Bad
Good

Lewis has all the perfect ingredients to be an amazing middle school, except for parent involvement. The Principal simply rocks. He has the perfect energy and enthusiasm, the right level of cool with the kids during the incredibly difficult pre-teen/early teen years, yet has their respect and commands with ease. He is the biggest advocate for the children and a true gem as a principal. The teachers in our experience have been terrific. They are committed, and put a lot of effort into the lessons. I focus my complains towards the district and the public education system that is making teachers try to fit everyone into the same box. In spite of that, I've seen teachers instill the critical thinking skills that kids need and keep them engaged. I've been super impressed with the teachers on every one of my interactions with them. The Music teacher is dynamite! His involvement with the band and orchestra programs is outstanding. The groups advocating for the children in the school (ASB and the Foundation) are great as well. And then I ask - Where are all the parents? Where is the community? Specially during this stage (11-14 Yo) where the kids are, what I see is a hands-off approach from a lot of parents. And that lack of support limits what the school can offer and how far it can go and keep growing in quality programs and experiences for the children.

A bit much to say the least. They offer after school Prime-time, which is great. As a working parent, the last thing i want to do after working 8 long hours, is come home and sit for hours on end to do tons of homework. They do have laptops with internet, for 6th graders which is great. On the flip side it gives them endless internet access which if you can imagine. Every time my sons misses 3 homework assignments he gets taken out of class to call me and let me know that he has 3 strikes... I think it would be a better idea if the teacher would allow for him to just work on the assignment, stay in class and listen to the lesson, and maybe email me if she thinks my son is behind. My son says he likes it, but i'm not thrilled to tell people "hey bring your kids here, and have tons of homework every night, every weekends.,

Compared to Hearst, a feeder school, the teacher quality drops but they do increase the volume of mindless homework and cryptic grading systems.

My son is in the seminar program and his seminar teacher is wonderful. She emails me / calls with any issues/problems/etc for my son. Nowadays when people are so busy and not always able to meet with teachers it's nice to know that we get little reminders or just updates via email. Parent connection is great too!! Thank you Mrs Maier for your dilegence and love for your job.

Maybe a n OK school, but not for my son. My son was in the seminar program. I had to call, email teachers 5 times before I could elicit any response from them, I finally just started showing up unannounced after school, that worked pretty well, by the way... I had one teacher tell me not to worry, because I was an involved parent my son would get a good grade. Personally I'd rather my son EARN his grade good or bad and own that grade. My son is at a charter school this year and having an exceptional year. Be involved schools are not one size fit all...

I have 3 kids that have attended Lewis, some years have been harder to get through then others. It really does depend on your child and how they communicate with you. Lewis is a big believer in letting the kids tell their parents if they are struggling. I disagree with that. Overall I think it is a 'good' school.

i love everything about this school, my kid needs extra support and this school gives just that!

The teachers are excellent and have a real commitment to helping children to succeed. It is easy for parents to become involved if they are interested and to get information when they need it. It would be better if they had an after school sports programs and more clubs. It seems to be one of the safer middle schools when talking with friends who have students at other schools.

This school has gone down hill over the years. I have three children that have all gone to Lewis. I'm finding that there is no help for children that are performing low. But if you child is a high performed and doesn't need additional help you should be ok.

Last modified Lewis Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.