San Diego, CA

Carmel Del Mar Elementary School 4

Posted May 25, 2015
My daughter has attended from Kinder to 1st. She will be moving to a new school because our move takes to a different location, but I will compare the next school closely to CDM. My daughter has loved it, as have my wife and I. I really enjoy the community of the students and parents. This has been a very good experience and I am sad to be leaving. We wish CDM well.

Carmel Del Mar Elementary School 3

Posted August 31, 2014
Omg. I just heard about this person who is upset about the PTA ... Seriously? Talked to some people...We all couldn't believe it...so checked their 'logic' --- not seeing what they are talking about? Who has time to do stuff like this? You have such a problem with the people who spend time making a good public school better ... Then tell your kid not to use any of the stuff they buy or go evensts. No place is 100 % great, get over it. Kids are at this school are lucky.

Posted August 30, 2014
There are great teachers but also lots of not qualified ones. I recently found a fascinating fact about the PTA board members. If you look at the list of them, and locate their children, you will find for continuous years, especially 2012 - 1st grade, 2013- 2nd grade, now 2014- 3rd grade, kids of PTA board members always in one classroom:). Does that sounds good to you?

Carmel Del Mar Elementary School 4

Posted July 17, 2014
Great school in general going through some challenging times. A vocal and visceral minority of parents made things very difficult for past principal - unfortunately many of those parents remain at the school.

Carmel Del Mar Elementary School 3

Posted December 16, 2013
It's funny that recent comments think the school went downhill after Jones left - are you kidding me?? Do you value academics at all? Jones gave in to every teacher demand and did absolutely nothing for education - that's a big part why we have a lot of weak teachers that still hang on today at the school - no doubt they don't get along but that's because the old blood is angry with the new blood. Sitting around and just putting in time doesn't seem to hack it anymore - far be it for the school's leader to demand performance. As far as being a bully - I have no idea where that comes from - I have never seen anything of the sort. Look there are some great growing pains going on - it'd be great if the teachers that don't want to teach any longer would just retire ... or just quit, either way get out of the way. You are too important to the future of our children - if you're unhappy then please, please, please LEAVE.

Posted November 18, 2013
I have to totally agree with the negative reviews of the principal and staff. The principal is a paper pusher/admin type with no leadership skills at all. The principal frequently behaves like a bully while student bullying goes on unchecked. The teachers are no longer a happy team but just punch in their time and stay as little as possible. Some of the staff is rude. The school has gone downhill since Mr. Jones left. It became very obvious how bad the school is now that our child is at CVMS. There is no comparison. The situation is exacerbated by the PTA and parent politics. This school seems to be straight out of a mean girls movie.

Posted September 28, 2013
It is clear that a district employee is writing some of these reviews. The principal is so incredibly difficult and she often has erratic behavior. I have spoken to numerous teachers who are AFRAID to be honest with the superintendent about her behavior. I know two families that attempted to complain about her and there was retaliation against them. It is a scary thing.

Posted September 26, 2013
I am so proud and happy to say my sons go to Carmel Del Mar. It is a wonderful school with dedicated and professional teachers and staff who genuinely care about the students. Everything is so well organized that I never have to worry about missing any important information that I am supposed to know. Teaching materials are also very comprehensive and well balanced. My sons love telling me everyday what they learn right after school!! I see my sons grow every day intellectually, socially and happily!!

Posted September 10, 2013
Carmel del Mar is an excellent school, both my boys have attended classes there, and each of them got teachers that were very talented, and passionate about their job. We were extremely happy with the core activities, as well the ESC (music, physical education, science, technology) as well as afternoon enrichment classes that were offered.

Posted August 24, 2013
The feeling is that the "principal is very close to the superintendent"? Huh, how does that matter to the teachers? Look the Superintendent, through the popularly elected Board hires the principal (this one was hired under the former Superintendent by the way). The teachers work for the principal. Sounds like a a few angry "old school" teachers that are unwilling to yield to anyone (we can't listen to this principal because she's close to the superintendent, WHAT?!) want to go back to the old ways where the principal merely deals with parents and is dis interested in education. Sorry, thing have changed...for the better. Education is incredibly better today at CDM than it was 5 years ago - it will continue to improve. However, this changing education may not be a place for some teachers...they may have better luck looking elsewhere for jobs....more than likely outside of the District as I'm quite sure no other Principal here would take them.

Carmel Del Mar Elementary School
12345 Carmel Park Drive, San Diego, CA  92130
Last modified Carmel Del Mar Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carmel Del Mar Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top