Cabrillo Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 186 students

We are dedicated to enriching students with challenging curriculum.

Posted June 16, 2014

Some of the teachers are unbalanced and the principal can be rude and disrespectful. Library employee and PTA are often involved in gossips.

Posted June 14, 2014

Cabrillo Elementary is the worst school I've ever known, some of the staff have this culture of rudeness, apathetic, unreasonable, threatening and unhappiness. Parents bullying is prevalent there in several grades, some are very uneducated, cruel and cowards. If you don't like dramas or craziness, stay away!! The education system is fine. They have computer labs, also offer good activities and field trips.

Posted May 21, 2014

Cabrillo Elementary is small and some of the teachers do care very much. The principal is oblivious to what is going on in the school. He tends to ignore that bullying is prevalent there. I am glad to see that German is being taught to the students. It is good for kids at that age to learn a second language outside of the local language. Some of the staff are not watchful of the kids and things go on on the playground that shouldn't. I believe that some kids are more protected from discipline than others. The school would be better if parents cared more about what goes on. It would also be better if the principal was more involved and concerned about what goes on. He is often not in the office and good luck on getting a call back. I will pull my kids out for the next school year.

Posted February 13, 2013

I happened to meet a great lady today.Her name is Marcella Kreizinger and she is 102 years young.She used to be a Kindergarden teacher at your school and she was wondering how things are. Maybe you could send her a picture of the school and give her an update. She would love that. Thank you so much in advance. Her address is:Grossmont Gardens Retirement Center, 5480 Marengo Ave., La Mesa, CA.91942 A friend,Hugo V.

Posted October 23, 2012

My kids and I love this school. The staff are a wonderful! We always have fun doing all the school events

Posted September 4, 2012

I have nothing but good things about the school.My child went through Kindergarten with Miss Carmen Barrett and was in 1st grade with Miss Elizabeth Carlos.It is an amazing school,we are a military family and is currently stationed all the way on the other side of the globe but my daughter still misses Cabrillo and talks about the school from time to time.Even the parents i am still keeping in touch with whose kids are no longer attending Cabrillo talks about how much we miss the school environment and the warmth and dedication of the Principal Suarez and the teachers there.Thank you Cabrillo for everything you have done for our child!

Posted June 4, 2012

This school has been doing very well when compared to others in the district. The test scores rate Cabrillo at a 4 in 2010, but this will soon change. As of this year they have adopted their German foreign language program and taught the GATE curricula. Although we started school this year over here, I must admit that I am very surprised with the warmth and a sense of family-like environment at the school. My kids always feel welcomed and enjoy coming to school. My only complaint is that at times I have seen some teachers be abrasive towards the children. When they notice a parent is around they change their tone a bit- however, it was not anything derogatory or offensive it was more like a parent telling their child they need to do something when the child hasn't listened 3x before, LOL. Additionally, I feel that the principal could be more avilable to the students and parents. The students look towards any principal almost like a tangible president. Perhaps instilling Principal fun-day once a month as a reward for good attendance would allow the kids to establish a better relationship.

Posted February 14, 2012

We have been at Cabrillo for five years. There is nothing but amazing things happening in this school. We are a small but mighty. My children call this school their home. My oldest now goes to Dana, and she loves it. But her heart will always be at Cabrillo. There is this warmth when my kids see their teachers and principle, I as a child never had that feeling. But I can see the joy my children have when they speak of our school. We have many new things, that we didn't have 5yrs ago. We have a computer lab, German sister school, and many more new things coming this spring. The only negative thing I can say, is there isn't enough parent participation.

Posted October 29, 2011

Cabrillo is a GATE nurturing school, which means that all kids K-4 are taught GATE concepts and curriculum. The critical thinking skills that the kids are learning really help them to be successful throughout their academic careers.

Posted October 9, 2010

Cabrillo is a great little school! We have a very diverse population, with almost half of our kids coming from military families. We are the oldest elementary school in San Diego, established in 1904 and celebrated our 106th birthday this year! Exciting news...we were honored by the School board in 10/2010 for exceeding our academic golas in the API & APY!

Posted September 15, 2010

Sorry to say, but I have to agree with the previous reviewer. My daughter was in the same boat and I feel that she was not given the opportunity to learn the full 4 th grade curriculum. The class sizes are very large and the curriculum seems to be watered down.

Posted June 11, 2010

This school is severely disappointing. We moved here midyear, my son who has always gotten honor roll was put in a classroom of 3rd graders w/ 6 other 4th graders because there was apparently no room in the 4th grade class. The teacher tried her best to teach the 4th graders what they needed to know but it just wasn't possible to get the full curriculum ofa 4th grade class. The work my son has been doing is 2nd and 3rd grade work. Multiplying single digits and cursive writing towards the end of the year. There is a serious lack of supervision in this school as well. There is noone monitoring children at the end of the day and during and after field trips. Starting from the principal down, many people need to be replaced to make this a great school. More to say but word count is limited

Posted February 9, 2010

I was very surprised when I found something negative written about Cabrillo Elementary. My children have been attending this school for 3 years now and through out this time I have had the great honor of working with several of the teachers. I have found them to be very helpful, concerned, and willing to do anything to help students succeed. The principal and support staff are top notch and have always been more than willing to address and work quickly to solve any problem I have ever had during the past three years. The PTA works hard planning multiple activities, events, and fundraisers to help benefit the students and the school. Any school is only as good as the people behind the scenes who work hard consistently to see continued growth, and who recognize a problem and instead of complaining....work hard and find solutions.

Posted December 9, 2009

My 3rd and 4th graders have been at Cabrillo for 3 years (originally because it's close to home, now we woudn't consider any other school. We couldn't be happier, especially since we knew from the start that most families in our immediate neighborhood elect to go to more 'elite' schools. Even this year when budgets created some larger classes, the teachers do an incredible job of providing individualized curriculum. We often notice how far ahead in math and reading our kids are compared to several of their same-age friends in private and charter schools. We also notice that they have a 'we're all created equal' view of the world, which we attribute to Cabrillo's superb approach to a diverse student body. Many thanks to the faculty, staff, and after-school counselors.

Posted December 2, 2009

Poor teacher quality, poor PTA involvement. This school has very little to offer students. I put my daughter in a neighboring school and we are both much happier.

Posted September 3, 2009

My daughter has been here for 2 years going on 3. I love it. The school is very small so you really get to know everyone. The staff and principle is great. It is a very military friendly school which is nice.

Posted July 27, 2009

I have to children who have attended this school and loved it. My son K-3rd and my daughter 1st-4th. Because of the small size of the school it is more like a family than a school. Teaching styles varies by teacher but you can always ask for extra help and receive more support than you bargained for. I wold recommend this school to any child who likes a more home like atmosphere.

Posted September 1, 2008

My son has had the pleasure of attending Kindergarten thru 3rd grade at Cabrillo. The past four years have been a pleasure for both my child and myself. The majority of teachers are caring, dedicated, and have effective learning styles. They truly care about their students.

Posted July 28, 2008

I was very happy with my childrens' experience in Carmen Barretts kindergarten class in 2007-2008. She is a dedicated and effective teacher and I feel fortunate to have had her as my childrens' teacher.

Posted May 10, 2006

Our daughter attended in 2002-2003, and we were extremely impressed. We were concerned at first that it wasn't rated as high as some of the other elementary schools in Point Loma, but she had two exceptional teachers, and we would have kept her there if we hadn't moved. Highly recommended.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students44%

First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

Health & athletics

• Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:10 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Nestor Suarez
  • Coed
Fax number
  • (619) 221-9051

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • GATE
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • German
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

Arts & music

Music
  • Band
Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student council/government

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor