San Diego, CA

Posted April 13, 2014
My two kids go to Barnard. The school has been providing them to have more chances to enjoy Asian culture, not just language.

Posted April 12, 2014
My daughter just started at Barnard in Kindergarten. She has learned so much, in Chinese and in English. The teachers and other staff there are talented, creative, skilled and dedicated, I'm very impressed with everyone there. I asked my daughter what she liked about her teacher, and she said 'she loves me very much.' So she's not just getting a great education, she is part of a community that cares about the kids and their success.

Posted January 20, 2014
My daughter is in the first immersion class at Barnard (now 4th-grade) and last spring break we traveled to Singapore and she was very comfortable conversing in Chinese. She could read store signs and restaurant menus for me. I was extremely impressed! In this new world and here on the west coast an adult entering the work force with a second language of Chinese would immediately excel (and a third language of Spanish would really be helpful). them in their job. Outside of the Chinese emersion my child has excelled in math and reading (evident in her state scores) due to the excellent programs at Barnard for the students and their parents. The Kinder reading strategy class provided for the parents was just wonderful in setting a foundation for reading that could be applied at home. There are parent classes in Mandarin and in Korean (for the new Korean language emersion now offered for children at Barnard) to help the parents to converse with their children. The school was just moved to a bigger campus in Pacific Beach (near the 5 freeway) and the School Board is talking about new buildings in the near future for the eventual expansion into Japanese and then Tagalog.

Barnard Elementary School 3

Posted December 09, 2013
What percentage of the day are children learning Mandarin? 90% kindergarten? 50% 1st grade? Thanks!

Posted September 26, 2013
My son started kindergarten at Barnard a month ago. He loves school, he loves his teacher, and he loves learning Chinese. Last night he said "Hello my name is XX and I am 5 years old." Impressive for a little boy who knew nothing 4 weeks ago. The teachers are excellent and the new facilities in Mission Bay are lovely. Every classroom has a smart board, computer, projector, and more. And his classroom also has 6 computers for the students to use. The principal is exceptionally energetic and enthusiastic. He is also very resourceful. Instead of succumbing to the many budget cuts of late, he has found ways to bring more staff to the school. I can't say enough about how much I love the school already.

Posted September 23, 2013
We drive 40 minutes each morning to take our two grade school children to Barnard. The mandarin language problem offered is obviously the main attraction. This school has a great core group of teachers, as well as a very involved parent base, which is absolutely vital for school development. Our kids participate in the after-school program, which is very well run at this school. Overall, an excellent program. If we had to do it all over again, we wouldn't change a thing!

Posted September 10, 2013
My daughter has entered Kindergarten at Barnard Asian Pacific Language Academy . We are thrilled to have an opportunity for my daughter to learn a third language. This school has it all! An amazing, energetic principal who is the friendlies principal I have ever met. It has great teachers, a great PTA and an eager community of parents willing to help out the school to become the best. The school recently raised it's API Score to 902!!! This is impressive for a Mandarin immersion school. My daughter has only been at this school for a week and she is already is sharing the words she has learned in Mandarin. The first day of school was so smooth and I don't think I saw one kid crying. They have a great system where all the kids meet for assembly and go over announcements, pledge of allegiance and then they all walk to their respective classrooms. The teachers are amazing with the kids. We commute from out of district 15 miles each day and sit through traffic but is very much worth it. This school is a hidden jewel of the San Diego Unified School District. I would recommend this school to every parent in San Diego County.

Posted September 05, 2013
Very excited to have my children enrolled! .....I have heard very good things about their programs.

Posted September 02, 2013
We LOVE Barnard! My daughter currently attends Barnard and it has been wonderful experience. Mr Park's passion to lead the school is contagious- they really do want to change education for the better. The teachers are also fabulous! They are dedicated and really want to see the students excel. My daughter is speaking, reading and writting Chinese and loves it! She is also learning Chess, Kung-Fu and Science in her after school enrichment programs. I would highly recommend this school!!!

Posted August 29, 2013
5 star! The chinese immersion program and teacher & parents commitment to exellence is second to none!

Barnard Elementary School
2930 Barnard St., San Diego, CA  92110
Last modified Barnard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Barnard Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top