Barnard Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 300 students

Our Mandarin Chinese Magnet Program makes us special.

Living in San Diego

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $290,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,350.

Posted June 1, 2012

My Child loves her school! The teachers are so engaging with their students, encouraging and they make the children want to learn more! This immersion program is very challenging; it s amazing how the kids learn Mandarin so quickly. There is lots of parent involvement in the classrooms, at events and outside of school. Barnard provides tools for parents to help teach and support their child with their English Class. Principal Park is always greeting parents in the morning during daily assembly and after school. I love this school, I love that its diverse, classes are less than 25, amazing parent participation and that all the students are so happy!

Posted April 9, 2012

My son is a kinder and he attends Barnard. We "choiced" into this school from Willow Grove, our neighborhood school in the PUSD. The classroom sizes are manageable for kinder children (23 kids in one class). My son is already speaking Mandarin. The administrative staff is very attentive to the kids. The Principal is very engaged with the teachers, Board, kids, and parents. He never stops working for the education of these kids. This is a school for parents and kids who put education and language as a priority.

Posted March 18, 2012

Barnard Mandarin Chinese Elementary School is a wonderful school. It's Mandarin Chinese program is an outstanding program. All the teachers work together and work smart to improve the effectiveness with the students. The teachers stay after school to give extra help to the students. Barnard Mandarin school encourages parents to partner with teachers and other parents. We are a family that works together for the betterment of our children.

Posted March 15, 2012

After transferring from another public school in area we are amazed every day at how AWESOME Barnard is. Principal Parks has done incredible things with this school and he creates a true community feel. He is a forward thinker which is imperative with the state of California schools today. The teachers are top notch helping the children excel on all levels. Our son is flourishing at Barnard. We are so thankful.

Posted March 14, 2012

Barnard is a great school! My Son and Daughter have attended since Kindergarten and they love learning Mandarin. They have learned so much and can now have conversation in Mandarin between themselves. The Teachers, Principle and staff are amazing!

Posted March 13, 2012

Barnard's doing a great job of combining SDUSD's curriculum with immersion in mandarin. The upper grades are not immersion, but get a period a day of mandarin instruction taught by native speakers. Our child is keeping up with her peers at other schools, and also learning to communicate in a second language. We dont speak a second language at home, so its a real gift to be able to have her learn a second language at no extra cost. The parents and staff are very committed to the success of the school, as can be seen by the number of parents on campus helping with classrooms, events, etc. The staff has also been very responsive to suggestions on program improvements, considering each carefully and replying with the reasoning behind any decision. We look forward to the rest of 'our' time at Barnard.

Posted March 13, 2012

Barnard has an amazing PTA, super involved parents who are volunteering continuously in the classrooms, highly knowledgeable staff, great leadership, and a great group of kids. This is a fantastic school to work at and I cannot think of any other school I'd rather be at. The moral amongst all is quite high across the board.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 12, 2012

I love this school. We had spent many winters in San Diego and started researching schools when our children became of school age. Though the facilities were much more run down than our very new schools in the Mid-West, we were so impressed with the curriculum, the teachers, the principal and staff, we decided to move our kids here during the school year to get an A+ education. I have a 2nd grader and a kindergartner here and they are both thriving!! Both in English and in Mandarin. My kinder is very naturally speaking Mandarin after 1 semester. I am now able to communicate with her in Chinese. The great thing is that the siblings (I have 3 total) that actually are teaching each other. I have become super involved in the school to make sure we are all on the right track. We could always use more parent involvement but that is every school. The principal really has a vision for the program and the school and he is very impressive! The parents are also very giving and have a very open mind. They want the best for their kids and are willing to work for it!!!

Posted January 24, 2012

This school is the most diverse child-centered parent friendly school ever. It is like the United Nations for Children. The Chinese teachers in the immersion program are highly trained and fun to watch as they teach Chinese to the children. The English teacher for the immersion children is amazing. My child loves going to her class. Mr. Park who is the Principal is always available to parents. He has a morning assembly everyday and parents and students participate. It makes for a very welcoming feeling. I am happy my child is in this very open, caring, forward-thinking, global school.

Posted January 17, 2012

I have worked at this school for two years and I love it. The best children, staff and the parents in the entire district. I feel so proud as if the child was mine to hear the children speak Chinese. I have worked for the district for 17 years at a variety of schools and this is the one that I plan on retiring from.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 16, 2011

The House of China, Balboa Park, is a Partner in Education to Barnard. We have seen Barnard leverage resources to raise test scores and to expand the Mandarin enrichment programs in all grades to now have immersion Mandarin in the lower grades while maintaining the enrichment program for the upper grades. Barnard is a pacesetter in education locally and nationally. it has a strong and deserved reputation in China, Taiwan and the local Chinese American community. The HOC fully endorsed Barnard.

Posted June 16, 2011

My daughter just finished Kindegarten at Barnard and I could not be happier with the experience. The faculty and staff really go the extra mile. The Mandarin immersion program is fantastic. I never thought we would be able to provide our daughter with this type of an educational experience through a public school. The staff is constantly searching for ways to expand and develpe this program. Thank you Barnard we look forward to both of our children attending this school over the next 10 years.

Posted June 15, 2011

They are very strict here and cross the lines sometimes!!! The only advantage is the Mandarin. I hear the Immersion program is good however not sure if it's worth it. My child only had an hour a day.

Posted February 26, 2011

My child loves this school. There are great teachers, the best administration, peaceful kids, and supportive parents. The number of students is increasing for sure, but it s still a small school, we welcome more new students. It s cool to see kids teaching their parents basic Chinese words and getting a lot of media attention. I couldn t believe the last CST score, they did a terrific job.

Posted January 28, 2011

We "choiced" into Barnard Elementary to take advantage of the Chinese Immersion program. What we didn't realize is how dedicated the faculty and staff would be to helping each child succeed. They are really committed to learning at this school and do not accept trouble making students. Are are very happy with our choice.

Posted December 14, 2010

My daughter is attending kindergarten at Barnard. Although we live blocks away from another highly rated elementary school, we applied to Barnard in order to take advantage of the Mandarin Chinese immersion program and we willingly drive 20 minutes twice a day in order for her to attend. Our daughter has two teachers she sees daily: her classroom teacher who provides instruction in Mandarin and an English language arts teacher who provides instruction 1 hour per day. Both teachers are excellent and my daughter is learning so much Mandarin while also progressing in her English reading and writing skills. The rest of the staff is also wonderful. The principal is enthusiastic, committed, energetic, and available. He forges numerous relationships with different organizations in order to gain additional support and funding for everything from classroom furniture to continuing education. The project resource teacher offers monthly classes to parents on reading strategies to use to support English literacy in the home and these classes are packed full of important and applicable information. What an amazing balance of immersion and English language support.

Posted September 16, 2010

We're entering our second year as Barnard parents, and we're very happy with the school. The principal is enthusiastic, friendly, involved, and effective, as evidenced by the ever-increasing API scores (650 '06 , 750 '07, 807 '08, 874 '09), and the school being designated a California Distinguished School this year. The parents are also very involved, supporting the school by volunteering, attending events, and contributing. When the school announced the plan to take the kindergarten classes to immersion for 2010-11, the parents requested that it be extended to the first graders. The terrific staff worked to make this happen, and so for its first year of immersion program, there are 4 classes diving in - 2 kinder and 2 first graders. I am in awe of the first grade teachers especially. We are very glad we bring our kids here, despite 3 very acceptable local schools.

Posted February 15, 2010

I am new to this area. Yes, I did some research - the previous principal wasn't good (no wonder there were many bad reviews in a couple years ago), and the current principal is one of the best in this area. We applied to this school and my child was accepted. Wow, great school! I wish this school will become a 100% magnet school, though. I think some local parents don t agree with the value of this magnet program (many of them do). If parents are not interested in Chinese language, how they can enjoy this school ?

Posted January 31, 2010

This school is fantastic! The staff truly cares about the children and their successes! There are lots of parents that are enthusiastic about the program and support its goals. LOVE LOVE LOVE this school!

Posted March 3, 2009

We LOVE Barnard! The low student-teacher ratio really helped our shy child come out of his shell. The teachers are dedicated and highly-qualified. The new principal is energetic & involved --probably knows each & every student by name! And, the Mandarin program is lead by exceptional teachers who make learning fun. ...I'm amazed at how quickly my child is picking up the new language. Our family doesn't speak any other language besides English so it's a real testament to the program that my child is learning Mandarin so effortlessly. Leaving our large, established, neighborhood school just down the street to commute 20 miles each way for Barnard's new magnet program was not an easy decision to make but, it was definitely the right one! Barnard is a great school with a fantastic program, rigorous academic curriculum, gifted teachers, active parent involvement, and a caring staff. Small schools are priceless! www.barnardelementary.com

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 18%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Special education coordinator
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • California Distinguished School (2010)
  • Title I Academic Achievement Award (2011)
  • California Business for Educational Excellence Honor Roll (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Multiple disabilities
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Foreign languages
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 5:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Edward Park
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (619) 224-8721

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Mandarin Chinese Magnet

Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Mentoring
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor