Posted April 29, 2014
deer canyon is a wonderful school, a lot of enriching activities.. a great focus on academic learning as well as on developing learning skills.

Deer Canyon Elementary School 4

Posted September 23, 2013
Our 2 kids have attended Deer Canyon for 4 years. Overall the education is fine, although class sizes are now 27 even at the Kindergarten level. Reading is taught in Kindergarten. Most teachers are good. Standardized testing happens 4 times/year. There are no programs for gifted kids. Most families have a stay-at-home or working part-time mom, many of whom are heavily involved in school activities. There are no teachers' aides, so parents volunteer in the classrooms and run the art program. The PTA is very active and runs a lot of events that are fun and build a strong sense of community. A Foundation raises money to fund a science lab and teacher, language arts learning lab and teacher, and PE program and teacher, along with computers, workbooks, and classroom supplies. Sometimes it feels like the Chinese-speaking parents are not very well integrated, but more of those families may have 2 working parents. We have seen no evidence of bullying, in contrast to what our kids encounter when interacting with kids from other local schools. Overall, Deer Canyon is a public school that has weathered state budget cuts on the strength of its highly committed parents.

Posted August 14, 2013
What a lovely school! Outstanding academics without the pressure cooker feeling you sometimes get from that. The teachers have been excelling here for years so it's a well-oiled machine. Nice kids, nice parents, a beautiful neighborhood school tucked away like a gem. So grateful we found it!

Posted May 01, 2010
I am a parent of Deer Canyon school.Here teachers are great.They have helped my child a lot in learning and geeting new experiences.

Posted May 30, 2009
Deer Canyon is a lovely school full of supportive staff. My son was being teased in the first grade and the teacher was very supportive. I have to say because the students are 'well off' there aren't fights or threats like there were in my working class neighborhood growing up. But I think Bullying is taken extremely seriously. I also like the new principal. She has had some big shoes to fill this year and she is lucky enough to come just as everyone is doing budget cuts. But every concern I have had has been dealth with. I am glad we bought our home here.

Deer Canyon Elementary School 1

Posted May 11, 2009
With the new principal things have been going downhill since August. The bullying has escalated to such a degree that my kids are afraid to go to school.

Posted January 22, 2009
I've worked at this school for 8 years now. The work environment is wonderful and the community is lovely. I moved my daughter over from another school to be here with me and she really excelled. I love it here and, though I've had several opportunities, would not work anywhere else!

Posted October 01, 2008
I have 2 children in this school and its great.I just love my childrens teacher.I have their emails and can contact them anytime and vice versa if there are any issues which I think is great.My children look forward to going to school each day which speaks volumes about the environment at school.

Posted October 12, 2007
We have had 3 children go through Deer Canyon and couldn't be happier. Great teachers, great community, great leadership = top notch education!

Deer Canyon Elementary School 4

Posted March 29, 2007
Deer Canyon is a prototypical teach-to-the-test 21st century school. The district, and therefore the school, is only motivated to do well on standardized tests. To that end it is arguably the highest ranked elementary school in the district according to STAR results. The principal is very talented and gives a great deal of his personal time to the school but tends to support his teachers over the students. Therein lies the problem. The teachers, for the most part, do not make the child their first priority. Students may do well on tests, but what have they actually learned? Parent involvement is great but this reinforces the teachers adherence to a rigid curriculum that puts a lot of the responsibility on the parents. Extra-curricular activities are only available because of the PTA and its foundation that funds these activities. A stay at home mom or dad is a must for this school.

Deer Canyon Elementary School
13455 Russet Leaf Lane, San Diego, CA  92129
Last modified Deer Canyon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Deer Canyon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top