Doyle Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 729 students

Our goals are to raise achievement levels of all students.

Posted July 7, 2014

Our son had a great first year of kindergarten. He got along well with his teacher and classmates. It is a very multi-cultural school, which I appreciate and celebrate. The Vice Principal knew my son's name by the end of the school year, not sure if that's good or bad, but you can tell she's very active and involved. Parent involvement is relatively low as far as I can tell, and the PTA does not appear to be very active, or at least not outside of school hours (making it tough for us working parents to attend or even get involved). We'll see what happens over the years, but we'll stick around.

Posted April 7, 2014

This school was simply terrible at Inclusion and any thoughts of it. They have a mod/severe classroom that is like a horror story movie. We were met with obstacles after obstacle, even though our IEP clearly stated that we had been successful in 80% Inclusion. The Spec Ed teacher repeately lied to me about what my sons schedule was, and where he was~ then she would promise it wouldnt happen again. We pulled my son after 4 weeks. So disappointing~

Posted April 2, 2014

Doyle was a miserable experience for our child. While her Kindergarden teacher was delightful, her first grade co-teachers were terrible and have made us rethink our position on how teachers are evaluated. Of course, the principal refused to let her transfer to another class despite our efforts. She would cry almost every day of having to be in her 1st grade class. The 2 teachers with combative, and one of them would say things so inappropriate that we considered filing a complaint with the San Diego Unified School District. Instead, we decided to change school districts so we wouldn't have to ever be a Doyle again. The classes do this "wheel" program where the kids are expected to move from class to class. That's too disruptive!!!! The PTA is awful and as a family of color, we felt as if they didn't want us participating. We heard this from other families who were not in the same 2 block neighborhood as the board members of the PTA. It's more like a social club. They don't do anything to really support the teachers or students. It took our daughter a long time to learn to like school again thanks to the horrible first grade teachers. Awful school! Just awful!

Posted March 15, 2014

Doyle Elementary has high quality teachers, students, and parents. It is a very healthy community from nutritional, cultural, and educational perspectives. Some idiosyncrasies are that there are more children at the lower grade levels and less at higher levels. I believe this is due to the transient nature of many families that are associated with the university spending a few years here for a postdoc or graduate school and then moving on with their careers. I have a 1st grader and 4th grader here and they are progressing nicely despite some serious difficulties along the way. We enjoy our walk to and from school and avoid the traffic circle. Mrs. Barham and Mr. Bailey seem to be working for us.

Posted March 14, 2014

In the past 10 years I've had all three of my oldest kids attend Doyle Elementary. I've had the pleasure of meeting and interacting with The Principal, Ms. Moore, the Vice Principal, the majority of the Teachers and numerous PTA Parent's. They all have shown exceptional performance, attitude, education and good moral. I have one more child that will be starting Elem. in September and I am hoping I can Choice my child in to Doyle. I have had numerous communication with the Administration Staff and the Principal that have bent over backwards to help answer any and all my concerns and questions throughout the years and just recently again in regards to choicing and common core. Reading the recent negative reviews in the last year about the Principal and PTA really disturb me because as a Doyle Parent, Volunteer and Friend I've seen Parents address the Principal and PTA in a really rude manner and then turn things around as if they have been the ones attacked. In my past and present interaction with everyone in Doyle they have always tried their best to do an excellent job, even with those hard to reason parents. Keep up the Great Work Doyle!

Posted November 13, 2013

We just moved here 1yr ago.My son is 1st grader now.After enrolling here ,I just don,t like this school.because it ,s security system is very poor,principal is not co operative.I want him to move another school from weeks after enrolled.but I stop because of his new 1st grade teacher.She is amazing teacher.Mrs Janet engebretsen is very active teacher.She encourage every kid of her class.we really like her.thats why I wants to move from here next school year.PTA is very active and the librarian lady (forgot her name) is also doing great job.Great job Mrs engebretsen.

Posted October 7, 2013

My son moved from another school in Clairemont and wow what a difference. The school is VERY culturally diverse which I really love. The teachers really care about their students and are passionate. My son has Amber Redmerski but she has told us she is temporary until they find a new teacher. I am hoping that they keep her. She is great with my son and always keeps communication open with me especially when my son was not turning in work! Other teachers would turn the cheek and not care if he was not performing to standars but not his teacher. He also has not suffered any bullying in this school, unlike his last school. I am so grateful for Doyle. My only complaint is that the parking situation is horrible. It is a nightmare trying to pick up and drop off. they need a better system.

Posted September 23, 2013

Although there are many great aspects of this school (ie, multicultural environment, good PTA, etc) there are many negative parts of this school. The principal, Kimberly Moore, is almost non-existant. My child is in 2nd grade, and I am at the school every morning. I can count of 1 hand how many times I have seen her with the exception of SOME assembelies . . . she doesn't even show up to those all the time. When I have tried to talk to her she has been very fake and argumentative. I think her lack of self confidence and inexperience shows with the apparent "revolt" of most teachers to even work with her. It is sad that a wonderful school, with the great parents & teachers, is brought down by the principals flaws.

Posted September 6, 2013

Horrible horrible school. That principal, that counselor and a certain 5th grade teacher, nay adult bully, had me going all the way to the school board for their irresponsible treatment of children. Horrible. It's only tolerable if you get one of the few decent teachers. Don't let's get started on the mouthy and self aggrandizing PTA!

Posted April 2, 2013

We pulled our son from this school within 1 month of attending. We were lied to, things were never followed thru on~ it was a terrible experience...

Posted February 7, 2013

got 2 kids there and all teachers and people who work there are really commited to help my kids to learn , we feel so blessed to have our kids here

Posted January 18, 2013

I think most of the teachers at this school are above average or excellent. I think the principal is too inexperienced. You can't expect parents or staff to support you if you are unable to listen to valid, constructive criticism without getting vindicative. And she can be quite vindictive despite her fake smile. Does anyone else notice that there were an awful lot of 5 star reviews posted on Feb 1, 2011? I wish this school the best.

Posted February 2, 2012

I can only speak to the Kindergarten here as my daughter started in September 2011. Her teacher has been there 20 years and she has made the experience wonderful. My daughter has honed her reading, writing, and math skills far above what I would expect of a five year old. I also really like that the stay at home parents are so willing to volunteer in the classroom as both I and my husband have to work - a big thank you to them!! The class is multicultural, with Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Korean, Farsi, and Spanish being spoken by the different children. Being exposed to this many cultures without having to travel is amazing and very educational for the children. I think this is a great school.

Posted May 31, 2011

Doyle Elementary has been a wonderful school for both my daughter who graduated three years ago and my son who is graduating from fifth grade this year. We have been at Doyle now since 2005 when my son started in Kindergarten and we're going to miss all the great teachers, staff, Librarian, Mr. Saipe and Ms. Moore! It's an excellent school with dedicated teachers, vice principal and principal. Doyle has a wonderfully diverse population of students. My children have loved getting to know other children from all over the world and learning new cultures. Doyle is also part of the UC Cluster of schools and the parent involvement is fantastic!

Posted May 29, 2011

Both of my Children attend Doyle Elementary, we move a lot do to my job. I have to say that is school is one of the best schools in the state. Mrs. Vincent and Mr. Deadrick are wonderful teachers. My daughter Shianne 3rd grade LOVES Mrs. Vincent. My wife and i attend all of the schools events and she works hard with Shianne as we just moved here in January and she and Mrs. Vincent has gone out of her way to help Shianne and we just love her. Mr. Deadrick 5th grade is my son Stephens teacher and my son tells me "he is Cool" and both teachers make learning fun. The office staff are wonderful and so helpful. Stephens and Shianne teachers both helped us with field trips do to me being out of work. This is a GREAT SCHOOL!!!

Posted February 1, 2011

We have been very pleased with this school over the last 5 years. We've two children attending this school. From the Principal Mrs.moore to the Vice Principal Mr.Saipe to the teachers and supporting staff , this school is very dedicated toward educating its Students. In addition, the parent participation is outstanding as well. It is truly a safe and wonderful environment with a lot of spirited and great teachers.

Posted February 1, 2011

Doyle Elementary is a school that feels like a true extended family. This school has a wonderful Principal Mrs. Moore and a Dedicated, Enthusiastic, Innovative, Very Motivated and Caring Vice Principal Mr.Saipe. His Enthusiasm and Dedication has a Great effect On all Students, teachers And staff as well.But also an amazingly dedicated Parent body And Volunteers who will go out of their way to help the school in any way possible. Many of these parents manage to find the time and energy to help, despite their jobs and other commitments.

Posted February 1, 2011

My daughter is finishing her 5th grade at Doyle Elementary School. Overall, we are very happy with the school principal and Vice Principal there enthusiasm and dedication has a great effect on us to be part of a beter school. We really like her teachers too. I agree with another parent that said the school has a very good program and up to date renovated class room and teaching equipments.

Posted February 1, 2011

We love this school. The teachers are awsome and we consider it to be the best school ever for us, Our Son now in middle school. But this year we came back to Doyle again for our daughter in kindergarten. The teacheres, staff, vice principal and principal work always closely as a team with all students and they are too involved in every aspect to keep all students on track...

Posted February 1, 2011

I Agree Doyle Elementary Is a Great school in a great community. It is all about involvements and dedication. This school has it all. Good teachers, good supporting staff, and good management team. The school has a very good program and up to date renovated classrooms, and teaching equipments. Way To Go Dolphins. :-)

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students75%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

School start time
  • 7:40 am
School end time
  • 2:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Kimberly Moore
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (858) 455-9486

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Counseling
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Audiovisual aids

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor