San Diego, CA
Students enrolled: 1,293
Before care: Yes

Mesa Verde Middle School 4

Posted December 16, 2013
A great school that has good and bad teachers. You can get an amazing teacher OR a terrible one, but most likely you'll get a good teacher They offer a WONDERFUL programming club, where you can learn how to build websites, and much, much more!

Posted August 14, 2013
Hands down the most enthusiastic middle school teachers possible. The principal is wonderful, very caring and capable. So many great programs, especially music, in addition to impressive academics. Very good vibe here, not your typical middle school. Great neighborhoods all around, quality people. Love it here!

Posted July 27, 2013
I agree with the comments of other parents, my child who had always been an honor student suffered a decline in grades while attending this school, particularly in 8th grade. There is a female 8th grade teacher who is incredibly cruel to her students. There is a lot of bullying in this school and Administration ignores it for the most part. Teachers do tend to blame children for their shortcomings.

Posted April 09, 2013
The teaching here is antiquated. Teachers provide outdated handouts and worksheets on a regular basis, and almost no technology is taught or used in class. Where is the collaboration, problem solving and discourse that these higher level learners are capable of? Why so much rote teaching and rote homework? Why do a majority of the teachers have students grade other student's work in class? Much time is wasted on the great minds in this community. It is feasible to say that the high test scores are a result of the intrinsic knowledge the students bring with them, not the teaching. Ask your child how many hands-on, collaborative labs they complete in science each week, and if they are using multiple sources of evidence to support claims. It is sad.

Posted March 18, 2013
In the three years my learning challenged child was there he was never once offered any type of help or service. Instead he was blamed as being lazy. The next school quickly identified a serious learning disorder and provided testing and services. The counselors comments to me and my son were disrespectful and ignorant. The teachers, especially in 8th grade were nothing short of cruel.

Mesa Verde Middle School 1

Posted December 08, 2012
Unfortunately my experience here was unpleasant at best. Daughter's grades suffered and meetings with teachers was not a possibility except with one teacher. Most teachers did not return calls or emails. Sadly the one teacher that did meet with us began accusing my daughter of lying, and then would apologize and say she found the assignment or whatever it was she was accusing her about. The issue with that teacher was so big, I escalated to the principal and we agreed that my daughter should be moved to a different class. My daughter mostly failed 8th grade here. Not for my lack of support and help, but that of the teachers. Some kids were vicious bullies with slanderous rumor-milling and even though principal was brought in on occasions, nothing was stopped.

Posted January 22, 2012
This school is truly amazing! I came to this beautiful academy in the 6th and sadly had to leave in the 8th. Those 3 years were the best I had ever experianced. I met tons of friends here and the teachers here are awesome! I love Mesa Verde, the parents, staff, teachers, and students. I greatly recommend this school to any other students or parents in the Poway Unified School District or any where else in San Diego County because, it is worth the drive. Have a thought about joining this school, because this school is wonderful. I cried when I left, 8 years ago.

Posted September 04, 2011
This school is amazing! I came to Mesa Verde in 7th grade and I loved the experience. I met many good friends here and I had great teachers. I'm currently in 8th grade at this school, and I'm still liking the school. I certainly recommend it to any other students/parents who are thinking about joining this school, because this school is wonderful.

Mesa Verde Middle School 3

Posted May 24, 2011
My child attended Mesa Verde for 8th grade only. We moved to this area from another state. My child's experience was less than satisfactory on many levels. The primary issue was that he had been in an accelerated/gifted class since he had been in the first grade at his old school. Mesa Verde had no room, and it seemed little desire, to place him into the equivalent program in CA (called GATE). He was bored in his classes (except math) and never really clicked with any of the other kids. Mesa Verde did offer a geometry class that allowed him to continue his math (he had algebra in the 7th grade). I thought the material was well presented and the teacher appropriately pushed the students. As a final parting shot, at the 8th grade graduation when students with high GPAs were recognized, my child was not recognized even though he easily made the GPA cutoff (he had nearly straight A's at both his old school and Mesa Verde). I'm sure Mesa Verde is a great school for lots of kids, but they didn't seem very motivated to make it a good experience for transfer students. He's much happier in high school now, and very happy that Mesa Verde is behind him.

Posted April 04, 2010

Mesa Verde Middle School
8375 Entreken Way, San Diego, CA  92129
Last modified Mesa Verde Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mesa Verde Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top