Posted May 04, 2014
This school have been fantastic for my kids. I feel lucky to have my kids here

Black Mountain Middle School 2

Posted April 28, 2014
Unfortunately, this school has gone downhill in the 3 years my kids have been there. Three different principals in 3 years and a significant loss of some of their best teachers. My kids have done well there, but they are under-challenged. They also plan to change the math program for incoming 6th graders, which I fear will make things worse. I have an incoming 6th grader next year and I'm sure he'll be under-challenged. I will do my best to move him to a different school if I don't see significant improvement next year. The most positive attribute is the parent involvement, especially the Science Olympiad program. It is unfortunate that the most challenging aspect of the curriculum must be run by parent volunteers.

Posted June 22, 2012
I have to say I love Black Mountain Middle School. All the teachers are caring, nice, funny, and cool. The staff at Black Mountain is awesome. Right before you walk in to school, you will see the principal and staff greeting everyone as they pass by. You'll see the teachers and principals walking by everyone during lunchtime having conversations with the students, and the school will usually play music and do more fun activities during lunch. This is one of the few schools I know that has teaches orchestra, and i can personally tell you I miss that. I strongly encourage you to enroll your students in Black Mountain Middle School because if not, your seriously missing out. I wish I could've graduated at bmms but, I ended up moving after seventh grade. I miss everything about that school, especially being in orchestra. Black Mountain Middle School is awesome!!

Posted April 08, 2011
Black Mountain is a fantastic middle school in PUSD. The adminstration, office staff and fine teachers have molded my beautiful child into and incredible person. Excellent volunteering opportunities. I look forward to my childs future. BMMS has prepared my child for an awesome 4 years in high school.I couldn't be more pleased.

Posted March 23, 2011
What a positive learning environment! Staff and administration are friendly, outgoing and throughly accessible to the students and parents. Administration, staff and school counselors regularly join students at lunch for casual chats and clearly enjoy a warm, supportive relationship. My family has particularly benefitted from volunteer opportunities that are unique to this school and rare to find at other campuses. My seventh grader is very proud of this school and is having an excellent experience at Black Mountain. We are very grateful.

Posted March 18, 2011
We are delighted to share the incredibly positive experience our son has had at Black Mountain Middle School. We moved to California from another country, in the middle of the school year. Our kids have had to "hit the ground running", and Black Mountain has provided exactly the right balance of clear expectations, support to succeed and encouragement to stretch, for our grade 7 student. The staff clearly understand the needs of kids in these middle years; and the challenges they face as their world expands. They take a genuine interest in each individual student as a learner and as a person, and provide a well rounded educational experience that is second to none. We cannot speak highly enough about our sons experience at Black Mountain Middle School - the school is a gem!

Posted May 16, 2010
Great, friendly environment. Helpful teachers, diverse community, excited students.

Posted May 06, 2010
My son who is an IEP student has struggled from school to school, myself as a witness. BMMS has done so much for him within this last year compared to what other schools have done for him in the past 5 years. My son was so depressed, self contentious, even afraid to learn before attending BMMS. The program, the organization, the support which they provide for struggling students is remarkable and loving.

Posted April 23, 2010
I am not impressed with the administration and counseling staff. Yes, bullying is a part of this age, but it doesn't have to be tolerated. Administration doesn't come down on it hard enough. I don't think they are pro-active enough on this issue. There is a lot of mean behavior and bullying going on that is not easy to detect. The kids don't feel free to tell a teacher or counselor because they don't feel they will do anything about it. Where we used to live the teachers, counselors, and administration were aggressive in stopping bullying behavior. It is a big issue and BMMS needs to wake up to the fact that there is a lot of it at their school and they need to make a bold stand to the kids that it won't be tolerated.... and then must follow through by actions.

Black Mountain Middle School 1

Posted February 11, 2010

Black Mountain Middle School
9353 Oviedo Street, San Diego, CA  92129
Last modified Black Mountain Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Black Mountain Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top