School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

A great teaching staff overall, and wonderful parent involvement. The school has a family feeling to it.
May 12, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

My children have all attended and are currently attending Hardy. Hardy was great staff, teachers, and PTA involvement. It also has great support from the SDSU community.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted May 12, 2016

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The staff at this school, on a whole, do not not model honesty, integrity or fairness and do not encourage these qualities in their students.

I've been at this school off and on the past 13 years. I have seen the parents interpretation of the school change, not the teachers. This is a great school with dedicated teachers that want to make our future better. Unfortunately some parents are too weak to be parents and letting their kids decide what they need, therefore, no parenting. I see such good teachers in tears because of you parents. Your children have to be accountable for their own actions. Quit making excuses and be a freaking parent. It's the most important job you have.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

There is a mixed bag. May are very effective and passionate about teaching, a couple are very ineffective.

My child was a student at Hardy Elementary from Kindergarten to 4th grade. Our early experience there was great, my child had some excellent teachers and developed some great friendships. A change in leadership has changed the general tone of the school, which has progressively gone downhill. Now there is too much emphasis on standardized testing. The administration does a poor job handing bullies and "behaviorally challenged" children. Not only have they allowed routine violence and unfettered bullying to go on, escalations to try to resolve the issues fall on deaf ears. Escalations to the district, garner the involvement of a QA parent liaison department who barely read your compliant and their only level of investigating is publishing the administrations excuses and inaccurate defense, never interviewing the victim, witnesses, etc (taxpayer dollars hard at work). If you don't mind being in a class where bullies are not only free to act aggressively, but if you complain they are given more access to your child, this is the place for you. If you understand that not all published policies such as bullying and zero tolerance policies are followed, and you don't mind the random application of these policies, you will be fine here. If your child is distracted by, or bothered by constant violent outbursts including regular use of profanity, disrespectful yelling, kicking of doors and furniture, and actual fights in the classroom and on campus this setting would NOT be a good choice for you. On the other hand, If your child happens to have behavior challenges and you have given up and just wish the school would quit calling you and scheduling meetings that interrupt your workday, this is an ideal placement for you! It's too bad that the excellent teachers and good community of involved parents are overshadowed by poor administration, who are more interested in ignoring bullying and protecting their bureaucratic status quo, than providing a safe learning environment for the majority of children that come to school eager to learn! Not to mention, the disservice they are doing to the bullies by not providing a more appropriate learning environment that might provide for some academic progression, something currently missing.

My oldest son who is now in Middle school went there and had a fine experience up until he was in 5th grade. Rather than teaching the class important lessons, or preparing the kids for Middle school each student had an iPad which they would play games on, watch videos, and listen to Pandora. Often times the students just did what they wanted. Shortly after the teacher started having "health" issues and one day decided to walk out on the class leaving the students unsupervised for the last few minutes of school. This happened in February of 2014 and I never found out about it up until mid April 2014, when I overheard my son and another student talking about it. Then I noticed that there were several substitute teachers changing throughout and then finally about 2 months before the school year ended there was a letter sent home from the principle, telling me that the teacher had been on medical leave and that they finally have a steady sub for the remainder of the school year. The PTA is great, Parent involvement is great, most of the teacher are great, the principle is unapproachable and not a good communicator.

My older son started Kindergarten at Hardy Elementary last year. He did the TK program at a scool in C.V. the year before and was so stressed that he had night terrors every night. The teachers there were always late and there was no supervision of the children before or after school. When we started at Hardy, I was immediately impressed by the parent and teacher involvement. My son's night terrors stopped completely. My youngers son is now in Kinder and I am now a board member on the PTA. For parents who feel their work schedule is not accommodated, I invite and encourage you to send a note in your child's folder addressed to the PTA because we listen. We're here to serve you. Our meetings are now at 7:50 or 8:15 in the morning. We don't exclude and we certainly are not here to judge. The teachers are caring and respond to any concerns a parent expresses. The staff knows all the children by name. Academically, our students are doing very well. We have a PrimeTime afterschool program that helps children with homework. If tutoring is necessary, I encourage parents to speak up at a PTA meeting to see if we can start a tutoring system. Let's work together for our kids!

I wanted to love it. My child attended his first few years of school here. I found this past year to be an improvement over prior; the new principal is much more approachable and brought fresh perspective. My child's teacher was GREAT, but understandably overwhelmed by the large class size,which makes it hard to give some students the extra help they need. I didn't think there was enough supervision on the playground, especially among the younger kids, some who still need guidance and help making friends. A few incidents occured that I found somewhat alarming and preventable. Sadly, my other issue was that the school does not accommodate the schedule of a working parent, should we wish to volunteer or join PTA. The weekly meetings were at 5 or 6 making it impossible to attend. I helped when I could but often felt judged by PTA moms and staff. More than once, a certain office staff member made hurtful, inappropriate remarks to me like "Oh I expected dad to pick up (my child). I NEVER see mom." I struggle with working moms guilt as it is and for some of us working is a necessity, not a choice. Bottom line: good school academically, but my child never really felt welcome nor did I.

We have had great experiences over the years at Hardy and are looking forward to another wonderful year. We have repeatedly seen Hardy parents get involved and work with our dedicated staff to make Hardy a warm, safe place for the children as well as a rigorous learning environment.

Last modified Hardy Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.