School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thank you to the Art Moms , who have managed to volunteer to implement the Art Attack program for the whole school! The kids love it!
May 04, 2016

Bad
Good

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted May 04, 2016

What can I say about Dewey other than it is convenient if you live in military housing. It is a school for military kids and the school is a high poverty sponsored organization. The teacher are grumpy and sour faced on a daily basis. A smile and friendly hello wouldn't hurt them every so often. I drag me feet wanting to take my kids to this school. If it weren't for the process of an IEP that took two years to sign papers and initiate, I would have used CHOICE and put my children into a better school. They don't honor their IEP obligations and have yet to start as promised and legally signed to do. Dewey is exactly what you would expect it to be.

Dewey has been quite the disappointment. The staff is friendly and the location is convenient which is why I gave it 2 stars. The PTO and staff need some training on planning. They give very little notice about events and unless you are cliquey, the PTO won't contact you even though you signed up to help. I also rarely saw any of my child's work throughout the year. It wasn't until the last day that we were handed a large folder full of graded papers. Maybe it's rare that parents are actually involved and want to see their children's work but we do and it would've been nice to see what my child maybe was having difficulty with and being able to help. Being handed his work on the last day is pointless. Thankfully, he made good grades, otherwise I would've requested the work. Also, the curriculum is terrible. My child was constantly bored. They learned very little outside of writing, reading and math. They have a library they can't use and there is no art program. My child has been to half a dozen schools in just as many states. This has been the most disappointing experience. If he were to go another year, I'd choice him in elsewhere or homeschool.

We are a military family and have found Dewey to be a fantastic school for our child! Even though there are struggles with funding, they manage to find available resources to improve the quality of education to the students. Our daughter has experienced both 1st and now 2nd grade teachers and they are FANTASTIC!!

This is the second year our child has attended Dewey Elementary and we have absolutely no complaints! The office staff, teachers, volunteers and leadership at this school are very respectful and pleasant to work with. The parents are also very involved with school activities. Dewey is very family oriented and understanding of the military lifestyle, which is very much appreciated in a military community.

This school has one major disadvantage. The office staff. They are rude, dismissive, and unfriendly.

Dewey Elementary School is a special place for children to explore, learn and be challenged with the great teachers, administration and parent organization. It is a special place and a great Elementary school.

No complaints what so ever in regards to the leadership and academic aspect of Dewey. Caring and consistent Teachers as well as a great Principal.

My daughter's teacher is enthusiastic with making sure that she will have the help she needs while attending Dewey to make sure she doesnt "slip through the cracks" like so many children do. The principal is very caring towards the students. My daughter is always happy about the activity that she has at the school on a daily basis.

My family and I just moved to San Diego from Florida. I'm not very impressed by Dewey. In comparison with other schools in Point Loma it isn't very clean and the office staff leaves a lot to be desired. My husband and I found the principal to be very rude and completely unhelpful. She brushed us off when we presented her with our concerns about year round school (which is completely impractical for a school with 90% military families). No one offered to give us a tour of the school. No one bothered to look at my daughters' records from their previous school. The only person who seemed to know what she was doing, the woman who takes care of enrollment, doesn't seem to work at the school full time. And there didn't seem to be much communication between her and the rest of the staff. I asked repeatedly for a school supply list and was never given one. The only reason I'm giving three stars instead of one is I'm hoping our experience with the teachers will be more positive. If you're considering moving to this area, try to get your child into Loma Portal Elementary. It's much cleaner, the staff is friendlier, the principal is knowledgable and their state test scores are better.

Last modified Dewey Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.