Posted May 21, 2015
UDA is a great school for special education students. They will bend over backwards to provide services to the disabled (with independent education plans) or students with perceived disabilities. If your child is not in need of special ed services or may be gifted and talented, select another school. The school has a new director this year and she is a first time director who has teachers teaching students without a preliminary multi subject credential. Parents are very limited by the school administration as to obtaining information about how the common core is being taught to the students as a result of significant power and control issues with the board of Trustees President and Director. As a result, communication to parents is limited and if there are parent concerns the school refuses to respond to them in writing. That says it all in my opinion.

Posted January 28, 2015
It's been great getting to know the staff, parents, and of course students at UDA this year. At this school we finally feel like we're part of a strong and diversified community that cares for the arts just as much as they care for the sciences. I'm glad my children will be receiving a well rounded education.

Posted October 17, 2014
My child still attends here ONLY because of the friends developed over the years and am very much looking forward to this year being over. After graduation thank goodness we will no longer have to put up with the lies, deception and bullying from administration and mainly Board of Directors. I really hope for the families that will continue on after this year things get better. For any new parents proceed with caution.Try not to be blinded or fooled by all the pretty colors to come. There are plenty of negative reviews on this school for a reason just scroll thru.

Posted October 13, 2014
The facts: -High Test Scores -High Quality/Caliber Teachers -Fiscally Sound, Well Managed -Very Strong, Solid New Director -Really Happy, Dedicated Parent Group -394 Happy, Focused, Students -Now State-of-the-art Brand New School Facility for 2015 -Current Site has fantastic grounds, plenty of PE and recess playground space, large classrooms, charming outdoor lunch area I truly believe that the few negative comments posted about this school below are in fact representative of a few people who are choosing to use this forum as a way to air their own agenda, which has little or nothing to do with the quality of the education being delivered and the way the school operates. For anyone using this site to seriously evaluate the school, just come and see it in action, see the 99.999% of happy engaged parents onsite volunteering, see for yourself.

Posted October 02, 2014
i can not believe my daughter came home today talking about she has to use a porter potty for a bathroom. This school is horrible. Why. Really. What is going on. They claim it it wonderful but why does my middle school child have to use such bad bathrooms. The board needs to get it together. I want to believe in this school but when my daughter comes home and says she almost threw up because of the unsanitary conditions it is not good. Im taking her out of this school ASAP!

Urban Discovery Academy Charter School 3

Posted September 17, 2014
Well, we're off to a new year at UDA. Let me lay out the facts. The school currently provides a very good educational opportunity in an inviting and accepting community for your children. Actually it is quite exceptional in the latter regard and you would be hard pressed to find a better educational/experiential/social environment for your kids in a school. The new Director is very capable and motivated, both in expertise and attitude, based on my many interactions with her and I expect her to take off and excel from where the last one left off. That may be enough for you. However, you can't ignore the state of the parent community today. There are distinct groups of parents, some critical, some supportive, and many that are just either not interested or motivated to worry about those interactions. Setting aside anyone being right or wrong, it is simply a part of the community at this point that is a reality. Whether it matters to you or not is a matter of your interests. But we shall see how the Board chooses to proceed in creating a place where all parents can feel comfortable and secure contributing.

Posted August 29, 2014
Home is where the heart is....that's my feeling about UDA. Yes, we recently moved to a less than perfect site and yes, it's not known how long we will realistically stay there. But neither a physical building nor location make a school; it's what is inside that counts. And inside, UDA has fabulous, caring teachers and an enrichment program that can't be found at other public schools. I'll be the first to admit that not everything about UDA is 100% perfect, 100% of the time. But I feel like if we parents can start from a place of appreciation for everything UDA DOES provide our children, we can more effectively promote positive change. UDA is more than a building. It's a community of educators, families and friends.....all who are committed to our children. Moreover, it's a community in which I feel very lucky and grateful to be a part.

Posted June 24, 2014
UDA is on the move. Yes, changes are taking place! Some include: A temporary location, half days every Wednesday & a permanent new school in East Village (coming Fall 2015--excited!!) I feel that the changes are all intended to benefit and improve our students, teachers and community. I encourage all parents to get onboard, stay informed, volunteer, and be kind to one another. It's what makes our school awesome. My OPINION is that any negative comment regarding UDA may come from a person who does not receive change well. I choose to trust that the educators, staff, board members, etc have our children's best interests in mind. They have not let me down the past 3 years, in the midst of change. It is a part of life and I am using this opportunity to teach my child that. I am thankful to the dedicated and creative teachers who are the heart of UDA as well as understanding parents who stand by our wonderful school community. I am proud to be a UDA parent and thankful every day that my kiddo loves to go to school and gets all the wonderful benefits of being in a smaller charter school.

Posted June 12, 2014
I am a parent of a student at UDA and was very pleased with the school for the past 4 years but was very disappointed this year with the fact that there was an intent and already a work in progress back in July 2013 to move the school site to a "temporary" location to an area that is not as desirable as the current location. I as many parents would of liked the opportunity if the information was disclosed back in July and not at the end of the school year (July-2014) to either decide to re-enroll or look for another school, at this time any and all enrollments in any charter schools are closed and now we have no other choice but to follow UDA. My only advice to other parents who are thinking of enrolling in this school is to try and get your facts but it is very difficult to get accurate and timely information on major decisions that ultimately affect the education of the children. I will definitely look for a new school for my child as soon as any enrollments become available. I believe that the information was not disclosed early on purposely so UDA would not loose any enrollment and be guaranteed the temporary location by the district just be aware out of a 10 I give it a 2.

Posted May 19, 2014
My daughter went to this school for 2 years. It was a horrible system the teachers are very racists and the principle sucks at doing her job she needs to not have middle school in there because the kids don't have a bell for when its time to come out nor they room to walk and get to there classes. I do not refer that school to any one my kid had problems with all the girls in the class bulling her because she was mixed it was just a baaad school!!!!

Urban Discovery Academy Charter School
730 45th Street, San Diego, CA  92103
Last modified Urban Discovery Academy Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Urban Discovery Academy Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 71 reviews. Top