Bad
Good

Nestor Language Academy Charter 1

Posted March 18, 2016
My son and daughter went here, my son did not fare well. (1) He was constantly in the principals’ office and bullied by his peers. I felt that not much was ever done about the bullying. So, I took care of it myself by talking with each of the parents. (2) Once he was left in the bathroom and no one knew where he was for forty-five minutes. I received a call from the school “did you take your son with you when you left earlier”. As I was talking to the office staff they found him and he was okay. (3) We had meetings with the teachers, staff and psychologist. They kept saying that my son needed medication so we decided to have the teacher take notes and then look at a possible IEP. The teacher did not do her part, which was to keep a record of his achievements and non-achievements. While at the meeting, I asked for her reports and she said she left them in the classroom. When I approached her later on, she said she would get them but they never appeared anywhere anytime. I again at the next “meeting” asked for them and it was totally over looked. I got him out of that school the following year and he’s been an A student every since. No IEP needed. It follows them through all their schooling.

Nestor Language Academy Charter 2

Posted September 11, 2014
If you are concerned over child safety do not let your child attend this school. The receptionist has very poor work ethic and the children are minimally monitored on campus. My child was left waiting outside because the front office was "too busy" to simply have her wait in the office for me. I received a call from another parent informing me that my child was crying walking alone on hollister ave. Hopefully the next front office personnel they have will not be too busy to ensure the safety of my child.

Posted April 07, 2014
I have nothing but WONDERFUL things to say about Nestor. I am an alumni of the language academy and am currently a high school senior. I attended Nestor k-6 and graduated as the valedictorian of my 6th grade class. Nestor's test scores do not nearly reflect the quality of education your child will receive. Teachers are incredibly committed to students and spend many unpaid hours after school and over breaks to make lesson plans phenomenal. They connect very deeply with their students and parents. I still keep in contact with several of them! I thoroughly enjoyed the curriculum and focus of language, culture, and diversity throughout my years. Starting in third grade, we learned of the importance of bilingualism and discussed our bicultural lifestyle. These topics could not have otherwise been taught to a group so young. There are many opportunities for kids to be involved and contribute to the campus. Programs like music, safety patrol, peace patrol, student council, Fall Festival committee, the after school program and more all help build leadership experiences. I am so pleased with the growth of the language academy and have nothing but fond memories of my time there.

Nestor Language Academy Charter 2

Posted June 09, 2013
There are some good aspects about this school, for instance the early years teachers are great! However, the middle school requires a much more in-depth curriculum; where the students can be more engaged, supported, and challenged. In closing, the demographics in terms of population are not as balanced as it could be.

Posted June 22, 2012
academic wise its a good school security okay, my daughter in 2nd grade and 6 months later shes bilingual, and she doing great.

Posted May 24, 2012
Great teachers+great program= great future profesionals. Congrats you are doing a awesome job. I can't thank the teachers enough for their dedication and patience.they truly love what they do and we as parents truly appreciate your devotion.

Posted March 10, 2012
I am a prospective parent. Thought I'd mention that as of the 2010-2011 school year Nestor Language Academy became a charter school and now serves grades K-8. I read about the Nestor Language Academy in the Union Tribune in 2011 and it was listed in the top 3 middle schools in terms of percentage of seventh graders achieving advanced or provicient grades on standardized tests, when compared with all Sweetwater middle schools and two other charters in the area. GREAT WORK!

Posted June 15, 2011
I am an educator, and have been teaching both students and teachers for over 20 years. I have a PhD from Stanford in teacher education, and have observed many, many teachers in various schools. Both of my daughters have been at Nestor since kindergarten. I continue to be amazed by the incredible work of both teachers and the whole school to create an environment of caring, bilingualism, biliteracy, and consistency. The teachers work in teams extremely effectively, and both my daughters are fluent in both Spanish and English, are at the top of the CSTs, and love the school and their teachers. I have spent many mornings observing the teachers as I volunteer in the classroom, and the teaching is clear, kind, stimulating, uses many varied techniques, and in many instances has taught ME something about teaching! I cannot recommend this school highly enough. I would gladly be a teacher there, and will keep my daughters there through 8th grade without any hesitation. From the day-to-day teaching in the classrooms to the whole-school assemblies, I have been continually impressed and proud to be a part of Nestor.

Posted May 10, 2011
I have to say, this school provides the challenge that I would excpect. When they told us of the intensity that is taught at this school, they were not kidding. Wonderful system that keeps both of my kids challenged with homework with high expectations. Watching them grown in dual languages is amazing. Not only are the kids held accountable but so are the partents. They are focused on making sure the kids learn what the need to while at the same time enforcing the rules. I didn't buy a house in another city because of this school.

Posted September 09, 2010
Nestor Language Academy is an exceptional and exemplary school that is a rare gem in the educational system. The school is comprised of intelligent, dedicated, and compassionate teachers and staff who have made a commitment to providing the students with a solid, comprehensive and meaningful academic education. The students are offered the opportunity to achieve complete fluency in two languages. Whether the child's first language is English or Spanish, their fluency will be solid in both before they reach fifth grade (or sooner in many cases). "English only parents" are kept up to date with their child's progress and in close communication with their teachers which is important during the early years when the majority of instruction is in Spanish. The children adapt very well to the program and it is wonderful to see how much they are capable of learning under the care of the pecially trained teachers.

Nestor Language Academy Charter
1455 Hollister Street, San Diego, CA  92154-4063
Last modified Nestor Language Academy Charter is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.