Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

All the teachers I had have all been kind. I never really hated anyone or teacher at all. I haven't really seen any physical bullies, or any really terrible ones. Most people are very kind, a few can be a bit jerky. When I look a bit lonely, some people would ask me if I would care to sit with them. Though I feel a bit pitied, it was a kind gesture. I love all my friends, and would hate to not see them anymore. Though, the dress codes are a bit eh. Some rules are just stupid. One that annoys me the most is the 2 people per bench for the square tables. The principle would just tell you to have one friend stand. Even though we could fit 3. It seems a bit jerky to have one person left out and just stand. The dress codes though, you have to be kidding me for the straps. No one is going to be concerned about a simple strap. Someone should really tell people to stop feeling weird about some simple straps. Though most people don't care much for these dress codes. Most just let them slide, and continue on with life with just a simple warning. Though this school isn't really the cleanest, there are plastic bottles everywhere in the bushes. It would be too much to count. I would ask for people to start cleaning, and taking a bit more care into the school. The orchestra doesn't have a proper room, it's placed in the 6th grade hallway, away from the elective hall. The drama room is also away. I would ask for more language classes, there's only Spanish. The library also doesn't allow water? What is this? We can't drink water in the library? Though I guess I can kind of understand, the water may wet the books. There halls are filled with people, it should be a bit more organized. They also uped the price on cafeteria food. The cookies which used to be able to buy 2 for a dollar are now 75 cents for 1 cookie. Then the price for the water costs 25 cents more, which is why I buy it in the pe locker rooms for 1 dollar. They also don't refill the soaps a lot, so I'm stuck scrubbing my hands with just water. The toilet paper is also hard to use, mostly because the thing that holds it is way bigger then the hole for the toilet paper. They also haven't fixed the paper towel dispenser in the girls bathroom next to the library. But even with all these flaws, I still love the school. Even though it's an outdoor school. The teachers

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I don't really know, my teacher would call out and have a talk with those who seemed to be hurting someone.

Supports LD students: Agree

They have special ed for those who need it, like disabilities. The teachers also understand the students effort. Like a PE teacher I had, he understood the limits for his students.

Amount of homework: Agree

Most teachers will give you time to do your homework

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They are all kind, and would try to help you get your grade up

Gather around children and parents as I tell you a story of the injustice that has recently taken place at this school. Personally I had never liked the school; this staff was horrible, most students were rude and excluded other, but i went with it because i knew it was only for 2 years (I came here in 7th grade currently an 8th grader). However today something happened that has pushed me over the top. I have a friend that has been bullied for 3 years now by the same boy who he used to call his best friend. Today I noticed how horrible this boy was being. I then went into the office along with some witnesses to report the problem. As I walked in I was greeted rather rudely and was asked what I was doing there. On a different note, how are students to report things like this if the office staff is soooo rude?!? Now back to the subject. I walked in and we reported our problem along with the kid who was bullied. Me and the other witnesses were told to go to our respective classrooms while the kid who was being bullied and one witness stayed behind. Now I returned home and waited when I received a text from my friend who had been bullied. He explained to me that he had received a 1 week detention while the bully received absolutely NOTHING. How is this supposed to stop bullying?!? If it is doing nothing to stop the students and instead punishing the victims? Now admittedly the victim did try to pick a fight with the bully but quickly calmed down and didn't go through with it. Not to mention the hundreds of verbal and physical fights the bully had picked with him. He had spread rumors, got all of his "popular friends" to hate this boy and beat up on him. I ask you: IS THIS JUSTICE? Not to mention the office staff and regular staff. I am not trying to say that all the staff is bad, in fact i have one teacher in mind that actually has done a whole lot to help but in general it is horrible. The school is not welcoming at all for the first quarter, when i was a new student, not a single student or teacher came up to me to ask me if I wanted to sit with them. Not to mention the dress code problem and profanity issue.

Its the best school I am glad I am gonna finish my 8th grade here

In the 3yrs I ve had a student at BHMS there have been MANY meetings to discuss the dress code (addressing things like "cleavage" and shaming 13 y.o. girls for how "distracting" an exposed bra strap can be), however I have not heard of nor has the school invited me to a meeting to address bullying or language at BHMS. There has been continued and intensifying bullying & the school has not shown significant interest in changing the environment. The boys at the school are simply told to "settle down" when they re seen punching or hitting each other. The teachers and volunteers on campus seem slow and reluctant to respond to violence, aggression, and bullying. Teachers turn a deaf ear while an ocean of predominantly Caucasian children regularly use the "N" word & homophobic terms are used on a daily basis (these are not tolerated at the high school level nor at the elementary schools). BHMS has not taken action to create a hate-free environment, instead they tell kids to "toughen up". Students are warned at the elementary school level how rough it will be in middle school.

I have had 2 boys attend Bernardo Heights and overall it has been a positive experience. The principal is fantastic, always willing to listen to parent and student concerns. He runs a tight ship especially when it comes to the dress code (no shorty-shorts here). The teachers are well-qualified although they give a lot of homework/projects and are quite strict with their homework policies. The office staff are friendly and helpful. A downside is there has been a large student to teacher ratio the past few years due to state budget cuts. Unlike the elementary and high schools, parents aren't asked to volunteer much here. The music programs are definitely something to brag about, band, orchestra, and choir, and they feed into the award-winning RBHS music programs.

Office staff seems nice enough..some teachers are okay..but too many kids, too few teachers..I agree about the element here. The bullying does seem to be an issue and most of the teachers seem like drones. They really do not seem to care about the kids who actually need help. Just wanna get through another day.

Last modified Bernardo Heights Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.