Posted May 07, 2014
My son has attended this school since he was in first grade! He is now finishing up 4th and unfortunately, we are moving to another state. We have had issues with bullying, but the staff (principal included) was very proactive on a solution. I could do without some of the parents; however, the school has been one of the best! My son has excelled intellectually because of the amazing teachers and if you are contemplating this school you won't be disappointed! We are really sad we have to leave!

Posted March 15, 2014
I joined my daughter without researching or reading reviews here. The school staff is rude and my daughters teacher is silently bullying her. My daughter was telling me that she never looks at my work, she never appreciates her work. Whether she likes it or not, its the least common sense to appreciate with one word to that small child to say "Good Job". Teachers here should understand they are mistreating small kids who don't know how to defend themselves or fight back. Shame on these teachers to have blunt hearts like this. If you don't do something about it, no one will join your school. Make it a habit to listen to parents. Keep your ears open.

Posted October 15, 2013
I have two children at HRES and am very happy with this school. The new Principal, Cindy Venolia, is an excellent communicator and a very dynamic leader. Great school!

Posted October 12, 2013
Excellent school! My son loves his teacher, has made great friends, and is learning excellent character traits.

Posted August 08, 2013
We have been in this school for 2 years, going into our 3rd year this Fall 2013. So far the teachers have been wonderful. Mrs. McGurrell has to be one of best teachers there. She makes learning fun for the kids, but she definitely adjusts the curriculum based on the child's learning level and capacity. So if your child is advanced, she/he has the opportunity to grow. Her frequent email updates are a great way of keeping in close touch with the classroom events. Heard 'rumors' about the ex-principal but this Fall there is a new one so here is hoping to better results with her. The parent involvement is super, and the foundation is so enthusiastic!

Posted June 15, 2013
The parking situation is terrible. The Principal is unprofessional, very cold, and not very warm and inviting. She "labels" families, and ours has been branded for 2 years. You can just tell by the way you are treated. Some of the teachers are good but I see a need for change. We are taking our son out of this school and moving him to another Poway School even though Ms. Watson is leaving. I don't think he will ever get a fair shot at learning. The playground is horrible and the school looks rundown. The class rooms are over crowded and if it wasn't for the parent helpers most children except the smartest and brightest would get any attention. I am not usually one to comment publically about anyone or anything but I felt compelled to write about HRES.

Posted April 15, 2013
My two children are here. My husband is a teacher in another district so we have some perspective from both sides. The fact is, Ms. Watson has been amazing to my special Ed classified daughter. And she has been so supportive, yet firm with both my kids. So I find it ironic that those who complain about "bullying" at the school have been the ones to "bully" her out of this same school. I have my own hypothesis about their motivations, but I will keep my theories to myself. Don't hesitate to send your kids here. Smart people (I'm referring teachers, not the "entitled and self important parents") and nice ethnic diversity. Oh, wait, that's maybe what some of you DIDN'T like.

Highland Ranch Elementary School 3

Posted September 15, 2012
I ADORE every single teacher my children have had. The foundation and PTA are trying to get thing going. The parking situation is horrendous, and they are trying something new this year, it is a bit better, but the school was not designed for this many parents to be driving in. The Principal is just very cold, and not very warm and inviting. She "labels" families, and we've been branded. You can just tell by the way you are treated. Not soo cool. If there were not great teachers, we'd be out in a hot second.

Highland Ranch Elementary School 4

Posted September 14, 2012
Highland Ranch is a good school with horrible principle Ms.Anita Watson. She lacks leadership skills and is rude. My daughter is in 5th grade now and is in Highland Ranch since KG. All the teachers are wonderful and communicate really well. PTA and Foundation are doing lot of good things for the kids. But this school needs good principle.

Posted July 05, 2012
I can sum it up quite simple. The principal is horrible. Ms. Watson is very rude, not professional at all and a big bully! It is obvious why so many leave this school not to mention that EVERY Complaint has the principal listed in it. She has even had court issued restraining orders by parents due to her bullying!

Highland Ranch Elementary School
14840 Waverley Downs Way, San Diego, CA  92128
Last modified Highland Ranch Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highland Ranch Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top