Posted September 11, 2014
My older son started Kindergarten at Hardy Elementary last year. He did the TK program at a scool in C.V. the year before and was so stressed that he had night terrors every night. The teachers there were always late and there was no supervision of the children before or after school. When we started at Hardy, I was immediately impressed by the parent and teacher involvement. My son's night terrors stopped completely. My youngers son is now in Kinder and I am now a board member on the PTA. For parents who feel their work schedule is not accommodated, I invite and encourage you to send a note in your child's folder addressed to the PTA because we listen. We're here to serve you. Our meetings are now at 7:50 or 8:15 in the morning. We don't exclude and we certainly are not here to judge. The teachers are caring and respond to any concerns a parent expresses. The staff knows all the children by name. Academically, our students are doing very well. We have a PrimeTime afterschool program that helps children with homework. If tutoring is necessary, I encourage parents to speak up at a PTA meeting to see if we can start a tutoring system. Let's work together for our kids!

Hardy Elementary School 3

Posted August 28, 2014
I wanted to love it. My child attended his first few years of school here. I found this past year to be an improvement over prior; the new principal is much more approachable and brought fresh perspective. My child's teacher was GREAT, but understandably overwhelmed by the large class size,which makes it hard to give some students the extra help they need. I didn't think there was enough supervision on the playground, especially among the younger kids, some who still need guidance and help making friends. A few incidents occured that I found somewhat alarming and preventable. Sadly, my other issue was that the school does not accommodate the schedule of a working parent, should we wish to volunteer or join PTA. The weekly meetings were at 5 or 6 making it impossible to attend. I helped when I could but often felt judged by PTA moms and staff. More than once, a certain office staff member made hurtful, inappropriate remarks to me like "Oh I expected dad to pick up (my child). I NEVER see mom." I struggle with working moms guilt as it is and for some of us working is a necessity, not a choice. Bottom line: good school academically, but my child never really felt welcome nor did I.

Posted August 26, 2014
We have had great experiences over the years at Hardy and are looking forward to another wonderful year. We have repeatedly seen Hardy parents get involved and work with our dedicated staff to make Hardy a warm, safe place for the children as well as a rigorous learning environment.

Posted August 26, 2014
I have 2 children at Hardy- we have been there for 5 yrs now & have been very happy with our children's experiences there! They both love school & have loved their teachers and the school overall. It is a small, diverse school with a wonderful school community and fantastic caring teachers. I am impressed with the testing scores given the number of children with ESL students they are still very competitive. There are many after school activities available mileage club (a running/walking program) before school and a school garden program. They also have 2 different after school care programs. It is not perfect, but no school is and I think they work hard to create a safe, nurturing, environment that fosters learning for children.

Posted August 25, 2014
I have 2 children in Hardy. We started 5 years ago and have been extremely happy ever since. The staff is caring and amazing with kids. It's nice to go to a school where most of thel adults know your child's name (it makes them feel accountable for their actions and a sense of community, knowing that they are noticed and looked after). I come from a small town and this is how it feels! This is a very kind, considerate and dedicated staff, intent on educating world citizens of many different cultures. Hardy is in the process of upgrading all of the school equipment so it might look a little dusty at the moment. But look beyond the dust and you will find a little gem of a school!

Posted August 25, 2014
I LOVE this school. I moved my oldest son to Hardy from another local school where he was not doing well. The teachers and staff at Hardy did a wonderful job working with us and my son. My youngest son is still a Hardy student and we will miss the school, teachers and staff when he moves on after this year to middle school. I have especially enjoyed being apart of the Mileage Club program and am thrilled to be running it this coming school year. I had not seen a program like this before coming to Hardy.

Hardy Elementary School 1

Posted June 03, 2013
To the parent post from March 2 2013- if you are referring the lunatic parents who want to protect children from teacher bullying that has occurred at this school and also within SDUSD and want the district to enforce policies that are in place to protect children, then you are referring this parent as well. If you want to attend a school where teachers and administration "pretend" things like teacher bullying have not occurred, then this is the school for you. If you enjoy having your child attend a school where only 78% of the student population were proficient or advance in Math and LA, then Hardy is the school for you. Ask the current admin at Hardy how they were able to obtain a Distinguished School Award when the school did not meet the Hardy SSC academic achievement goal of 81% the previous years? To future parents shopping for a school, read SARC reports, and ASK QUESTIONS!!!

Posted February 16, 2012
I have read some of these reviews and they are quite scathing. There are a lot of buzz words such as "mean" and "bullying" etc. I didn't see anything specific that would cause me to be alarmed. One comment in particular that caught my attention was that the principal was "unethical." That is a huge accusation to say about someone. I don't know the principal very well but she seems very sincere and eager to hear what parents have to say. I wonder if any of these unhappy parents dealt directly with the "problem" teachers? My son got off on the wrong foot with a teacher in middle school. He got stomach aches and didn't want to go to school. We met with the teacher and i helped facilitate the breakdown in communication between them. He gained a better understanding of what was expected for this class. I gave my son the opportunity and skills to take charge of a situation. I didn't fight his battle for him. Now my son is doing great in his class and he has found they have a common interest in Aztec basketball. Many parents think this would make it worse for the child but what message are we sending our kids if we don't first start with the problem head-on?

Hardy Elementary School 1

Posted January 20, 2012
I was a student at this school and was bullied by a TEACHER who screamed at kids, told our class to shut up, threw things across the room, and humiliated kids for not knowing things or forgetting their homework. Most of my teachers were great but this one was really, really, really bad. I can't believe that adults won't do something about it! I can't believe that the adults think nothing bad is going on.

Posted January 17, 2012
First hand knowledge of the wonderful staff at this school has led me to write this review. The children in my family have all had a wonderful experiences here that are reflected in their success in later years. Last weeks editorial sums it all up. Good teachers help our children thrive. How lucky any child is to spend their elementary years at Hardy. Kudos to this wonderful little school.

Hardy Elementary School