Innovations Academy

Charter | K-8

Living in San Diego

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $525,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,070.

Posted June 23, 2014

I.A. gets better and better every year! The philosophy is in line with mine: Raising intelligent, conscience and confident children! Great communication with the parents. Always looking to improve. There is room for improvement and I.A. welcomes your opinion. To be clear, "no homework" policy is really, "no MINDLESS homework." You as the parent can and may want to establish homework ritual for your child. We do. But, NO STRESS!

Posted June 14, 2014

We just love this school and wish we had found it sooner! My son with ADHD and sensory processing disorder,struggled with social emotional, which effected his academics and confidence in his traditional school. The social emotional curriculum, hands-on project work and minimal homework have helped him love school and excel at math, writing and speaking. He now wants to do some math and journal writing over the summer without being asked!!!! This school makes every kid feel respected and valued and gives them confidence and motivation that makes them know they can do anything!

Posted June 11, 2014

Don't do it people! It's seems all great at first. Listen to every bad review on here. They do not prepare your child for anything, children are unsupervised, then when things get out of hand they blame the kids... The Director is very hard to deal with, she will always side with the teachers..after a few weeks there, parents will figure out what really happens there...it's disturbing.. Trust me!

Posted May 31, 2014

We are completing our first year at Innovations Academy, and we LOVE it!! Our bias is former teacher in Poway District, and member of a small specialty Command in the US Navy. My reservations in the beginning were if my son, who hated school, would thrive in such and independant, structure. He develoed an amazing unique personality, and confidence soared. Our daughter succeeds in any environment, so naturally she thrived as well. Parent involvement is surprisingly low, especially in financial donations, however, it could contribute to the happiness of the IA Families b/c the school does not pressure anyone about donations. Finally, use discernment in reading negative reviews, you may pick up on lack of communication with the school and their children. The school, and their staff, will accommodate a private meeting to address your concerns with little Johnny or Sally.

Posted May 31, 2014

We love the environment and community focus here. My 6 year old feels safe and accepted, which makes for a great environment for him to learn and grow in. The no unecessary homework policy allows for family learning time, instead of having to stress and fight about homework during our family time. We are pretty new at the school, but already love it and are looking forward to next year!

Posted May 31, 2014

We are so happy with Innovations Academy! This will be our third year with the school...our children will be going into 4th and 2nd. The school seems to improve more and more each year! My children are being challenged academically while developing wonderful social skills and growing emotionally. The fabulous part is they enjoy school...they are developing a love of learning which will carry them through life. They do not have a no homework policy (as some have previously stated), it is a no "meaningless" homework policy. My children have come home with work from time if something wasn't completed for the week, a project needed additional work or home preparation or if a subject needed reinforcement. The difference is there are no daily worksheets that used to cause countless tears and struggle. One of the things I love the most about the school are the enrichment opportunities...art, media arts, gardening, music, PE... Yes, schools have them, but not to the level we are experiencing at IA. Those things are so valuable and important and they are disappearing from our public schools. This amazing school is something you have to witness first hand to fully appreciate.

Posted May 31, 2014

I am so glad that we discovered IA. We had a very disappointing experience at the neighborhood public school where my son was stressed out beyond belief trying to keep up with the academic pressure placed on him there. It really affected his self confidence. We have been at IA for two years now and my son has blossomed both socially and academically. The teachers and staff here really seem to care about the students and I appreciate that they are tolerant and respectful that kids learn in different ways and at different levels. My son has since been found to have a learning disability, and the staff at IA have been very helpful in accommodating him in the classroom and recommending resources to help him learn. In addition, I appreciate that the students at IA are encouraged to express themselves creatively and also to think critically. I feel that in addition to learning the core academic subjects, they also learn important life skills, like how to work effectively in peer groups, how to give and receive feedback, and how to speak publicly. These are gifts we can give our children at a young age that will help them succeed in the future. Overall, a great school!

Posted May 30, 2014

Honestly, half the staff here is incompetent (Just entered high school) and it was honestly was not what i needed. The children are always alone in the class rooms while the teachers wander off (whether they say so or not). The no homework thing sounds well enough at first, but later on your children will come to expect that, what happens in high school? In college when their cramming for an exam all night? The fact is if i could take back from going there i would, I would have a much better time here in the real world if so....

Posted May 28, 2014

My daughter will be attending Kinder this fall and has not yet (and I haven't decided) attended Innovation Academy, my only experience w/ the school is the Info Meeting parents are required to attend in order to submit an application. I live in the Poway school district however was looking for a school that was 'Project Based/Inquiry Based" learning, unfortunately the Poway district does not have. I was excited there was a Charter school nearby that employs this teaching method. I attended the info meeting and left not knowing whether or not it was the right environment for my child. The school director/founder facilitates the meeting and she was very off-putting. The impression I walked away with, and what the director actually said, was that if your teaching philosophy does not align with hers, than this is not the school for you. Keep in mind that the director was a stay a home mom who decided to open her own school. Trying not to judge her, but did not see any sort of real education or child development background that she mentioned about herself. The teachers at the meeting did not impress me when answering questions from parents.

Posted April 24, 2014

I know that other parents (including some friends of mine) have had problems with the staff at Innovations Academy, but I never have, and my children are flourishing there. If you are thinking about your children attending this school, you should go there and check it out for yourself. Have your children shadow for a day, talk to the teachers and other staff members. As with all schools, communication is key! I have found that by talking to the teachers directly about my goals and expectations for my children's education, and being open to receiving their help, I have seen huge positive results over the course of the school year. This type of school is not a good fit for many families, but if you are looking for some alternative to conventional classroom education, this school is worth checking out.

Posted April 23, 2014

Not what I would consider a good experience. The teacher our child had was very new age, was passive aggressive, and there was a general lack of respect and maturity. Also a lack of structure, discipline, and quality. Teachers seem to have a free reign without boundaries. We discovered this after the teacher called a student a very inappropriate name, slanted his teaching toward his own beliefs, and shared private information from parent administrator meetings with the class on multiple occasions. Administrator will eventually back the teachers, even when serious issues are backed by multiple parents. I do not recommend sending your child to this school.

Posted December 13, 2013

I have been to this school since I was in 3rd grade it is so amazing there's no homework and you get to learn about the future and math and all that without homework and all that stress dont listen to all thoses silly reviews about not going to this school because you improve ever single day

Posted October 21, 2013

This is our first year at IA. The reason our son is going to this school is because we we didnt feel that our public middle school was right for him so we heard about this school and decided to check it out. So far my son and us love the school. Its great for him since he is more of a hands on learner and they have a no homework policy which we all love since we can spend that after school time together as a family without the stress of homework. So far so good.

Posted October 8, 2013

If the school year ended today it would be considered a great year for my two children. We needed an alternative way of teaching and they are enjoying school for the first time. Getting up for school and telling me to hurry up. I love the attitude change. They have other needs that are being addressed as well. So far I am pleased with this school. Also, they have let me be involved as a parent. I really like that they are addressing the children's problem solving skills, thinking for themselves, how to speak up in there education-social and personal needs. So many parents are so controlling there kids are suffering. There is self growth and leadership qualities encouraged daily. I'm excited for this year.

Posted February 10, 2013

I am a student of innovations and i strongly recommend that you do not send your child here if you are not new age the staff is very unprofessional about complaints and harass you until you give up.

Posted October 22, 2012

My daughter goes to Innovations and she and we love it!!!! She was at Marshall Middle which is an excellent school, but with the budget cuts has gone downhill tremendously. For example, last year her math teacher was literally incompetent. We begged to have her moved out of the class, as did many other parents. The administration knew of this teacher but since he had seniority, he stayed and the new good teachers received pink slips...Way to go teacher's union, you could care less about educating our kids it seems. We spent a fortune on math tutoring and her brother who is a math major at a UC school had to help as did we.... ultimately in spite of the school she did ok in that class. But at IA so far all is going great and the one on one teaching seems to fit our daughter much much better.. They are dedicated to educating your children.

Posted June 22, 2012

My 2 sons go to Innovations Academy Charter School in San Diego, CA. I can't begin to tell you how positively affected they have been by their experience at this charter school. The whole philosophy of the school is just what they need to realize their full potential as learners. My younger son tested 99% on the GATE (Gifted and Talented Education) test but never got more than B's and C's in his school work. He always just skated through under the radar of his teachers and did just what was necessary. At Innovations Academy the teachers take the time to focus on how every student learns. We took our boys out of public school and moved them to a private school with a traditional approach to learning. They did 3-4 hours of homework nightly, took tests, learned how to take notes in class. They were both very stressed out and anxious during that year. When Innovations Academy opened in our neighborhood my husband and I decided to try it out. Now both of my sons are excited about what they are learning in school,can't wait to go to school every day, and definitely less stressed about "grades".

Posted May 7, 2012

This is a review for the Home Learning Community at the school. Up until this last academic year, my daughter was going to a highly-rated public school where she was miserable. Now that she goes to IA, she is so much more happier. It is a lot more balanced, and the school cares more about the kids than how they perform on the STAR tests (to tell the truth, they don't care at all how they perform on this test). It is so refreshing from the push, push, push of the academically-minded public schools.

Posted February 18, 2012

I have a late birthday kindergarten student at Innovations. I am thrilled with the mass opportunities the school is offering my child. I am credentialed and know the standards well. My child is exceeding all of them and comes home creating her own homework. My child loves to graph words (by number of letters), show off reading and writing skills learned in class. Comes home telling me all kinds of interesting facts and interests developed through her project based learning days. I can't praise the program enough for offering such a broad based learning forum. As an educator and parent, it pains me to see all the cuts to excellent arts, science, and multicultural education. I.A. delivers these critical programs and intertwines them into core curriculum. 5 Stars from me!

Posted November 15, 2011

I know how wonderful IA seems at first. If your child has special needs, please beware. There is initial elation when you experience the no-homework policy. You will feel that your child and his/her gifts are finally being recognized. As a parent whose child's needs were egregiously ignored by IA staff, I urge you to pay close attention to the work your child is (or is not) doing, and to what is actually occurring in the classroom. Though we didn't move to the new site, my view is not sour grapes. The move upset me because I feared -- 100% inaccurately -- that my child could not perform elsewhere. I'd already begun to realize that IA's freeform non-curricula and classroom chaos were not serving my child. We are now at a rigorous small charter. Unlike at IA, my child has close attention, daily assessments (as do all students), and the nurturing and expert help of an experienced Resource Specialist. She is not slipping between the cracks. Unlike at IA, staff is accountable, her goals are being monitored, she feels confident and challenged. Her first report card's GPA was a 3.2. This, after being told publicly at IA that she was "not the smartest girl in the class."

This school's

(2012)

2 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students39%

Non-economically disadvantaged33%
Students with no reported disability48%
Parent education - college graduate47%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students39%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 7%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Gardening teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Christine Kuglen

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Computer lab
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom