Urban Discovery Academy Charter School 3

Posted September 17, 2014
Well, we're off to a new year at UDA. Let me lay out the facts. The school currently provides a very good educational opportunity in an inviting and accepting community for your children. Actually it is quite exceptional in the latter regard and you would be hard pressed to find a better educational/experiential/social environment for your kids in a school. The new Director is very capable and motivated, both in expertise and attitude, based on my many interactions with her and I expect her to take off and excel from where the last one left off. That may be enough for you. However, you can't ignore the state of the parent community today. There are distinct groups of parents, some critical, some supportive, and many that are just either not interested or motivated to worry about those interactions. Setting aside anyone being right or wrong, it is simply a part of the community at this point that is a reality. Whether it matters to you or not is a matter of your interests. But we shall see how the Board chooses to proceed in creating a place where all parents can feel comfortable and secure contributing.

Urban Discovery Academy Charter School 1

Posted August 30, 2014
Overall not as bad as I expected. It was nice to see familiar faces at back to school night. Although the teachers are still great and admin is ok. I am getting fed up of being lied to about where this school is headed. Why cant they just be honest with us so we can make an informed decision.

Posted August 29, 2014
Home is where the heart is....that's my feeling about UDA. Yes, we recently moved to a less than perfect site and yes, it's not known how long we will realistically stay there. But neither a physical building nor location make a school; it's what is inside that counts. And inside, UDA has fabulous, caring teachers and an enrichment program that can't be found at other public schools. I'll be the first to admit that not everything about UDA is 100% perfect, 100% of the time. But I feel like if we parents can start from a place of appreciation for everything UDA DOES provide our children, we can more effectively promote positive change. UDA is more than a building. It's a community of educators, families and friends.....all who are committed to our children. Moreover, it's a community in which I feel very lucky and grateful to be a part.

Posted August 25, 2014
So excited for the school year to begin next week! So many great additions to our already successful school program. Mandatory back-to-school event on Thursday evening to learn about all the new and exciting programs our talented team of educators have crafted for the students. Students first!

Posted June 24, 2014
UDA is on the move. Yes, changes are taking place! Some include: A temporary location, half days every Wednesday & a permanent new school in East Village (coming Fall 2015--excited!!) I feel that the changes are all intended to benefit and improve our students, teachers and community. I encourage all parents to get onboard, stay informed, volunteer, and be kind to one another. It's what makes our school awesome. My OPINION is that any negative comment regarding UDA may come from a person who does not receive change well. I choose to trust that the educators, staff, board members, etc have our children's best interests in mind. They have not let me down the past 3 years, in the midst of change. It is a part of life and I am using this opportunity to teach my child that. I am thankful to the dedicated and creative teachers who are the heart of UDA as well as understanding parents who stand by our wonderful school community. I am proud to be a UDA parent and thankful every day that my kiddo loves to go to school and gets all the wonderful benefits of being in a smaller charter school.

Urban Discovery Academy Charter School 1

Posted June 12, 2014
I am a parent of a student at UDA and was very pleased with the school for the past 4 years but was very disappointed this year with the fact that there was an intent and already a work in progress back in July 2013 to move the school site to a "temporary" location to an area that is not as desirable as the current location. I as many parents would of liked the opportunity if the information was disclosed back in July and not at the end of the school year (July-2014) to either decide to re-enroll or look for another school, at this time any and all enrollments in any charter schools are closed and now we have no other choice but to follow UDA. My only advice to other parents who are thinking of enrolling in this school is to try and get your facts but it is very difficult to get accurate and timely information on major decisions that ultimately affect the education of the children. I will definitely look for a new school for my child as soon as any enrollments become available. I believe that the information was not disclosed early on purposely so UDA would not loose any enrollment and be guaranteed the temporary location by the district just be aware out of a 10 I give it a 2.

Posted May 15, 2014
I am actually a student at UDA, in middle school. Although I have no idea what really went on last summer, I can honestly say I am proud to be a member of this society. The changes that have been made were for the best and am very excited about the model of the new school. When I went to a public school my grades actually dropped and from being a perfect A student. I would get 60%s on my tests, and was not learning as much as I was in the years before at UDA. On my return, I brought up my grades and am actually learning things not only due to the fact that we have wonderful and understanding science and math teachers, but also now, that there are stable and excellent history and english teachers. Thank you UDA for making my day full of projects and fun learning experiences, I will always be proud to attend this school now and the further year I have left.

Posted May 08, 2014
My kid and I love UDA! It is a great school with fantastic teachers and wonderful staff. The school offers art, performing art, science, physical education..... I only wish they could offer music class and a foreign language besides Spanish. I am extremely lucky to have found my kid a wonderful school!

Posted May 07, 2014
This school is truly awesome. Not so small that it's under funded, yet not so big that a child gets lost. I am a single full time working father with a little girl. I need to depend and trust that my Childs school is academically and personally looking out for my girl. UDA gives me that and then some. The performing arts are absolutely awesome and the teaching style very unique and modern. I can't say enough to praise this school only that UDA is preparing my girl for thr modern world!

Urban Discovery Academy Charter School 3

Posted March 24, 2014
Academically this school seems great. We're new this year but the kids seem to be happy and thriving. I wanted a small school and a strong sense of community like our previous school. It is a small school but unless you're "in" the community you're definitely an outsider and made to feel incredibly unwelcome. The teachers and staff are wonderful and have been great and incredibly approachable. The parents on the other hand are not friendly or approachable at all. Forget welcoming small talk, they don't even smile at new parents. My husband and I have both tried making friends and had no luck at all. It's too bad too because we have a lot to offer and are more than willing to help both in volunteering and financially but after this first six months we certainly won't be volunteering or donating. At least the kids are happy.

Urban Discovery Academy Charter School
2850 Sixth Ave., San Diego, CA  92103
Last modified Urban Discovery Academy Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Urban Discovery Academy Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 125 reviews.