9-12 & Ungraded|Public charter

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Coleman Tech Charter High School 5

Posted August 17, 2016
This will be my son's third year at Coleman (SET High School). Each year has been better than the last. There is so much innovation happening at this school that I feel so lucky to have found it for my son. He is VERY into computers, technology and gaming and not so much into sports or social media. He did not want to go to a large school and our options were limited. Coleman was a godsend. He loves the smaller classes, the close relationships with the teachers and administrators. The staff truly knows each kid by name and there is a very accepting and safe environment that lets kids express themselves without fears of being singled out or bullied. He even convinced 2 of his friends from a large high school to enroll this year. The other nice thing about the school is the relationships they have built with local tech companies. This year they spent an entire day at Northrup Gruman and this year will be competing in a "cyber patriot" program sponsored by NG to learn about cyber security. Dr. McCurdy, the new principal, is implementing, many new and exciting programs to rebrand the school as the first Entrepreneurial high school for Technology. He is truly dedicated to these kids and the school. He has been great at informing and including the parents on all of these exciting changes. There are regular meetings with the parents (meetings with McCurdy) where parents are encouraged to share ideas and concerns. He is very accessible to the kids and the parents. I am so excited for the coming year and all of the great opportunities that await for my son!!!

Coleman Tech Charter High School 4

Posted June 10, 2016
This was our son's first year as a freshman. After looking at many HS options we chose Coleman based on the orientation we attended and the fact that it is a smaller school and class size. Initially we were neutral on how the experience was going. Our child seemed to like it and the teachers and staff were very approachable. Early in the school year we were informed Dr. Wahab the principal was leaving and Dr. Curdy was her replacement. This action left us greatly concerned about "what is going on"? We were concerned that we had made a mistake in our choice for HS. We decided to ride it out after Dr. McCurdy called a parent meeting to explain their plan moving forward. Based on previous reviews it appeared the school was a little dysfunctional under Dr. Wahab. We are glad we stuck it out because there seems to be a much more positive direction and guidance under Dr. McCurdy and adding Mr. McClendon to the staff a sense of security. Our son is doing well and really likes the school. We gave him the option to move to another HS but elected to stay at Coleman. He has plenty of homework and projects so it is not a cake walk, but he is showing greater interest in academics than his prior school. Moving forward we think that Coleman was and is the right choice for us. Our son is very bright, smart, and very opinionated(not bragging) and would get lost in a larger school system. This is just right for him.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted June 10, 2016
Dr. McCurdy for stepping up during the transition and immediately making staff changes and hiring for the future.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted June 10, 2016
Only a feeling when attending open house, school exhibits, parent teacher meetings and talks with McCurdy.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted June 10, 2016
As a parent we are not involved with the day to day or actions of other students so can not fairly comment.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted February 15, 2016
Ms. Bautista for her interesting lessons and great teaching style. Ms. Lowenstein then for her extravagant amounts of assignments, and her passion for the subject.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted February 15, 2016
If you cannot figure out a problem either talk your way out of it, or act as if it does not exist, it will go away eventually.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted February 15, 2016
I have more respect for the students that held the school together than the teachers who claimed to.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted February 15, 2016
If a person who bullies you goes to a school administrator about bullying you before you tell on them you are the one punished. This is the type of system that establishes a sense of chicanery and unfairness.

Coleman Tech Charter High School 1

Posted February 15, 2016
I went to this school freshmen to senior year, the only good teachers that I had were Ms. Lowenstein and Ms. Bautista. Ms. Bautista left the school. After leaving Coleman Tech I found that I was completely unprepared for university. When I was going there I fraught tooth and nail against anyone who insulted the school or it's staff. Now, after graduating and reviewing how my high school experience was, I found that even though it was fun to go there, I was woefully unprepared for university. My time there in review was that, this place was fun when it should have been college prepping, it was easy when it should have been rigorous. I was so unprepared for college that I had a professor tell me that I must have lied and cheated to get excepted into their college. In conclusion, I found that grades are relative, your grades may look good here, but in reality you are failing in every regard. Go here if you want to build false sense of confidence in your abilities, abilities that if you got at CTCHS are surely lacking.

3540 Aero Court, San Diego, CA  92123
Last modified Coleman Tech Charter High School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.