No rating

Farb Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 728 students

We are proud to be the District’s only all-AVID middle school.

Living in San Diego

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $385,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,000.

Posted August 14, 2014

We moved my son from Rio Seco school in Santee to get away from bully issues. My son was severely depressed and his academics suffered. The students and staff welcomed us in an my son became an honor student he has a tight group of a dozen friends and his outlook is promising. This is an Avid demonstration school and I feel these students are better prepared for the future.

Posted November 8, 2013

We are moving and I want to take this school with us. Too many parents choice their kids out instead of having them go to neighborhood schools right around where we live. I chose to have them go to their neighborhood school - Farb Middle School. I have two boys with totally different needs. I have a son with disabilities and needs extra help and to be in classes that fit him. Then I have a son who needs to be challenged. He is in 6 grade and is in pre-algebra and has a 97% in class and is challenged. I love all the teachers my children have had. I love the staff here at Farb. Mrs. Anita in the front is amazing. She has a warm smile and loves the students that walk in to see her. But all the office staff care about the students and their needs. The key is opening your mouth, no one can read minds. Be active. Principal, Mrs. Rizzo cares so much about each of the children at school. When she says her door is always open she means it. This school has many clubs - Club Hero, Bully Buster, Chess, Homework Club, Science Club, Robotics, Support Group, Book Club, and an Art Club and an after school program called Primetime. Mr. Ivan is great. Farb Middle school is WONDERFUL.

Posted October 24, 2013

This is a small school so the ratio of student teacher is great. The teachers are all friendly and easy to contact in case I need to speak with them. I like that they are an AVID school.

Posted July 8, 2013

Farb has been an eye opener for me. We are a military family and I thought this would be a plus as the school is located near military housing and it's close enough for my daughter to walk every day. The school definitely needs updating, and from the outside looks like a prison. I will say the teachers have been communicative and let me know that my daughter's grades slipped, but I really have to take time and stay on things myself. As a parent of a child who has struggled academically, I take my share of the blame and am willing to do whatever it takes to help my child succeed and it really helps when a teacher is also committed to helping your child succeed. Most of the teachers there are pretty decent people who are just overworked and over run with way too many kids. And the kids there...my goodness, I don't know how they are able to come to school with dirty clothing, looking so very unkempt, obviously in need of attention, so they do whatever it takes to get that attention in school. I'm probably going to enroll my daughter in a charter or private school, but I really can't say anything terrible about the teachers. Just the environment itself is "hood".

Posted March 4, 2013

In reviewing Farb Middle School for an option for a middle school, had to give it a pass. Although it has nice athletic fields, we were not impressed with the student body that attend there. They were: obnoxious, slovenly dressed, mostly minorities bused in from other areas.The school had an overall prison feel about it. Very dated, with old stucco, stencil signage, and concrete as far as the eye can see. Public school at it's worst! I was also not impressed with the teachers, who appear to be doing just enough to get their chin over the bar, and collect their pensions. We have many options for schooling in 92124, if you want a safe, inspiring, place for your kids to learn and grow - scratch this concrete jungle off your list.

Posted August 23, 2012

My son excelled because of the awesome teachers at Farb! This school is nothing like the other BUT this school is fantastic in its own right. Don't hesitate to enroll your children at this school.

Posted August 7, 2011

I am a student at farb middle school and im in 7th grade there is some inapropriate language but were middle schoolers what do you except. But i've moved here from the south coast. and i know alot more than this school and i never get H.w from any of my classes except for reading. This you should concider

Posted July 20, 2011

My daughter, who transfered mid-year 7th grade, was recognized by her teacher to need a better math class! She is now a 3.8 GPA student in honors classes. I can not say enough positive things about her teachers and Mrs. Levy, the principal, and Mr Neil the VP. They are amazing, and like family! And in only a year and a half.

Posted May 23, 2011

Horrible.. horrible.. horrible!! The bullying at Farb is out of control. There is not enough staff to keep an eye on the kids and when a child who is bullied happens to stand up for themselves they are the ones who are disciplined. They are more worried about public displays of affection and who is wearing drooping pants then actually taking the time to suspend the bullies. I wish we would have CHOICED our child to DePortola when we had the chance. Oh and the offenders are the kids that get bussed in from the low income areas who are rude and their language is disgusting. Welcome to San Diego people and good luck if your child happens to attend Farb. You will need it!

Posted March 17, 2011

My daughter has attended Farb middle for the past 3 years.Farb middle has definately made an impact on my daughters performance and development . The farb staff and teachers have been instrumental in my daughters outlook on education! I am thankful that the teachers care about education and do not give up, while undergoing district changes. If i had to change anything about the schoold would be the time school starts but other than it is a great school and you should definately consider it.

Posted February 2, 2011

At the beginning of the school year I was quite impressed with the staff and their ability to do a good job of not only teaching the kids, but also keeping them safe. Since coming back from winter break my views have definitely changed. The bullying is at an all time high and the staff is unable to stop it. They turn a blind eye and allow pushing, hitting and name calling t occur. The staff is more concerned with boys and girls hugging and holding hands than preventing kids getting beat up. Then if you want a meeting with the principal or vice principal GOOD LUCK. My advice to any parent who is moving to the area try and CHOICE your child to a different school.

Posted March 25, 2010

My son went to school at Farb, he was an average student until he was introduced to AVID(Advancement Via Individual Determination). My son's grades improves instantly, the teachers at this school are concerned with the achievement of each student and are caring.The principal Mrs. L. was more than just a principal to my son, she was a person that he admired, she helped me with my parenting skills as she gave me tools to be a better parent. Any child that wants to learn at this school will. Farb is a great place to cultivate young minds...this school was/is a blessing for my son. Without Farb instructions my son would not have won the $5000.00 Padre Scholarship that he has. FARB is a great school.

Posted September 25, 2009

Farb Middle has a big problem with bullying and needs so much more improvement when it comes to faculty involvement. The faculty at Farb blame the parents and students for all the bullying and problems they face everyday. But the problem is with the staff. I have seen, as a parent better qualified faculty/staff in other schools systems that do so much better a job of handling any kind of problems that comes up. And these schools have a much better ratio of all around better grades and achievement. And this is due to an awesome faculty support system.

Posted December 18, 2008

Lack of communication between staff and teachers, staff and parents, and teachers and parents. I've tried to move my child, but the waiting list is too long for the other school. This is the worst school that I have ever had to put up with.

Posted December 18, 2008

Poor leadership Poor communication skills The teachers don't care enough to even have sports. This school is overall, terrible.

Posted November 9, 2008

I am a student in Farb, I am in only 6h grade in my 8th week I think and I am already being challenged beyond anything I will ever do in middle school. I am in all advanced classes, band, and the Principal Leadership council, and am a slightly popular student, Farb helps me to balance everything without me having to miss important information or tests. The safety of the school is at an all time low, I confess, but the PLC and I are aware of this and are fixing it. The school is a completely fine school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 29, 2007

Matters at this school are not addressed!!!! This school does not cooperate with parents. Teachers, substitutes and even the principal do not properly and effectively address my concerns about my child's well being, grades, and mistakes are constant!

Posted October 12, 2006

The staff at Farb are very motivated about the 'AVID' program, which is a good thing. Even if the kids aren't the type to jump on board with the program, they'll benefit simply from the added energy from the teachers. Unfortunately, Farb seems to have followed the role of Serra High by joining some program that brings in troubled kids from other school districts. The result ... they're drowning in troublemakers. Even if it's only a few kids, the few that cause problems soak up too much of the attention and time from the staff.

Posted May 5, 2006

This school has a lack of parent involvement and limited extra-curricular activities.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted December 24, 2005

My 7th grade son started in the fall of 2005, and at first had some trouble with most all of his classes. As the year has progressed he has gotten much better and the teachers seem to have more concern with his learning. I have been kind of disappointed with the fact that classes run almost 2 hours long and yet some of my sons teachers seem to fly through their material with little regard to if the child is fully understanding the material completely. Also, the band program does not seem to judge each child on his/her ability but on the entire instrument section. Parent involvement seems to be high.

The API reflects year-over-year schools performance based on STAR test score results from spring 2012.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2012

Change from
2011 to 2012

+40

Change from 2011 to 2012
Comparing the API Growth to the Base shows whether or not this school's test score performance improved between Spring 2011 and Spring 2012. The API ranges between 200 and 1000, with 800 as the statewide goal for all schools. Schools scoring below an 800 are given at least a 5 point target for the next year.
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 4%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Dutch
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • AVID National Demonstration School (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Dutch

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:45 am
School end time
  • 3:35 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Courtney Rizzo
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (858) 576-0931

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• AVID
  • Gifted / high performing
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Arts (all)
  • Music
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Parent center

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student council/government
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor