San Diego, CA
Students enrolled: 1,072
Before care: Yes

Posted April 11, 2014
Teachers here are dedicated professionals who challenge students to meet the highest standards while supporting students in their efforts to achieve. The community is a strong supporter of Band and Orchestra, and the high rate of student participation is a major part of the success of students and the school as a whole.

Challenger Middle School 3

Posted April 11, 2014
Challenger MS is not parent friendly. The teachers are OK but the VP is happy to put kids in detention or ISS for practically no reason. The teachers (most) refuse to update the online homework assignments and use the excuse that the kids need to mature and take more notes. The parents need to see assignments every night if they are involved. The past VP had a clue and understood the kids better than any other VP I've seen. I dont trust my child will be ready for HS with this MS

Posted April 08, 2014
Challenger Middle School is a place where students are pushed to do well, where the students and staff work as a team for the good of the school and where high expectations and high achievement are at the forefront of the school experience. The teachers are dedicated and caring. They take advantage of professional development opportunities so as to keep abreast of the changes that are happening in education, such as Common Core and Next Generation Science.

Posted January 23, 2014
I am thoroughly disappointed in the total lack of feedback that the teachers give to the parents. It's not just one teacher, but all of my son's teachers fail to let me know if/when my child is behind in class. This is unacceptable to me. Part of being a teacher is to make sure that the students are keeping up, and if that is not the case - the teacher should reach out to the parent(s). I should not find out after the fact. The next step will be discussing these issues with the Principal.

Posted September 25, 2013
This is a great school. Good education, and the teachers push us to the very tip of the peak to help us real our most important goal in life. I am glad that I am a part of it.

Posted September 06, 2013
Currently I have one child enrolled in 7th grade and one who graduate from Challenger. My high school student was well prepared by Challenger for what is expected in high school. My 7th grader requires some additional tutoring due to dyslexia. The staff is very supportive and if you reach out to them they are very responsive. Yes, they require students to have their PE clothes but that is essentially part of their homework. They are no longer babies and are being prepared for their futures. Being prepared for class is part of this. They do have a zero tolerance policy for bullying which is strictly enforced, as are several other rules. I have met with office staff on different occasions and have found them to be strict but fair and reasonable. Keep in mind when reading these reviews that there are 2 middle schools in town and for some reason there is quite a rivalry between them but once they are at the high school no one (teachers or students) cares which middle school anyone went to. Overall, Challenger is doing a great job ushering students out of elementary and in to high school.

Posted August 29, 2013
Challenger has been a great school for my kids. Yes, they are strict when it comes to PE Uniforms, lunch lines, etc. But it is a high achieving public school with approximately 1100 kids in attendance. If they didn't have rules it would be completely chaotic. It did a great job of preparing my kids for high school.

Posted August 05, 2013
This school sucks. First of all, these teachers can put you in detention for anything even for the most stupidest reasons. The teachers are rude and inconsiderate here. There is a big bullying issue here. One time, there was even a fight between these two girls and everyone surrounding them didn't do anything! The teachers would ridicule a student in front of the whole class, and everyone of course would laugh. PE teachers are very strict on wearing your uniform and will most likely drop you down by one letter grade if you aren't wearing the correct WHITE SOCKS and for girls with long hair, they'd get in trouble because they forget to bring a HAIR TIE. Parents, if you are deciding between Challenger and Wangenheim, please enroll to Wangenheim, the best decision ever for my child.

Posted April 21, 2012
My son really likes this school. The teachers are very supportive and office staffs are so nice and helpful. The leadership of the Principal is great.

Posted November 15, 2011
We requested for my son to this school. We went to their orientations, cats camp, etc...everything sounded excellent! WRONG!!! This school is over rated! My son has always been an excellent student, always staying on task, and well informed of all the school work. Since being at this school, its been nothing but problems. First, on the 2nd wk of school, he forgets his PE uniform. We take it to him, and bc it's an "inconvenient" to those in the office, they get punished by doing lunch clean up. We called to speak with the Principal, and she doesnt even know the rules on that. 3rd wk of school, his first time getting cafeteria food, he steps ON a red line, and he was again, put on lunch clean up! This is the final straw for me. My son got his first lunch detention, along with a few other students for not turning in their assignments on time. They didn't know the due date bc their teacher never told them, and the teachers response was, "you should've checked the website!" This school relies highly on computers to get anything done. They don't send home outlines for homeworks or projects, and everything is "online" or in their planner. GO TO WAGENHEIM, DO NOT GO TO CHALLENGER!

Challenger Middle School
10810 Parkdale Avenue, San Diego, CA  92126
Last modified Challenger Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Challenger Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top