Posted June 24, 2015
This is the best school in Poway Unified. It is the smallest school. The teachers are fantastic. Mrs. Marks is one of the best teachers I've known. She gets them prepared for Middle School and makes them be responsible for their own learning. Music, PE, Art. Science, Math and Technology are Mrs. Marks' favorites.My son's 5th grade year was the best with Mrs. Marks. My son is autistic and Mrs. Marks was great with him as he has anger and social issues. She was fantastic and patient with him. The school is a caring and warm environment. PTA and Foundation are welcoming and my kid really enjoys going to school and he didn't start off that way. It was a fight every morning. This is a great little school ! Thanks to great teachers, parents, office staff and principal. Mr. Atkins listens and he is always visible during recess, before and after school. He is cool, calm and approachable. Adobe Bluffs is the best!

Adobe Bluffs Elementary School
Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 24, 2015
The teachers care. Mrs. Marks and Mrs.Boyd are the best teachers ever! They care about all students. It's a small school. Everyone treats each other respect. We're a family at AB.

Posted June 11, 2015
Great school. Great and caring teachers. Great office staff. Great PTA and Foundation. A very caring school. Hence the name small school Big Heart!

Posted June 02, 2015
Our child has been going here for two years now. I've categorized my reviews. School grounds: The school has been in existence a while now. It's well-maintained, however, and the school is investing money into new facilities, gardening, and maintaining the current structure. The classrooms appear to be in good shape. Principal: I haven't had much interaction with the principal, but he seems to consistently send emails to parents with updates and reminders. Since I haven't interacted with him as often, I can't vouch for her personality. However, since the teachers appear to be engaged (see below), he must be doing a good job overseeing their work. Teachers/Assignments: Our child's teachers have been EXCELLENT over the past two years. This past year, our child's teacher -- Ms. Garrison -- was responsive, critical, and engaged in our child's growth. Our child has seen significant improvement over the last year because of Ms. Garrison's concerned approach. She maintains HIGH STANDARDS, and genuinely cares about improving every student's reading, writing, and math skills. It's nothing less than what you'd get at a private school. She assigns plenty of work every day, regularly tests the children's growth (on a weekly basis through spelling/math quizzes), and responds to parents concerns through email. I'm profoundly impressed. It's for this reason that we've decided to keep our child at Adobe Bluffs and skip other local schools. Activities/involvement: The schools offers musicals, science/math activities, and the parent involvement (at least this year) has been great. There could definitely be more parent involvement, but so far I don't have many complaints. The school PTA was struggling at one point since kids were leaving this school and going to other area schools (in more affluent areas), but the community here is strong. Overall: I have to admit that I've been skeptical about this school, perhaps because I didn't feel a great vibe at times. But at the end of the day, it's objective results that are important. After my child attended Ms. Garrrison's class, improved dramatically, and is well-prepared to enter her next grade level, I'm convinced that Adobe Bluffs is where she should finish her elementary education. I'm really looking forward to next her and hope she improves even more than she did this year.

Posted December 31, 2014
This is the best little school in the Poway Unified School District. I have all of my kids in this school (all three). My oldest is in 5th Grade, I have another in 4th and my youngest is in Kindergarten. Now that they finally got rid of a couple of teachers that should have retired (or should have NOT been teachers) 20 years ago, the school is amazing! The PTA and Foundation are very welcoming. The staff works together and they really care about ALL the students and achievement. We have some ASD classes, and fully mainstreamed special ed students and ALL the students and staff embrace them. For the past 5 years or so Esther Hilleli, (ASD teacher), spearheads an Ability Awarness Day (Celebration). It is phenomenal! Thursday Sings once a month are so much fun and it helps build up the school/parent community. The teachers care! I would NOT have my kids any other place. I have some friends that AB is not their homeschool but would not bring their kids elsewhere. We love our little school with the BIG HEART!
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 29, 2014
ABES was much better under the leadership of the previous principal. The current principal dismisses serious parent concerns and is at best inept. Although there are some teachers who embrace special needs children, the principal does not and sits silent during IEP's just as a figurehead. There are several outstanding teachers, but several abhorant ones too who are frankly emotionally abusive to some children. I am not the only parent who feels this way. I know 5 families who have pulled their children out of this school to home school them. New leadership and proper oversight of burned out/ inappropriate teachers has been needed for several years now. Good school scores mean nothing if children's self esteem is damaged.

Posted July 22, 2014
There are some truly fantastic teachers at this school. The principal is very involved which is nice. The problem is the parent community. Discrimination runs rampant. If your child is not the right ethnic race, or you don't make enough money to support the foundation or the PTA regularly, or if your kids has any special need whatsoever, it's a tough school to be a part of. The Foundation and the PTA have too much influence over this school.
2 people found this helpful

Adobe Bluffs Elementary School 1

Posted November 12, 2013
The teachers in this school are not that much mature to understand that when they make a mistake and are told by parents, they need to admit that they were not right. It's that simple! Instead they lie to you. My kid does the home works properly, except one time that she didn't finish it while she thought she did. The teacher said she lied to her Instead of being positive and say that possibly the kid didn't listen to her expectation for homework. This school makes me sick. They face with kids as if they are 50 or 60 years old not just an elementary age who still needs guiding in a positive way not condemning them to lying. Talking with the principal regarding that? It's a big joke and wasting your time since he won't take your side no matter what. It becomes even worse if you come from a different culture which means that they discriminate your kid easily at this school. They take you and your child self-steam away instead of providing a healthy environment . Not a nurturing, mentally healthy school at all. Like this incidents has happened many times to others too. The website doesn't let you leave a review without giving star/stars. Otherwise I would give it a zero!

Posted April 26, 2013
The issues I've had here that is taking away two stars from my original review at the beginning of the new year is that aggressive behavior from other children is prevalent. As much as the district talks about the core characteristics, which include "respect" and "kindness", the fact is that many kids have none when it comes to interacting with their peers. It's more than a challenge for an otherwise thoughtful child when constantly exposed to this negative behavior from other students. The worst part, is that the teachers do little. "Yard Duty" have been reported to completely ignore an upset child in favor of chit chatting with another monitor. They also claim they don't see ANY of the issues that have come up on a daily basis. I'm exhausted from trying to deal with the problems that arise on the home side that originate at school. I've had conversations with the school about this to no avail. I tried working with them. The bottom line is that it falls to the parents, most of whom are not teaching their children how to treat others with kindness and respect. Sad. I'm removing my child from school and will be homeschooling beginning this coming year (2013/2014).

Posted June 25, 2010
We were new to Adobe Bluffs last year. Our family is so happy of be a part of this great school.

Adobe Bluffs Elementary School
8707 Adobe Bluffs Drive, San Diego, CA  92129
Last modified Adobe Bluffs Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Adobe Bluffs Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top