Urban Discovery Academy Charter School

Charter | K-8 | 330 students

Posted September 12, 2013

My child has attended UDA for 5 years and we couldn't be happier with the quality of the teaching staff and care and professionalism they bring to the classroom everyday. Interesting to read many of the negative comments and question the motivation of those that are spreading misinformation.

Posted September 11, 2013

Our school had some big changes this past summer, but as a teacher I am excited about moving forward and am encouraged by improvements that will support our project based learning and arts program. Change can certainly be scary, but it is also gives an opportunity to grow. I think as a staff we are more united and more empowered to move forward. We have an incredible, dedicated group of teachers who provide a high quality education. I challenge you to find a more passionate teaching staff. Unlike what other comments here have suggested, the teachers are not being intimidated by anyone. We are happy to be here, we are happy to be a part of UDA and we look forward to educating your child.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 26, 2013

This is a quality school of CHOICE. It was not a private school before, lots of misinformation in the recent comments. Unfortunate that a few parents with questionable motives choose to talk about this school this way. Proof is in the pudding. Quality leadership, quality teachers, teachers are HAPPY with changes made, happy, successful students. The few parents who are not happy, are just now discovering that the school is actually not managed or operated by them. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY IT'S OPERATED, YOU CAN CHOOSE ANOTHER SCHOOL, PLEASE stop bashing the school.

Posted August 26, 2013

Teachers are being intimidated and parents disrespected by the Board of Trustees. The leadership and motivations of the board have become particularly questionable in recent months. The Board has even recently changed their own bylaws so that instead of coming to an end of their term this year they have voted themselves to indefinite terms. Unfortunately, changing schools this late in the summer is not an easy task, but if you still have an option I would recommend going elsewhere.

Posted August 4, 2013

Before this school became a charter school, it was a private school that had to close its doors due to "lack of funds," to put it politely. Now it has a charter and is forced to close the pre-school program as well as the before and after care. We have to stay this year, but next year we will go to a more stable school. If you are considering this school, don't.

Posted August 3, 2013

This is not a community school. The board runs it with no communication. The founding principal was on vacation when they decided to fire her and several support staff with no reason given. They closed the pre school while it had attendees with no warning and left parents having to leave work and scramble. More changes will come and they will not tell you to prepare your child. The lease is up soon on the building and we have no idea if there is a new location. My husband and I are anguished over having to take our children from their friends they have grown up with. Your local public school is a better choice.

Posted July 25, 2013

I am extremely disappointed with this school. This summer the Principle and Administration were fired and the Preschool was closed. This all happened at incredibly short notice and with no reasonable explanation given to parents. In a school which prided itself on a strong community and parent involvement I feel this went against the entire ethos of the school. We will not be returning.

Posted December 8, 2012

The principal is rude! She is too young and needs more experience dealing with common courtesy, and understanding what is important academically.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 23, 2012

MY son has been attending Urban Discovery Academy for 4 years, and they have helped him every step of the way. The staff goes above and beyond to help children academically and socially. I am extremely impressed with the conduct of the principal, and her desire to make the school the best it can be FOR THE KIDS. My son had a difficult time attending school at one point, and Urban Discovery Academy worked with me and my son to get him to a point where he now feels EXCITED to attend school. Without the staff at UDA, my son would have had a very difficult time fitting in and feeling accepted. My appreciation for this school is immense. I agree about the lack of organized sports, and I think the school is making strides to include more of them. They also want to introduce the use of iPads instead of having the kids lug books around in their over-sized backpacks. It's a great school. Small classrooms. Comfortable environment. Wonderful staff!

Posted October 23, 2012

We appreciate this school greatly! As a parent, who carefully analyzed many schools in the district, we were fortunate to have our daughter attend UDA. I confidently write that UDA is extraordinary. The school has a mission to provide a rigorous well-rounded education. In the process, it creates a loving and nurturing environment for our daughter to learn and feel confident to succeed. Over the past few years, UDA has made amazing improvements in their foreign language enrichment programs and after school activities. It has also implemented a healthy home style lunch program, giving families a remarkable option. It is a small community oriented school that provides personalized attention to its students. Our daughter s teachers have been wholehearted devoted to her growth and development, while making learning fun for her. The school s principal is a dynamic and amazing visionary who works closely with the staff and parents to make the school better. She cares deeply about the kids and about their families too. Our daughter loves going to school. This is a tribute to the dedication of the UDA teachers, staff and leadership.

Posted October 9, 2012

We love this school for many reasons. Academically, we feel it is right on course with each grade level. Each child seems to be addressed with each of their own specific needs and the overall feeling in the classrooms is a sense of community. There is a big anti-bully campaign at the school and is looking at teaching students pro-active tools to prevent bullying. There is so much parent involvement and there are lots of parents that know the children by name. There are formal PE classes, foreign language, and art and this is during a time where other school are cutting back. We are very pleased to be part of the UDA family in middle school!

Posted September 26, 2012

Good school if your kid is average. Lots of extra curricular activities. We pulled our kid out due to poor academics. Sports are weak also.

Posted September 2, 2011

This school is a wonderful school that has been built from the ground up to give our children a well rounded education. It also strives to create a strong family atmosphere that my 2 children are striving in, both academically and socially. We have been a part of the school from the start and strongly recommend it to anyone that asks. This school is only starting its 4th year of existence and has grown leaps and bounds from its inception. What people need to remember is that it is a charter school, you have other choices! If this is not working for you or your child and you have no suggestions to possibly fix your perceived issues then maybe you should try your local public school. Or maybe pay through the roof for a private school. In other words...no one is forcing you to come to this school! The majority love it and are always working to better this community. Thank you UDA for teaching my children and for making my family part of yours!

Posted August 30, 2011

This school is mediocre at best. My child has been struggling but no one seems to notice and brush off my concerns. The policies of the school seem to swing somewhat randomly, one year having a good bit of homework, the next none. At least when there was homework, I had a notion of how my child was performing. Without homework I have very little idea how my child is performing and the classroom papers are all returned stamped with something cute at the top in the child's favorite color but are uncorrected! Classroom papers are returned uncorrected. I am at a loss how a child is to know what they have done correctly or incorrectly. Learning, at least in my experience, has as much to do with getting the right answer as understanding why an answer is wrong. I am always told that my child is doing well. Unfortunately testing does not support the teacher's assessment; the STAR testing was barely passable. Most of the teachers are young and inexperienced so I wonder if they have the know-how to identify learning styles, attitudes and weaknesses. This may be a good school for some; many people clearly think the education is excellent. I cannot say I find this to be true.

Posted August 16, 2011

I am so very thrilled my daughter attends this Urban Discovery School. First off, the leadership from the principal is phenomenal! She has the best interest of the school as her drive and is managing it all so well. The teachers are all super energetic and original. My daughter is getting a balance of art, music, physical education, as well as a great coverage of the core curriculum. A final reason this school provides a complete education is the amount of field trips they provide the students exploring places in San Diego. Thank you to Ms. Moser and the rest of the staff at Urban Discovery!

Posted June 29, 2011

My children are getting so much more than what they would at a public school. There is PE four times a week. Each academic year the drama teacher, singing teacher and dance teacher (THAT is correct, THREE Performing Arts teachers) put on three performances so each child has the opportunity to act, sing and dance. There is an actual hands-on Visual Arts teacher. You cannot compete with the passion and joy that all these teachers offer. The teachers work together as a unit and really get to know each child. The classroom sizes have been 1/20 for my kids and that has been WONDERFUL. Lastly, my children have enjoyed all the field trips to Balboa Park. It makes all their book studies come to life when they can see, touch and experience their knowledge first hand. This is my second year at UDA and so far - we are REALLY impressed.

Posted June 29, 2011

A horrible place to send your middle schooler if u want them to continue on to high school. This school caters to those who under achieve. If your child is at all advanced, stay away or they wont be when they leave. The teachers here told my daughter half way through the eigth grade that she should not even be thinking about high school. Really? Disrespectful teachers and a Principal to back them up instead of the students.

Posted June 28, 2011

Urban Discovery Academy has alot to learn, and growing to do. They are real quick at bringing the moral of their middle school students down by calling them names, from the principal to the instructors, to the lunch monitors (not to mention in front of the other students) threatening them that they are going to call their future high school principals to tell them how horrible they are. They prepare the middle school students for NOTHING! the 6-8 grade classes at many points throughout the year were learning the exact same things! Once the Star testing cam along the students had no idea what they were doing, they are not equipped to challenge the high acheivers of the class. Once the students reaches the highest point of education they leave it at that without any challenges to achieve anything higher. They talk the talk but they DO NOT walk the walk. I was very disappointed at the past 2 years of the middle school.(one year too many) I am pulling my kids out this school and moving on to another school that can offer them a challenge and give them the education that they deserve.

Posted May 29, 2011

We have been at UDA for 2 years now. Being a military family, its overwhelming task to find a school for your kids. UDA has become family. Not only do our kids get a quality education in reading, math and all subjects, but they model and are taught those valuable traits of respect, compassion and respect. My kids love school so much they are upset when they are ill and must miss school. And being a military family away from our "blood" family, UDA has become our family who have supported through a hard deployment. You dont get that kind of "education" anywhere else.

Posted March 15, 2011

The school is great for elementary school, but the middle school program need work. My child did not get noticed by the teacher as much as other schools he has been to. I believe the physical education need some work to. They are very strict about there uniform code but they made him run in his slacks and collard shirt. They also did not stretch before running the mile which kid of bothered me. When my son came there a later in the schoolyear as a seventh grader and the teacher didnt even give him any textbooks and didnt teach him how to organize his binder even though he told him he would help him, he was very disapointed and thought his teacher always overlooked him. When we left the school in the middle of the year he gave my son the best grade in every subject even though he wasnt earning those grades. When sudents would turn in homework or finish a test he would keep it and never give it back. I didnt believe my son at first until he told me that he keeps the work. They use very easy websites for learning which my son has already learned in second grade. Please if there is any other middle school than that one then send your child there. He or she would learn more.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

n/a
General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students70%

Not economically disadvantaged82%
Students with no reported disability78%
Fluent-English proficient and English only76%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 21%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Yoga club

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Lori Korovec
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (619) 688-9796

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Project-based
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Arts (all)
  • Performing arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Submit your application by

February 27, 2015

150
days left!

Apply now

What are your chances?

2 out of 10students were accepted for the 2014-2015 school year.

Students accepted for the 2014-2015 school year