San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Birney Elementary School 1

Posted December 02, 2014
The school doesn't take children with disabilities well. They treat them poorly and refuse to help the parent out with iep's etc.... If you want a school that cares about your child and the other children then this isn't the school to have your child enrolled in. Also this school uses your child to get money for the school. If you want a great school seek a different one.

Posted October 05, 2014
I have two sons that started here this year. One is in TK and one is in 2nd. We transfered from the school that my older son attended for k and 1st., because we never felt like part of a community. There was so much emphasis on academics, that social interactions and issues went unnoticed by the teachers, whom I felt were overwhelmed. Birney had been highly recommended by a parent, and I'm so happy I took her advice. From the first time my husband and I went to the school for orientation we have felt welcome, and our kids have been treated with care and given encouragement and proper guidance, when necessary. I feel excited about my kids going here; they are motivated to learn! My older son no longer anxiously asks each night if he has school the next day. In addition to the common core curriculum, they are learning art and Spanish. Speech therapy is also being provided for my 2nd grader. The principal often walks around campus. She's acutely aware of what goes on at the school and genuinely wants parents feedback. Part of Birney's mission as an "IB learners school" is to treat others with kindness, and encourage curiosity and acceptance. So far, we LOVE this school.

Posted April 15, 2014
A unique school that teaches to the whole child. The International Baccalaureate program at Birney teaches tolerance, respect, risk taking, compassion and other core values while engaging in project based learning. Both my sons have thrived there, both as learners and as moral, compassionate learners and citizens of the world. The principal is driven to excellence and knows every kid by name. The parents are involved, and the study body is wonderfully diverse. Everything you could ask for in an urban, high achieving school!

Posted April 15, 2014
Birney is a diverse school with an amazing International Baccalaureate Program - teaching students the good values to build a better world. This school has an active parent population and several staff that bring their children to the school because the quality of education is valued. The school has a Spanish, Art and Garden (also known as Agriculture and Environmental Sciences) Program that would impress any parent in addition to a very strong PE program. Students come out of Birney more than prepared for the next step - as well rounded community members. Come check Birney out!

Posted April 13, 2014
The teachers here are excellent at every grade level! I truly believe that the children at Birney have an advantage over non-Birney students by being part of an incredible hands on IB program. I didn't know much about the IB program before we started at Birney, but now I see the advantages that the children are gaining. Some of the amazing classes here at Birney are Garden (earth science), Art, and Spanish. The principal Ms. Amanda, is a strong leader that continues to lead this little elementary gem to new successful platforms. I took a chance having my children go to Birney instead of the highly reputable charter schools and I am glad I did. The academics are truly amazing.

Posted April 03, 2014
My son has gone to Birney since Kindergarten. I am so glad that he is a part of a school that prepares him for future success. The specials program really gets the kids involved and the teachers and principle really cares for the children. They recognize the children who have done great as far as IB learning and I'm proud to say this was a goal we set for my son to make it on the list and he finally did. He is also going on the limo ride with many other kids who had perfect attendance. They go to a local ice cream shop to get ice cream for working hard to keep perfect attendance. I'm excited for my daughter to be joining Birney this Fall. I love how a lot of the parents are involved and we do a lot to raise funds to help keep the specials running. My son loves specials. I'm a very proud parent to have my kids attending Alice Birney Elementary!

Posted April 03, 2014
I chose this school for my daughters after touring the facility and being blown away by the principal's leadership and the implementation of the International Baccalaureate curriculum. So far I have not been disappointed. The quality of the teachers is top-notch, the level of passion from the principal extends down into all the staff and I have been very pleased with the well-rounded education my daughters have been getting. I can't recommend this school enough!

Posted April 02, 2014
We were so fortunate to be allowed to choice to Birney Elementary. Its unique philosophy and specials programs sets this school apart from any school in San Diego. The IB component of the school encourages these children to explore the world around them, think outside the box, be risk takers and discover new things about themselves and others. The garden program is out of this world. Due to the amazing garden program at this school, I feel the kids at this school have such a leg up on understanding science and biology. My Kindergarten son uses scientific terminology and has a true understanding of nature that I never had. The school grows their own food for the cafeteria and produces hardly any garbage due to the amazing compost program. My son eats amazing foods now including kale, fennel, beets. The principal and staff are caring and passionate about their school and I was blown away by the parent of involvement. I could not have asked to be helping such an amazing group of parents that care so much and put so much effort in making this school the best elementary school of San Diego. I am truly thankful for our family to be able to be a part of this school.

Posted April 11, 2013
Birney is an amazing school. If you really want to embrace diversity, there's a whole world on the blacktop at Birney. The staff and teachers are all focused on those long-term IB goals: not just doing what the students need to succeed this semester, but what will support them through the rest of their academic life. When we were looking at schools, we kept looking at test scores and demographics. A lot of comparable charter schools showed demographics where most of the parents had at least Bachelors if not graduate degrees. Birney is not that way--some kids opt in, for some kids it's their neighborhood school. The demographics are accordingly across a broader range; it's in a high poverty neighborhood. When we looked at the test scores in that light, Birney's population--where a high percentage of kids eligible for free/reduced lunch and not every parent has a college education--was doing as well or better than similar schools where almost every parent had a college degree. To us, that meant that the teachers and staff at Birney were doing more for a broader swath of the population than the other schools that were more self-selecting. That's been true so far in our experience.

Posted October 02, 2012
We have been at Birney for 2 years and have nothing but positive things to say about our school !!!! ---- I spent a year looking for a great public school for my child. I visited and compared statistics for many schools. I chose Birney for the entire package it offers. The principal was involved and her strong leadership was evident. The IB principles were integrated through the curriculum by IB trained teachers. Although Birney was not at the top academically yet, their scores have been climbing every year. I saw a good school rising to greatness and I wanted my child to be involved in the ascent. ---- Growing parent support and involvement can be witnessed in the continuation of special enrichment classes. As the education budget is cut, parents have rallied and funded the programs themselves. ---- I am proud to be part of the Birney community !!!

Birney Elementary School
4345 Campus Avenue, San Diego, CA  92103
Last modified Birney Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5
Birney Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top