San Diego, CA

Posted May 15, 2015
I am the principal at Birney! I see a lot of 5 star ratings, but there is not an overall rating for my school - can you explain why? I appreciate all the comments from our parents. I am baffled by the most recent comment about not being friendly to children with special needs. We have just over ten percent of our population with IEPs and 504s, we have an excellent team of professionals who go above and beyond for our special needs students. I hope the parent who posted this feels he or she can come talk to me about what is needed for his or her child. Our team includes a half-time school psychologist, 4 education specialists, 4 special education assistants, 2 speech language pathologists, adaptive PE, physical therapy and occupational therapy time and a school counselor 2 days a week.

Birney Elementary School 1

Posted December 02, 2014
The school doesn't take children with disabilities well. They treat them poorly and refuse to help the parent out with iep's etc.... If you want a school that cares about your child and the other children then this isn't the school to have your child enrolled in. Also this school uses your child to get money for the school. If you want a great school seek a different one.

Posted October 05, 2014
I have two sons that started here this year. One is in TK and one is in 2nd. We transfered from the school that my older son attended for k and 1st., because we never felt like part of a community. There was so much emphasis on academics, that social interactions and issues went unnoticed by the teachers, whom I felt were overwhelmed. Birney had been highly recommended by a parent, and I'm so happy I took her advice. From the first time my husband and I went to the school for orientation we have felt welcome, and our kids have been treated with care and given encouragement and proper guidance, when necessary. I feel excited about my kids going here; they are motivated to learn! My older son no longer anxiously asks each night if he has school the next day. In addition to the common core curriculum, they are learning art and Spanish. Speech therapy is also being provided for my 2nd grader. The principal often walks around campus. She's acutely aware of what goes on at the school and genuinely wants parents feedback. Part of Birney's mission as an "IB learners school" is to treat others with kindness, and encourage curiosity and acceptance. So far, we LOVE this school.

Birney Elementary School 3

Posted July 14, 2014
This school has served us well for 3 years, but it's time to go. We had issues beginning of the school year that was put to the side by Amanda. It's disappointing to see how she just brushed us off to the side and didn't really address the issue with the teacher that was never present in class. Amanda is more concern about attendance and the amount of money lost if your kids do not come to school. I'm sorry but kids get sick and you do have to keep them home to avoid getting the other kids sick. I do have to say the special programs at Birney are outstanding. They provide language learning, gardening, and arts. Parents involvement are also awesome to see. We will miss the friends we build at Birney, but we're excited to the future without Amanda.

Posted April 15, 2014
A unique school that teaches to the whole child. The International Baccalaureate program at Birney teaches tolerance, respect, risk taking, compassion and other core values while engaging in project based learning. Both my sons have thrived there, both as learners and as moral, compassionate learners and citizens of the world. The principal is driven to excellence and knows every kid by name. The parents are involved, and the study body is wonderfully diverse. Everything you could ask for in an urban, high achieving school!

Posted April 15, 2014
Birney is a diverse school with an amazing International Baccalaureate Program - teaching students the good values to build a better world. This school has an active parent population and several staff that bring their children to the school because the quality of education is valued. The school has a Spanish, Art and Garden (also known as Agriculture and Environmental Sciences) Program that would impress any parent in addition to a very strong PE program. Students come out of Birney more than prepared for the next step - as well rounded community members. Come check Birney out!

Posted April 13, 2014
The teachers here are excellent at every grade level! I truly believe that the children at Birney have an advantage over non-Birney students by being part of an incredible hands on IB program. I didn't know much about the IB program before we started at Birney, but now I see the advantages that the children are gaining. Some of the amazing classes here at Birney are Garden (earth science), Art, and Spanish. The principal Ms. Amanda, is a strong leader that continues to lead this little elementary gem to new successful platforms. I took a chance having my children go to Birney instead of the highly reputable charter schools and I am glad I did. The academics are truly amazing.

Posted April 03, 2014
My son has gone to Birney since Kindergarten. I am so glad that he is a part of a school that prepares him for future success. The specials program really gets the kids involved and the teachers and principle really cares for the children. They recognize the children who have done great as far as IB learning and I'm proud to say this was a goal we set for my son to make it on the list and he finally did. He is also going on the limo ride with many other kids who had perfect attendance. They go to a local ice cream shop to get ice cream for working hard to keep perfect attendance. I'm excited for my daughter to be joining Birney this Fall. I love how a lot of the parents are involved and we do a lot to raise funds to help keep the specials running. My son loves specials. I'm a very proud parent to have my kids attending Alice Birney Elementary!

Posted April 03, 2014
I chose this school for my daughters after touring the facility and being blown away by the principal's leadership and the implementation of the International Baccalaureate curriculum. So far I have not been disappointed. The quality of the teachers is top-notch, the level of passion from the principal extends down into all the staff and I have been very pleased with the well-rounded education my daughters have been getting. I can't recommend this school enough!

Posted April 02, 2014
We were so fortunate to be allowed to choice to Birney Elementary. Its unique philosophy and specials programs sets this school apart from any school in San Diego. The IB component of the school encourages these children to explore the world around them, think outside the box, be risk takers and discover new things about themselves and others. The garden program is out of this world. Due to the amazing garden program at this school, I feel the kids at this school have such a leg up on understanding science and biology. My Kindergarten son uses scientific terminology and has a true understanding of nature that I never had. The school grows their own food for the cafeteria and produces hardly any garbage due to the amazing compost program. My son eats amazing foods now including kale, fennel, beets. The principal and staff are caring and passionate about their school and I was blown away by the parent of involvement. I could not have asked to be helping such an amazing group of parents that care so much and put so much effort in making this school the best elementary school of San Diego. I am truly thankful for our family to be able to be a part of this school.

Birney Elementary School
4345 Campus Avenue, San Diego, CA  92103
Last modified Birney Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5
Birney Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 53 reviews. Top