Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I'm astonished at the negative comments (which IMHO seem to reflect personality flaws of the complainers). I've taught school in Israel, USA, Japan and China, including Montessori school in the US. Very very impressed with this school, an amazing example of a public school that beats so many private schools. Our girl has really learned Spanish, spoken and written, and also Math, social studies, science. Excellent relations between different ethnicities. And may I mention the events, which are SPECTACULAR!

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

If you are an active parent in this school, they will bend over backwards for you. If you are depending on the teachers, staff, and administration, they are some of the most ineffective in the SDUSD school district.

Develops character: Disagree

All the children with parents who are active tend to get favoritism. This school gets its funding from children who bus in from other home districts, yet treats most of those children unfairly because there is a high percentage of minorities.

This school doesn't have any funding for tutors. So if you have a low performing child, be prepared for the school to place all blame on the parents. I wish this school would use funding to help the children instead of a multitude of field trips. I'm glad we are taking our children out! Not so many years ago, we received notice that Longfellow was a failing school and we had the option to transfer. We should have seen the writing on the walls.

We have a First and Third grader. We are super happy with all of our teachers thus far. The community is also fantastic. We feel that the education is amazing and that our children and very successful in their Spanish learning. They have far surpassed what my husband and I learned in H.S and college! The environment is very healthy and we have had nothing but amazing relationships with the teachers that we have had. The school is also well funded with PTO fundraising, which allows our kids to have great field trips and other opportunities. We also are amazing with the Running Club. Come on campus if you are considering Longfellow at 8:45 am any week morning and see what a great community and volunteer base we have!

My son is currently in first grade at Longfellow. So far he has had two amazing teachers and we are so impressed with how much he's learned. We frequently travel to Mexico and he now orders all of our food when we go to the local restaurant on our property. I am particularly impressed with the PTO and all the great events that they plan and for the students. We feel so lucky that our child is being educated in such an enriching environment.

I am amazed by the school atmosphere, parent involvement and open communication with the administration. I have been impressed with so many areas of Longfellow. This is our second year attending Longfellow and with more kids coming in next year, we are pleased to say that we are a proud Longfellow family. The PTO is also super active and supportive and I have been blown away with the extra enrichment and activities brought in for our children. A+ in our book! It's exceeded our expectations!

Spanish Immersion Magnet School. Both my kids are reading, writing, and speaking in both English and Spanish. Since its a k-8 school, my 5th grader will continue 6-8 at the school which is the best option for middle school - small, safe, and great teachers! My kids love the school and they are bi-lingual which is something I can't give them at home.

I attended this school from K-5th grade, and everything was fine until I got into 3rd grade. I was bullied, and because of the fear of the bullies, I couldn't keep my grades up. The teachers saw, and did nothing while the other students verbally berated me and destroyed my self-confidence. I now have a very large problem with my self-image and insecurity issues. If possible, I would give this school a negative rating. Thanks Longfellow. -Submitted by a FORMER student

We are starting our fifth year at Longfellow with my third child starting this year. My first two children are fluent in Spanish now. I've been very pleased with the dedication to Spanish learning. Being a magnet school, many parents don't get involved, but the core-group of parents has a huge impact on the school. The school has a diverse make-up which I appreciate for its ups-and-downs as that is how one learns about oneself and others in preparation for life. I would enjoy more structure/discipline for the students, but I've never felt the school to be unsafe. Any prior negative reviews about the school's academic requirements are from parents who have low/no standards for their child/ren. My children have been extremely successful because I give support to my children, the staff, and the administration every day. The parents who complain about too much work are selfish and doing their children a disservice.

Last modified Longfellow K-8 is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.