Public charter
San Diego, CA
Students enrolled: 1,060

Posted September 25, 2014
I have been teaching here as a Special Education Teacher for 5 years. I do not understand the poor reviews, because this is a great school. The school is safe, the students are kind-hearted, and the staff will work endless hours to ensure that every child succeeds. Since GPA has been around, gang activity in the community has declined. GPA has graduated 100% of our Seniors, so far. We promote college and assist students in filling out applications and finding scholarships. We are Charter and do not operate under a Union. So unlike district schools, are money is well managed and teachers and students are taken care of. The school is old. It was built a long time ago. But it is also clean an safe. Gradually the school is being updated, but it is a process. I have always felt secure in my job and the only reason a teacher would not feel secure is if that teacher isn't performing well. Unions do provide job security, but if you do your job well, you don't need a Union's protection. GPA is great. I love working here!

Gompers Preparatory Academy 4

Posted April 27, 2014
I am surprised by some remarks in other review. I have been here for years. The passing periods are very safe and supervised. They work yearly on giving students what they need to be college bound and career ready despite the cuts over the past years in public education. It is an inner city urban school with all teachers and staff working hard to put students first give all of them the best education possible. There is no union but unions don't always put students first, they all after all paid through the teachers to fit for the teachers. If you are truly trying to educate children without problems from big school districts opposing restrictions on you keep you from doing what you feel is correct for students education, no unions are not a problem. And it is a very supportive environment for both students and new teachers. The administration goes above and beyond to help out any new teacher. And there are many veteran teachers for assistance. There are many students this year getting into many different 4 year colleges such as UC Berkley, UCSB, UCSD. And with all the staff and teachers working to improve the education to the students in SE San Diego,it will only improve.

Gompers Preparatory Academy 2

Posted March 30, 2014
I had went here for 2 years and I disliked it, they keep students together for "safety. There is no security whatsoever and they have the teachers look out for them. Although the teachers are helpful but the staff won't let the students back onto campus even if it's a valid reason why they went on campus just to get help from teachers. Gompers is a small school for grades 6-12. It makes the passing periods dangerous and very unsafe with that many students passing at once. The rules are very strict on students with causes students to misbehave and disobey the rules.

Posted May 02, 2013
My school is Gompers preparatory academy and I am deeply happy of being in this school, where it is "serious, fun, but serious"

Posted April 22, 2013
I am a parent with two students here at Gompers Preparatory, and I am very pleased with this school. What I appreciate most is the safe, family atmosphere the school works hard to convey through its curriculum, activities and parent involvement. I particularly appreciate the fact that the school has a no excuses policy. We are all accountable for our children's education; parents, teachers, and especially the kids. And as a community member, it is important to me to have teachers and staff members that care for the kids from our area. Gompers offers that, along with challenging and interesting classes. The Director knows the kids, and routinely asks them about what they've learned. The kids have fun there. My son is graduating this year, and he has had great support from his teachers, and counselors. I could not be happier that I sent my kids to this school. It has allowed them to grow and mature without being misjudged.

Posted September 21, 2012
I am currently a student at Gompers Preparatory Academy and can say with absolutely NO doubt that this is the BEST school in San Diego! I have been here since sixth grade and i am now in eighth grade so therefore I've been here a total of 3 years now. All I can say is that without Director we would not have scored OVER 88% in our CST's so if ANYONE says our school is how it was 7 years ago, all i have to say is your WRONG!!!!!

Gompers Preparatory Academy 1

Posted January 30, 2012
This is truly a span school. The students have been lumped together in some classes from 6-12. The facilities are so out dated,because they spend all of their money on out of the classroom staff. The campus set up is dangerous with uncontrolled passing periods. They have new teachers all the time, because so many of them leave or are let go. Little to no job security(no union representation). They have outlandish demands and little support to make it happen. If you are desperate for a paycheck teach here if you have any other options I would take them.

Posted September 28, 2011
This is the best school that iv'e been to, i have been here since 7th grade and i am going to graduate on June 23 on 2012. The director and teachers are fantastic, we are all a family.

Gompers Preparatory Academy
1005 47th Street, San Diego, CA  92102
Last modified Gompers Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gompers Preparatory Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top