Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

It’s a small school with a strong focus on the fundamentals of writing, reading and mathematics PLUS science and technology (STEAM program). I like the fact that SDGVA has chosen to have the students wear uniforms. I feel that it helps to create a sense of “sameness of group” rather than a focus on being separate, different and individual when dressing distinctly. My belief is when students “put on the uniform” it puts them in the mental mindset of being a student, rather than the converse: street /casual clothes put one in the mindset of, well, being casual. Tae Kwon Do martial arts class is available to all students once a week. Not only good exercise, but also teaches such attributes as: discipline, respect, coordination and self-defense, to name a few. AM/PM programs are run by school staff and teachers. Students can receive assistance with their homework generally from their own class teacher! As well as getting additional technology practice and study from the schools IT director. I also love the technology-centered communication methods they use. It makes contacting, or being contacted by them, nearly instant. Communicating to the main office or the teachers is a snap. The CEO/Provost Ms. Kane is very open and friendly, she is always around students in the morning and afternoon, knows all students by name and parent/guardian’s face by 2nd week. They are very student centered and seem to make their decisions with the student’s best interest and safety in mind first. Teachers have very strong mind-set in focusing on student’s success in both academically and mentally. Even though it has been only a couple of months, but I see that my child is already showing academic improvement in her reading, writing and mathematics skills. In addition, I can also tell that she is gaining confidence as well, and am pleased that she is happy, thriving and safe there. I cannot say enough good things about this school. There is no chance to pull my child out of this school.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

deal bullying before it occurs or gets worse

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Develops character: Strongly agree

). They are very student centered and seem to make their decisions with the student’s best interest and safety in mind first.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

SDGVA Teachers are very well-organized and prepared.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Students get homework assistance from class teacher.

UPDATE (2016): My review below (unedited) is absolutely how I felt about SDGVA 2 years ago. But something has changed at the school. The board is amateur and unprofessional. They are making decisions that affect the children and the staff and I do not trust that board with my children's welfare. Several teachers and administrators have left. I believe in the educational paradigm and I truly hope that the school can get through this and thrive. But right now, I am sad to say that it is no longer the right place for my family. PREVIOUS REVIEW (2014): Outstanding School with Amazing Teachers! My child started at SDGVA in kindergarten and is now in 2nd grade. We researched countless schools and toured at least 8 before deciding on SDGVA - we absolutely made the right choice. This is a small school with small class sizes, where the teachers all know the kids and the students get individualized attention. The curriculum and pedagogy is fairly traditional, but this approach produces considerate, respectful students who are good citizens and resilient lifelong learners. The school focus is on writing, with a STEM emphasis in the upper grades. They also have Tae Kwan Do as a key part of their curriculum. The school is quickly becoming recognized as successful leader among San Diego charter schools and as an integral part of the Normal Heights community. The teachers and staff are always available to discuss issues and give feedback on my child's progress. They continually work with us to find the best educational approach for our child - and he is thriving as a result! As a parent, I can't imagine a better fit for my child or our family. We LOVE SDGVA!

My child was a mediocre student prior to enrolling at SDGVA, She has become a confident, happy student, she now LOVES MATH! I know that this would have never happened at at our big public neighborhood school. Thanks to the very dedicated professionals at SDGVA, who create a safe, stimulating environment.

Every child should be so lucky as to have the opportunity to attend a school such as San Diego Global Vision Academy. And any parent or student that I've spoken to from SDGVA is as crazy in love with it as my child and I are. Not only do the teachers do an exceptional job of teaching our children, they also nurture their students in every possible way. And this includes the entire staff. The school environment is very structured, yet very loving and accommodating. They address every student as an individual and attend to their specific needs. The school is a very diverse group, yet they all come together like a family. Every child thrives there. My son started in fourth grade, the year the school opened. He is my fourth child, and until then all my children had attended parochial schools, which we have always been happy with. It was sort of a fluke how it came to be that he gave this school a try that year, but he's never looked back. He loves the teachers, the staff, students, his studies. He is engaged in school in every respect. SDGVA should be the model upon which all schools are based. My heart is filled with gratitude for all this school has offered my son.

Last modified San Diego Global Vision Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.