San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted October 26, 2013
Curie Elementary has one of the best parent/school partnerships around. Every parent, teacher and principal has been challenged in recent years with budgets and resource issues, and we all know the only way to make up for the budget shortfalls is to rally the parents together to fill in the gaps. Nowhere is this more effective than Curie Elementary. Despite state or district resource challenges, Curie has managed to maintain vibrant art, music, science, PE and extra-curricular programs, all while maintaining high academic standards. If I have any criticism it's that Curie could use some modernization of its approaches to fundraising and program administration, but the job gets done nevertheless. If you're looking for a good school with great parent involvement, head to Curie.

Posted October 26, 2013
It is the heart of a school that one feels the most at Curie Elementary. A school with a heart and desire in achieving greatness for their students. From the school leadership to Teachers to an uber involved Parent community, Curie stands out as a unique school in San Diego Unified School District.

Curie Elementary School 3

Posted August 27, 2013
The complete lack of interest that the teacher had last year helped us make the decision to put our child into another school. The test scores are great, because the children are taught the tests and how to take the tests. The parent involvement and PTA are amazing, and they have to be when the class sizes are up to 33 children. If you have a problem in the class and reach out to the teacher for help, you will quickly be known as the "problem parent" and your child will suffer for it. If your child doesn't have any problems and can float along with teachers who are on autopilot, then this may be the right school for them. Good luck!

Posted August 22, 2013
I LOVE Curie Elementary. My daughter completed Kindergarten last year and she had a terrific teacher. She had the right balance of nurturing and sterness. The PTA and parent envolvement at this school is wonderful. I was fortunate to get into Curie by the Choice Program. The Principal is very accessible to parents and keeps the parents current on what is going on.

Posted August 15, 2011
We have completed one year at Curie and I believe it to be a great school, overall. The parents and families are extremely involved at the school which builds a strong community. The PTA strives to make up for the shortfall in the school's budget and helps fund WEEKLY - art, music, PE, science and library and other enrichment activities (special presentations, field trips, etc.). The Principal and our teacher were open to suggestions and followed through with feedback. As with any school choice, the experience will vary greatly on the student/family/teacher combination (i.e. what is good for one student/family might not be good for another). After all, teachers have personalities and are human. My child learned everything they needed to by the end of the year and I was amazed at how much that is for a Kindergarten student! I would HIGHLY encourage all families to have an active role in the classroom as a volunteer, attend PTA meetings (evenings and free childcare is provided) and the monthly coffee chats with the Principal. Curie is a great neighborhood school and the families that attend (and Choice in) strive for the best educational experience possible.

Posted August 13, 2011
Our son just finished K, and we had a wonderful year. Our son is a very spirited child and his teacher handled him wonderfully. He reads and writes well, he creates his own stories and books, ejoys math. We of course work him on a daily basis, but we follow the lead of his daily program - so I pass the credit to his teacher and our Principal. I saw a review slamming the standard testing, etc. Yes that is huge problem but not one that I blame on Currie. Wonder if the parents with concerns are attending the PTA meetins and involved in the shool board meetings. Probably not. No schols is going to be perfect, but I give Curie a huge thumbs up.

Posted June 20, 2011
My son just finished Kinder at Curie. The academic environment was amazing fantastic better than I ever imagined. He was always busy and thinking and creating. Every week there is art, jogging club, music class, science, library, garden visits. He s doing math, he reads very well, he s always writing stories at home and making his own books. He is curious and the school stimulated him. His teachers could have been more nurturing and there was way way too much yelling at students in the classroom. Parents I have spoken with have concerns about her yelling as well. However the teachers are very accessible and will talk openly about your concerns. They took time out to write daily reports which we discussed with our son every night and gave him support and guidance based on his behavior in class. There are field trips to the zoo and to nature preserves. It is a vibrant school community with incredible parent support.

Curie Elementary School 3

Posted June 14, 2011
If your child is doing well, the school is fine. If your child is struggling do not count on help, academically, from the teachers or principal. The school has a very active parent volunteer network - which helps make up for the shortfalls. But some of the teachers are less than communicative with the parents and unwilling to address students struggles or work with parents to improve the child's performance. There's a lot of complacency. I assume because the STAR/CST/API test scores are so high. But that has more to do with the demographics, and less to do with the teaching. I am strongly considering changing my kids to a different school. Curie is not as good as it looks on paper.

Posted June 14, 2011
In my experience, this is a great school. My girl attended only first grade and we loved it. Her teacher was awesome and caring. Parent participation incredible. So sad we had to choice out.

Posted June 13, 2011
Great School. Recommended. So far my daughter had great teachers. Principal is friendly with students & parents. Also helping tranffic control early morning. Teachers are good.

Curie Elementary School
4080 Governor Drive, San Diego, CA  92122
Last modified Curie Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Curie Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top