of fun in the process. As a parent, it s also awesome to be a part of the greater Cambridge community of families and friends. Through the mission and work of TCS, students lives, families, churches, and society are truly being impacted eternally for the glory of God!

Posted October 19, 2011

Our daughters transferred to The Cambridge School this year (grades 2 and 5) and are very happy. They are up and ready even before I wake them up. The teachers are loving, patient, and pass on their love of learning. I helped in the classroom on a group project recently and was impressed by the students' kindness to each other. Plus they are learning immense amounts while simultaneously developing a servant's heart. Friday morning Memory Time is worth attending to see the learning in action.

Posted May 17, 2011

We are completing our first year at Cambridge and are very happy of how the year went. We were not really looking for a school that had a religious base as much as we were for one that had a very sound academic program. The Classical way of teaching was new to us and we did a lot of research prior to attending Cambridge. We stay on top of our children's education and have been pleased with the Mandarin and Latin teaching-which has been fun for my kindergartner. We were also new to the Singapore math method, but aware that America's traditional way of teaching math is failing. The Singapore method does appear slow in kindergarten and I had concerns regarding whether or not they were teaching all the concepts necessary, but after doing research, I learned that this is a typical experience and that it all comes together in first and second grade. If you were to change schools early on that might be a problem. The reading and writing programs are very strong. We have also been pleased with History and Science which we were evaluating closely based on the fact that a lot of religious schools are weak in this area. We will continue to evaluate-but over all are very pleased.

Posted March 3, 2011

The Cambridge School has more than exceeded our expectations. The faculty, staff, and administration are top rate - extremely professional, loving, and committed to growing godly and wise children. As a former educator at both public and private Christian schools in the San Diego area, I have found Cambridge to be in a class of its own. It is still a very young school, and does not have many of the the bells and whistles that larger schools can afford, but the vision for growth is extremely strong and well-planned. Both of our children are thriving at The Cambridge School!

Posted January 30, 2011

We weren't looking for just an average Christian school. We looked for a school with strong academics to challenge our curious son and that also teaches that all of creation belongs to God and all knowledge is His. This school does that and with teachers who have cared not only for our child's mind but his soul. We're in our second year here. After being at two other Christian schools, we've seen nothing that comes close to comparing.

Posted December 6, 2010

The Cambridge School has instilled a love of learning in my child. They employ innovative teachers who cultivate curiosity in the children with an organized logical approach to learning. The school is very pro-family as they do not fill the students' (and thus the parents') nights and weekends with meaningless projects and homework. Since time is not wasted during the school day, homework is meaningful and moderate. Prior to finding Cambridge my child fought me every morning because she did not want to go to school. At Cambridge, she is sad when there is a day off. High academics, innovative teaching, wonderful families -- I have found Cambridge to be all it proclaims to be!

Posted November 30, 2010

This school has heavy change over. Their founder recently stepped down and they brought in a new Head Master who is only there for 1 year. The school employees some teachers that are very aggressive and unrealistic. They expect a 4 year old to read/write/sit still non stop. They are also located in an area that doesn't allow growth in class sizes, too small a chapel, no future sports, etc. Some parents never get involved, some never give and the overall attitude is that this school is better than everyone else. The founder gives speeches throughout each school year and it's the same old story.

Posted November 21, 2010

Cambridge offers a very nurturing environment that gets my son excited about learning new things. He is only 6 and can recite all of the books of the Bible, and he sings hymns that he learns at school throughout the day. He is always doing creative projects that bring learning to life for him. The school has a warm community of parents, faculty, staff and students who work together to make the school excel.

Posted September 19, 2010

Sadly, we cannot recommend this school. They are 'selling' a program that does not exist. Facts are this school is unstable with a lot of changes at the expense of families. They really should stop glorifying themselves that they are better than other schools. I really do not think that this school is any better than any other local schools they are competing with, private or public.

Posted September 30, 2009

We are very happy with our kid's education at the Cambridge School. Each day during our prayers, he would thank God for a fun fun day he had at the school. Although we were newbies in the school, he already feels that all the school mates are his friends, and we are also felt a strong sense of community too. From our observation, their academic is more rigorous than the Montessori school our son origionally attended. And the character training is excellent. The teacher really cares and is available. The student: teacher ratio is also great.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Korean
Russian
Spanish
Romanian
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Highest Level of WASC Accreditation (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Forensics club

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:00 p.m.
  • Jean Kim
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Classical, Christian
Fax number
  • (858) 484-3458

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • Classical Christian Liberal Arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Auditorium
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Poetry
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Room Parents
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor