Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 23, 2016
I am so grateful to my oldest daughter's teacher this year as I feel like she is adequately preparing her for what lies ahead in middle school.

Posted May 23, 2016
I chose this school for my daughters after touring the facility and being blown away by the principal's leadership and the implementation of the International Baccalaureate curriculum. So far I have not been disappointed. The quality of the teachers is top-notch, the level of passion from the principal extends down into all the staff and I have been very pleased with the well-rounded education my daughters have been getting. I can't recommend this school enough!

Posted March 27, 2016
The leaders and parents at the school think that getting involved in the community and doing everything they can to engage and educate the students is of the utmost importance. My child is always coming home with positive things to say about his teacher, his classmates, and the interesting things they have done in class and in the "specials" program. He is getting a well-rounded education and is also learning about helping others, respect, and how to be a good citizen of the world. We love Birney Elementary!

Posted November 19, 2015
I am the principal at Birney! I see a lot of 5 star ratings, but there is not an overall rating for my school - can you explain why? I appreciate all the comments from our parents. I am baffled by the most recent comment about not being friendly to children with special needs. We have just over ten percent of our population with IEPs and 504s, we have an excellent team of professionals who go above and beyond for our special needs students. I hope the parent who posted this feels he or she can come talk to me about what is needed for his or her child. Our team includes a half-time school psychologist, 4 education specialists, 4 special education assistants, 2 speech language pathologists, adaptive PE, physical therapy and occupational therapy time and a school counselor 2 days a week.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 18, 2015
The homework may seem like a lot to some, but to me it's just right. I want my son to learn well with our help, to be a better learner in class, and the amount of homework seems right for that to happen.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted November 18, 2015
They teach the children about integrity, morals, and being independent learners and thinkers. My son is 6 and always talks about problem solving solving when ever there is an issue.

Posted November 18, 2015
The teachers are serious about their purpose to enrich the children with the best learning experience. The principal has the school in wonderful shape and with all of their wonderful activities such as gardening, art and Spanish, it's just all the better.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted November 18, 2015
Thanks Ms. Amanda for being such a wonderful leader! You are the reason that the school is so great!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted November 18, 2015
They are engaged in the learning process, and are committed to assisting students. All of the teachers find ways to make the learning fun and effective, and to be sure students understand expectations.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted November 18, 2015
Too be honest, my answer is more about the adoption of the Common Core standards, and the amount of work those entail, much of which I think is redundant and misleading.

4345 Campus Avenue, San Diego, CA  92103
Last modified Birney Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.