Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I am a parent of grade K and spending very miserable year (a few months to go). We have decided to spend some money to move out from this school district. Doyle is an almost jokingly disorganised place. Lack of respect from the principal , especially. She did not take any responsibility yet have enormous self-esteem. So if you have the other option, I highly recommend that one over Doyle for your precious kids. Although it is rated 9/10, it is very likely that the rating will be decreased over coming years because we have received the letter from the school district explained how the elementary failed to meet their expectation in the 2014-2015 academic year. The only bright side was vice principal who has already moved. I believe there are some decent teachers but overall the quality is not impressing at all.

This ( 2014- 2015) was our first and last year at Doyle, and we have mixed feelings about the school. Our child had an unusual experience of having three different teachers and quite a few substitute teachers throughout the year. One co-teacher took a leave of absence to get a surgery, another quit because of "moral and ethical issues" with the principal. The third teacher who was a substitute teacher became the full time teacher from March onward. There were many days when they had a substitute for the substitute teacher. Imagine how disruptive it is for a six year old to be exposed to different styles of teaching and expectations on how to behave in a classroom and how to do your classwork. On the whole, my child and most of the children in this class had a rough year.

Although the teachers are great in our experience, the principal Kimberly Moore and other members of the management are clearly lacking compassion and vision for the school. Perhaps after a change of the principal, its quality might improve. There are also no ways to have a review of the policies of the school through the 'Quality Assurance Office' since all routes lead back to the principal. A truly impartial external review board would be welcome.

Develops character: Disagree

There have been safety issues at school which were not addressed in a timely fashion, even after trying to converse with the principal, Kimberly Moore. It seems that politics were dictating policy.

This is our first and will be our last year at Doyle, it was a horrible experience. I do not recommend this school if you have a child with special needs. Special day class is more of a daycare, my child lost a whole academic year. Resource specialist is a rude lady who seems not to like her job. The staff in my child's classroom, are not trained or motivated. The Principal was very disappointing and non professional. However the vice principal was very sweet and understanding she is more involved with students and parents. This is my neighborhood school, very disappointed it was definitely not what I expected. Excited and relieved to switch schools with a more experienced and positive administration.

Doyle Elementary is an Excellent school! I love the diversity. The Principal and Vice Principal are very friendly and also very interactive. For being here for two years now the teachers have been really involved in the students well being and academics. My child loves Doyle. I would definetely recommend Doyle Elementary.

Our son had a great first year of kindergarten. He got along well with his teacher and classmates. It is a very multi-cultural school, which I appreciate and celebrate. The Vice Principal knew my son's name by the end of the school year, not sure if that's good or bad, but you can tell she's very active and involved. Parent involvement is relatively low as far as I can tell, and the PTA does not appear to be very active, or at least not outside of school hours (making it tough for us working parents to attend or even get involved). We'll see what happens over the years, but we'll stick around.

Doyle was a miserable experience for our child. While her Kindergarden teacher was delightful, her first grade co-teachers were terrible and have made us rethink our position on how teachers are evaluated. Of course, the principal refused to let her transfer to another class despite our efforts. She would cry almost every day of having to be in her 1st grade class. The 2 teachers with combative, and one of them would say things so inappropriate that we considered filing a complaint with the San Diego Unified School District. Instead, we decided to change school districts so we wouldn't have to ever be a Doyle again. The classes do this "wheel" program where the kids are expected to move from class to class. That's too disruptive!!!! The PTA is awful and as a family of color, we felt as if they didn't want us participating. We heard this from other families who were not in the same 2 block neighborhood as the board members of the PTA. It's more like a social club. They don't do anything to really support the teachers or students. It took our daughter a long time to learn to like school again thanks to the horrible first grade teachers. Awful school! Just awful!

Doyle Elementary has high quality teachers, students, and parents. It is a very healthy community from nutritional, cultural, and educational perspectives. Some idiosyncrasies are that there are more children at the lower grade levels and less at higher levels. I believe this is due to the transient nature of many families that are associated with the university spending a few years here for a postdoc or graduate school and then moving on with their careers. I have a 1st grader and 4th grader here and they are progressing nicely despite some serious difficulties along the way. We enjoy our walk to and from school and avoid the traffic circle. Mrs. Barham and Mr. Bailey seem to be working for us.

In the past 10 years I've had all three of my oldest kids attend Doyle Elementary. I've had the pleasure of meeting and interacting with The Principal, Ms. Moore, the Vice Principal, the majority of the Teachers and numerous PTA Parent's. They all have shown exceptional performance, attitude, education and good moral. I have one more child that will be starting Elem. in September and I am hoping I can Choice my child in to Doyle. I have had numerous communication with the Administration Staff and the Principal that have bent over backwards to help answer any and all my concerns and questions throughout the years and just recently again in regards to choicing and common core. Reading the recent negative reviews in the last year about the Principal and PTA really disturb me because as a Doyle Parent, Volunteer and Friend I've seen Parents address the Principal and PTA in a really rude manner and then turn things around as if they have been the ones attacked. In my past and present interaction with everyone in Doyle they have always tried their best to do an excellent job, even with those hard to reason parents. Keep up the Great Work Doyle!

Last modified Doyle Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.