San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted July 07, 2014
Our son had a great first year of kindergarten. He got along well with his teacher and classmates. It is a very multi-cultural school, which I appreciate and celebrate. The Vice Principal knew my son's name by the end of the school year, not sure if that's good or bad, but you can tell she's very active and involved. Parent involvement is relatively low as far as I can tell, and the PTA does not appear to be very active, or at least not outside of school hours (making it tough for us working parents to attend or even get involved). We'll see what happens over the years, but we'll stick around.

Posted April 02, 2014
Doyle was a miserable experience for our child. While her Kindergarden teacher was delightful, her first grade co-teachers were terrible and have made us rethink our position on how teachers are evaluated. Of course, the principal refused to let her transfer to another class despite our efforts. She would cry almost every day of having to be in her 1st grade class. The 2 teachers with combative, and one of them would say things so inappropriate that we considered filing a complaint with the San Diego Unified School District. Instead, we decided to change school districts so we wouldn't have to ever be a Doyle again. The classes do this "wheel" program where the kids are expected to move from class to class. That's too disruptive!!!! The PTA is awful and as a family of color, we felt as if they didn't want us participating. We heard this from other families who were not in the same 2 block neighborhood as the board members of the PTA. It's more like a social club. They don't do anything to really support the teachers or students. It took our daughter a long time to learn to like school again thanks to the horrible first grade teachers. Awful school! Just awful!

Posted March 15, 2014
Doyle Elementary has high quality teachers, students, and parents. It is a very healthy community from nutritional, cultural, and educational perspectives. Some idiosyncrasies are that there are more children at the lower grade levels and less at higher levels. I believe this is due to the transient nature of many families that are associated with the university spending a few years here for a postdoc or graduate school and then moving on with their careers. I have a 1st grader and 4th grader here and they are progressing nicely despite some serious difficulties along the way. We enjoy our walk to and from school and avoid the traffic circle. Mrs. Barham and Mr. Bailey seem to be working for us.

Posted March 14, 2014
In the past 10 years I've had all three of my oldest kids attend Doyle Elementary. I've had the pleasure of meeting and interacting with The Principal, Ms. Moore, the Vice Principal, the majority of the Teachers and numerous PTA Parent's. They all have shown exceptional performance, attitude, education and good moral. I have one more child that will be starting Elem. in September and I am hoping I can Choice my child in to Doyle. I have had numerous communication with the Administration Staff and the Principal that have bent over backwards to help answer any and all my concerns and questions throughout the years and just recently again in regards to choicing and common core. Reading the recent negative reviews in the last year about the Principal and PTA really disturb me because as a Doyle Parent, Volunteer and Friend I've seen Parents address the Principal and PTA in a really rude manner and then turn things around as if they have been the ones attacked. In my past and present interaction with everyone in Doyle they have always tried their best to do an excellent job, even with those hard to reason parents. Keep up the Great Work Doyle!

Doyle Elementary School 3

Posted November 13, 2013
We just moved here 1yr ago.My son is 1st grader now.After enrolling here ,I just don,t like this school.because it ,s security system is very poor,principal is not co operative.I want him to move another school from weeks after enrolled.but I stop because of his new 1st grade teacher.She is amazing teacher.Mrs Janet engebretsen is very active teacher.She encourage every kid of her class.we really like her.thats why I wants to move from here next school year.PTA is very active and the librarian lady (forgot her name) is also doing great job.Great job Mrs engebretsen.

Posted October 07, 2013
My son moved from another school in Clairemont and wow what a difference. The school is VERY culturally diverse which I really love. The teachers really care about their students and are passionate. My son has Amber Redmerski but she has told us she is temporary until they find a new teacher. I am hoping that they keep her. She is great with my son and always keeps communication open with me especially when my son was not turning in work! Other teachers would turn the cheek and not care if he was not performing to standars but not his teacher. He also has not suffered any bullying in this school, unlike his last school. I am so grateful for Doyle. My only complaint is that the parking situation is horrible. It is a nightmare trying to pick up and drop off. they need a better system.

Doyle Elementary School 3

Posted September 23, 2013
Although there are many great aspects of this school (ie, multicultural environment, good PTA, etc) there are many negative parts of this school. The principal, Kimberly Moore, is almost non-existant. My child is in 2nd grade, and I am at the school every morning. I can count of 1 hand how many times I have seen her with the exception of SOME assembelies . . . she doesn't even show up to those all the time. When I have tried to talk to her she has been very fake and argumentative. I think her lack of self confidence and inexperience shows with the apparent "revolt" of most teachers to even work with her. It is sad that a wonderful school, with the great parents & teachers, is brought down by the principals flaws.

Posted September 06, 2013
Horrible horrible school. That principal, that counselor and a certain 5th grade teacher, nay adult bully, had me going all the way to the school board for their irresponsible treatment of children. Horrible. It's only tolerable if you get one of the few decent teachers. Don't let's get started on the mouthy and self aggrandizing PTA!

Posted April 02, 2013
We pulled our son from this school within 1 month of attending. We were lied to, things were never followed thru on~ it was a terrible experience...

Posted February 07, 2013
got 2 kids there and all teachers and people who work there are really commited to help my kids to learn , we feel so blessed to have our kids here

Doyle Elementary School
3950 Berino Court, San Diego, CA  92122
Last modified Doyle Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Doyle Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top