San Diego, CA
Students enrolled: 1,376
Before care: Yes

Posted May 04, 2014
I have had 2 boys attend Bernardo Heights and overall it has been a positive experience. The principal is fantastic, always willing to listen to parent and student concerns. He runs a tight ship especially when it comes to the dress code (no shorty-shorts here). The teachers are well-qualified although they give a lot of homework/projects and are quite strict with their homework policies. The office staff are friendly and helpful. A downside is there has been a large student to teacher ratio the past few years due to state budget cuts. Unlike the elementary and high schools, parents aren't asked to volunteer much here. The music programs are definitely something to brag about, band, orchestra, and choir, and they feed into the award-winning RBHS music programs.

Posted November 15, 2013
Office staff seems nice enough..some teachers are okay..but too many kids, too few teachers..I agree about the element here. The bullying does seem to be an issue and most of the teachers seem like drones. They really do not seem to care about the kids who actually need help. Just wanna get through another day.

Posted November 02, 2013
My child has gone to BHMS for the past three years. The first year there was 3-4 hrs of nightly homework with many projects. In 7th and 8th grade, there has been very little homework. This practice should be reversed, with much less in 6th as students get used to having multiple teachers in a new school, gradually increasing as they finish 8th grade, so they will be prepared for the rigor of High School. We loved the old principal - friendly, professional, student-centered. She was a positive force on campus. The new principal, in my opinion, has been heavy handed in issuing dress code violations. My child and their friends are so worried about getting dress-coded, they can't focus on academics. As a parent and educator, I have found the environment fearful for my child, over the 2012-13 and 2013-14 school years. A very sad commentary on a place that we should be secure in the knowledge our children are receiving a quality education without the fear of bullying... by administration, teachers, lunch duties, or students. I feel this administrator is out of touch with his students. The focus is not where it should be at this school, and I have met with him directly about my concerns.

Posted August 14, 2013
My daughter graduated from BHMS in 2012. She had a wonderful experience. However, my son finished 6th grade at BHMS in 2012, then we moved to another school. His first year was vastly different. He was bullied at BHMS. We also found out he had Aspergers and the school was not able to accommodate his special needs. One teacher worked with us, another teacher would not accommodate my son's learning style. My son's profanity expanded quite a bit while playing Yugioh cards with 8th graders. Too bad its changed so much from being a top notch school.

Bernardo Heights Middle School 1

Posted May 28, 2013
My 6th and 8th grader started school her in the fall of 2012. I will have to say, not a good experience at all. There is bullying, the school does not practice what it preaches on safety, (my son broke a bone in P.E., it never should have happened and no follow-through on safety measures.) My 6th grader who enjoyed her old school does not like this school at all. She went from a zero tolerance on bullying, traditional middle school with similar A.P. scores to BHMS and wants to be home-schooled now. Front office is great, teachers and staff just so-so, good music program. Overall, what a disappointment!

Posted April 09, 2013
This school has such a bullying problem we took our daughter out in 6th grade. Teachers are complacent, they do not provide enough challenge for the high level learners they receive.

Posted September 10, 2009
Simply put, it is the best school in the poway district i could have sent my child to. I have no complaints.

Posted August 14, 2009

Bernardo Heights Middle School 0

Posted July 12, 2009
This is a great school and I'd recommend to anyone that lives around the area. The teachers are nice,the students are also nice and they are very very friendly. I left the school 5 months ago but I miss every single person I've known at that school.If there's a problem(like bullies),just tell the assistant principal and the problem would be solved asap.

Posted May 23, 2009
I really feel that this school is top notch. Most of the teachers and the leadership take teaching our children seriously and are good about keeping in contact with emails, and automated phone messages. There was a problem with bullying last year, however when brought to the principal's attention, it was taken care of immediately and the issue was resolved.

Bernardo Heights Middle School
12990 Paseo Lucido, San Diego, CA  92128
Last modified Bernardo Heights Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bernardo Heights Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top