Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

So glad we're no longer at Bethune. It is untrue that this school is the 'highest scoring school in Paradise Hills' or that it's culturally diverse. Please check the school scores and demographics. It is entirely Filipino, 80% or so. The admin staff was very unprofessional. There's an African American school clerk there who is beyond rude, older lady. Very snippy, bad demeanor. I would always see her yelling at the kids - a lot! The day I went to enroll my 6 year old she asked me to not let my 4 year old touch the children's books & magazines in the waiting area. Are you kidding me, why are they out here for, for people to look at right? I also asked for a tour of the school and that lady said no, that I needed to do that 'another day'. Very lazy clerks. The parking situation was indeed a huge mess. Parents were nice, but the school seemed very unorganized. If you're expecting a warm fuzzy feeling at Bethune, you're not going to get it there.

Develops character: Disagree

If the administration at Bethune K-8 doesn't develop and offer those qualities to the parents, they are unable to pass those on to the students. Case in point: when admin says they're 'call you back' or 'get back to you' and they never do after 2 or 3 phone call requests. That's not being honest or showing integrity. That is blatant lying or passing the buck - very unprofessional and actions like that make you question whether this is the place where you want your children 'educated' with adults who run a school that disrespect. As parents we are not dumb and that IS very disrespectful.

2 issues I did not enjoy while my kids were at Bethune were the following. Parking situation is horrible. They do not allow parking in parking lot and traffic is diverted to side streets which are blocks away. You need to get there an hour and a half before school let's out to get the parking available in front of the school. It's about a half block worth and spaces are limited. That's why you see so many parents and grandparents asleep in their cars and SUV's at 1pm when school let's out at 2pm - so unnecessary. It takes a big chunk out of your day after day. Also, the school is 80-90% Filipino. In an area so diverse where there are so many Hispanics, African-American children and many Samoans and Guamanians, I can not for the life of me understand why Bethune doesn't try to recruit those groups to make their campus more culturally diverse. If you are not Filipino, your child will stand out - something to consider.

Bethune is such a great school, when i came here in the u.s, I never knew any English because I was from the Philippines and I came here in the u.s when I was 10 years old, then Bethune is my 1st ever school here in america, the 1st time I step at Bethune, I knew that it will be impossible for me to pass 5th grade because I don't know how to speak English, then after a few months, I learn a little bit of English because Bethune has this very wonderful program called "English learner" where they teach us how to communicate and speak English well, then it's very surprising for me to find myself as a middle schooler, when I was in 6th grade I gave meet lots of people that has the same problem as me, and I told them to not worry because of the "English learner" program. When I came into 7th grade I really know how to speak English now and it helps me to make new friends and it also helps me with my grade!! I was so excited to see myself speaking English because before I thought that it's impossible but again thanks to Bethune for helping me to experience new thing in America!! I never forget Bethune because they thought me that nothing is impossible!

My daughter school in this school.I like this school the teachers are great and they're really concerns about all students. I am glad my daughter school here.

This school located in a much more ethnically diverse area should not be 60% Asian. All the other cultures, seem to be disregarded in academic preperation and overall concern. In a society so diverse, having such a lop-sided population offers no diversity. My daughter is Hispanic/African-American, and she is truly a minority at this school.

This is a great place to bring the kid's to learn, I like the program that they have this school year , 1) no more guardian inside the line, 2) no more bringing food during lunch time, if only guardian realized the important of being independent on early age. 3) no more parking inside the lot, The principal and Juan need help on this one some people are very stubborn to obey the rules, where is the Cop's . hoping this will continue for the rest of the school year and the following year, GO GO Principal Spiegel and the Bethune Admin. team.

Bethune School is a K-8 school with the highest CST scores in the Paradise Hills area. The administration and teachers have high academic and behavioral expectations of all of the students, regardless of ethnicity. The school offers music, technology in every classroom , and high school credit classes at the middle school level(geometry,algebra, Spanish) that qualify entry into the UC/CSU university system. There is also an after school programs: Prime Time, academic tutoring, drama club, and the tennis program. The diversity of the staff and students (Anglo, African-American, Asian, Latino, Pacific Islander) and the academic programs, the school has a lot to offer, In fact, grades 6,7,8 are almost full.

I was not impressed with this school at all. I had two kids that went to school here and just the way that they were belittled it seemed. The school has a heavy Filipino population and for example when there are parities it is just mainly Filipino food and at christmas time the Filipino kids are getting lots of presents and non Filipions are just getting something small like a goddie bag. This has to stop and I hope someone is reading this that is enpower to do something about it. I pulled my kids out of the school and transfered them to a new location.

it is a great school !!i love it !! my daughter always gets the princibles awards .they made hera star!!in education

Last modified Bethune K-8 is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.