San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Hawthorne Elementary School 4

Posted June 07, 2013
My child attended the seminar program here, coming from another school that was rated "10" by greatschools.net. Hawthorne has a great seminar program, and this significantly improves the performance of the rest of the school. If your kid is an average student and is not in the seminar program, then you may want to look elsewhere. The fantastic seminar program is keeping this school alive - the regular academic programs are exceptionally weak. Parent involvement (outside of the seminar program) is ZERO.

Posted December 03, 2012
I pulled my sons from a GreatSchools "10" to go to Hawthorne in their Seminar Program. They went from being bored and underachieving to thriving and loving school. I love that the school is smaller than most elementary schools in San Diego, and that it's economically and racially diverse. Most of all - I love that my kids LOVE school again.

Posted February 10, 2012
We had two of our kids attended the Seminar program at Hwathorne. I have to drive 15 miles one way to school everyday to Hawthorne and its well worth it. At the old school, my son always came home crying and bruised up. Nobody knew what happened at school, neither his teacher nor the YMCA after school coordinator. My daughter was also having problem with attention disorder at her old school. Several request to have a conference with her teacher went to deaf ears. Both of them were enrolled at Hawthorne Seminar program and have developed into two very good students. Mrs Sherman and Mrs Smith both are terrific at nurturing my kids, behaviorally and educationally.

Hawthorne Elementary School 2

Posted February 09, 2012
My daughter has been coming here since the 1st grade. She is now 1/2 way done with the fifth grade. The first prinipal was wonderful. About 3 years ago she retired and we received a new and young principal, Kimberly Lopez. Since then the school has been in shambles. Overcrowding, lowered test scores, bullying problems just to name a few. This school has been overcrowded with problem children who clearly have behavioral issues. My daughters class room has almost 40 people and the principal does nothing about it. She had a wonderful teacher prior who helped her with so much then at the 2nd month of the year the teacher left. She is dragging the students and school down and I hope she gets fired or resigns. She is very rude and incompetent as an effective leader, she has no initiative.

Posted April 16, 2011
This school does a terrific job teaching everyone from non-English speakers to Seminar students. It is a small school with a friendly community feeling. The teachers overall are excellent. My one criticism is that the parent involvement is low. That needs to be changed!

Hawthorne Elementary School 3

Posted June 20, 2009

Posted June 02, 2009
I am shocked by the 2 preschool reviews! Those comments should not affect the score of the actual Elementary School. I have never been so pleased with a School, my Son is in the Seminar program and his Teacher Ms. Smith is Tops in my book..

Hawthorne Elementary School 1

Posted April 20, 2009
The preschool is not the best. My sons belongings were trashed! No respect. they have no consideration or respect for the parent. Very poor communication bet. teacher and parent. Administration is just as bad.

Hawthorne Elementary School 1

Posted March 10, 2009
My son went to preschool here. Poor communication between parent and teacher. The Principal doesn't even get close to being involved.

Hawthorne Elementary School 4

Posted August 28, 2007

Hawthorne Elementary School
4750 Lehrer Drive, San Diego, CA  92117
Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top