Posted October 29, 2014
This is my neighborhood school, and I am so happy that we decided to attend Gage! Prior to enrolling my daughter in the new Spanish Immersion program last year and actually getting to know the parents, staff, and students, I was wary of Gage. I had heard negative things about it from people whose children do not/did not even attend the school. It seems worth noting as well that when a person has a perceived negative experience, he/she is MUCH more likely to head online and write about it than when one has a positive experience. Over the past year I have spent quite a bit of time in various classrooms and gotten to know many of the students and teachers, and I have only ever witnessed thoughtful instruction, thorough lesson plans, and engaging classroom environments. I also appreciate that Gage is more ethnically and socioeconomically diverse than some of the surrounding schools; it seems as well that the immersion program is bringing together students from around the district and neighboring districts who otherwise may not get to interact.

Posted April 18, 2014
My son now in first grade has been attending since kindergarten. The staff is amazing... they really seem to care about their students. I am very proud to have my child attend Gage, it is a great place for him to begin his academic experience.

Posted February 09, 2014
I am very impressed with the progress and growth I have seen at Gage. My daughter has been at Gage since Kindergarten of 2008 and I must say that tremendous changes have taken place. Their Spanish immersion program seems to be very successful and I am excited to have my son start Kindergarten there in the fall.

Gage Elementary School 4

Posted December 09, 2013
My son is now in 2nd grade and my daughter just started the new Spanish Immersion Kindergarten. I love it and my kids love it too. Running Club is great to teach kids healthy habits. Teachers have been good so far, available and enthusiastic. There are various after school programs (art, soccer, basketball, martial art, mad science) for those who can afford it. And the PTA is working on getting a free after-school Glee Club. Parent Involvement is getting better each year.

Posted August 16, 2013
Scores are improving every year. Great principal, fantastic teachers and a fun productive PTA. We transferred from Benchley and glad we made the change.

Posted August 13, 2013
We moved into this school from another when my son was in Kindergarten. Now he will be starting second grade. It was the best move we could have made for our son. Principal is present at the events. She is very interactive with the students and always makes time to talk to parents. We have been happy with the teachers he has had. He is learning a lot and doing very well in the run club the school provides every morning.

Posted March 31, 2013
Our family has been in Gage for almost 10 years and every year gets better and better. Our two children have had excellent test-scores through the years, been in art, music, dance & gardening clubs at Gage and have been taught by some of the most caring, creative teachers San Diego can offer. We love the warmth and community feel of Gage's campus and together with the dynamic principal, tireless custodians, energetic PTA and patient teachers our family has completely flourished in our many years in Gage Elementary! We HIGHLY recommend this school!!!

Posted March 25, 2013
I have been pleasantly surprised by Gage. I had heard some negatives from people, but haven't found any of them to hold true. My daughter has gone to Gage since kindergarden and each teacher she has had so far is excellent. They each have a lot of experience, seem to really enjoy their job and are easy to talk to. She has excelled so far and I am happy with the education she is receiving. My son is in the new transitional kindergarten and the teacher and principal have been very helpful working with me as it has been a big change for him. I'm very excited to enroll my now 2 year old in the new Spanish immersion program when he is old enough. I also really like how many programs are available during and after school. My kids both enjoy the running club every morning which has just become part of our morning routine and I think it will benefit them forever. There is a diverse group of students that attend which I like. I think it allows the kids to learn about and embrace each others' differences rather than end up becoming prejudiced because someone looks or talks differently.

Posted March 25, 2013
Great School! The principal, teachers, parents and students all make up a wonderful educational community. We feel lucky to have this school in our community.

Posted March 24, 2013
This is not just a school, it is a source of support, friendship and community. Every teacher we have encountered so far (4th year there) has been outstanding and the least senior teacher on campus has been there over 15 years! The principal is very engaged and knows every child on campus as well as many of the parents. The PTA is strong and open to new opinions, ideas and members....not the stuffed-up group you see at other schools. The campus is nice and clean with gardens that the kids can harvest fruits and veggies from to take home to their families. There are also always amazing PTA sponsored and teacher-lead events that I have never heard of at other schools...the 1st graders went whale watching!! Before you listen to the opinions of people who have never cared enough to see Gage for themselves, take the time to tour and meet some parents and faculty. You will NOT be disappointed. Also, if this is your neighborhood school, remember the benefits of living near your child's classmates. It is a priceless sense of belonging and safety to know that the people in your community are there if you need them.

Gage Elementary School
6811 Bisby Lake Drive, San Diego, CA  92119
Last modified Gage Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gage Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top